Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[G2G] Creation Contest - Monster Edition [Part 1: Gameplay]

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 3:23:32 PM
Think_Blindly wrote:
Aha! Good to know. smiley: smile I was thinking of putting more but decided not to- it wouldn't be fair if I churned out a bunch of ideas when others don't. Would look like I'm trying to increase my chances.

And by the way, I like your entries!

Especially bad company- to me, it looks like the perfect way to get a strategy changing monster without too much complexity. It's basically just designing a moster only trait for it. Makes me think I went too simple.

Thanks!

I like the Sunami quite a lot actually because it's effect, while seemingly simple, can work both ways: it speeds up some slow monsters, true, but it also slows down some critters that might otherwise have rushed through a room and headed for the crystal or heroes. And with neurostun modules that later effect could be very advantageous to the player.

the Locking monster has me worried though. If monsters are meant to work for every ship, this would be a death sentence in Refreezerator games where you are limited to one single hero smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 8:17:11 PM
Code name: The Glob

Behavior:

A slow and dangerous creature. Will go to a hero and attack it. When the hero is attacked, 30 health is taken away immediately. and the hero is inflicted with a loss of 5 health per second for 6 seconds, and also the hero's defense is decreased by 1/2. It then attacks a hero that doesn't have the de-buff.

Stats:

HP max: 3

Defense: 2

Movement Speed: 1

DPS: 3

Attack Range: 2

Rational: Should be dealt with immediately. Extremely dangerous when with tons of other monsters.

Code name: The Spawn Master

Behavior:

A relatively speedy, weak monster. Doesn't attack player, but goes to the nearest hero and spawns the arachnid-like creatures from the sewer levels. Spawns a enemy every 4.5 seconds.

Stats:

HP max: 2

Defense: 1

Movement Speed: 3

DPS: 0

Attack Range: 0

Rational:

Can be ignored for a short period of time, but will need killing eventually. Also stinks very badly.

Code name: Nature's Revolt

Behavior:

A annoying creature that can hack a minor module and turn it against you. If it is offensive, it will attack you, and if it is defensive, it will buff other creatures. Hacks a module every 3.5 seconds. If no more modules in room to hack, it will go to another room. If there are no minors at all, it will attack the crystal with a low DPS. All modules are freed when the N.R. is killed.

Stats:

HP max: 2

Defense: 3

Movement Speed: 4

Attack Range: 1

Rational:

Major threat if your strategy is to have one room with all your heroes buffed by minor modules.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 8:06:05 PM
Code Name: The Siphon

Behaviour: The Siphon doesn't attack anyone rather, he steals resources over time. When left alone he will slowly take resources. He will also run from heroes rather than fight.

Stats:

Hp Max:2

Defense:1

Movement Speed:2

DPS:1

Attack Range:4

Rational: The Siphon would be a very important monster for the heroes to go after, he makes sure heroes can't sit down and just defend without getting punished. If the heroes choose to leave him be their resources will suffer immensely. A weakness of the monster would be that it can't hurt heroes. It's strictly a support monster.

Code Name: Light Seekers

Behaviour: Light Seekers can spawn in lit rooms, they also target the crystal before anything else. They only spawn when the heroes have above 80 dust. Aren't affected by pepper spray

Stats:

Hp Max:3

Defense:2

DPS:3

Attack Range:1

Rational: I've had floors where I have gotten so much dust from the dust machines that I could power nearly every room and I would just have such an easy time. This monster would help prevent such things from happening. Along with punishing heroes with a lot of dust, it also makes sure that players already having a rough time don't get taken any further down. Even though they have high DPS they are slow so that heroes at least have time to react. They also have small range. They also aren't affected by pepper spray, this is so that heroes can't just use pepper spray to keep the Seekers from reaching the crystal.

I may think of more monsters, but for now this is all I got!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 6:33:50 PM
Code name: The Ghost

Behaviour:

Priority Target: War Cry/Me First!>Lure Minor module>Crystal

Special Gameplay: Walks straight towards the crystal becoming incorporeal in every second room disallowing heroes and modules from targeting it (can still be hit by area of effect). Each unit starts either corporeal or incorporeal then proceeds to alternate each room they pass. Think of it as odd rooms passed they are incorporeal (unable to be targeted) and even rooms passed they are corporeal (able to be targeted).

Stats:

HP Max: 2

Defence: 1

Movement Speed: 2

DPS: 2

Rational:

This forces a player to move some defences or heroes to a room behind their front lines. A player could make their defences at least two rooms thick to guarantee an attack on a Ghost but this may weaken the front line of defence. However if a player only reinforces a single room a Ghost may phase through it meaning a hero will have to chase it.

Code name: The Horror

Behaviour:

Priority Target: Melee Hero=Ranged Hero=Lure Minor module>Crystal Carrying Hero

Special Gameplay: Terrifies heroes in a room causing them to attacks wildly damaging everyone in the room. This is represented by the mob dealing Damage over time * Number of Heroes in the Room.

Stats:

HP Max: 3

Defence: 3

DPS: 0 (+1 per hero in room)

Attack Range: 4 (Whole Room)

Rational:

This mob will do huge damage to a room full of heroes but will do very little to a room with only a few or no heroes. Players will need to make a choice whether to split up their heroes in order to make them more survivable or to keep them together to maximize their damage output in a certain room.

Code name: The Pick

Behaviour:

Priority Target: Hero With Lowest Level>Hero With Lowest HP>Closest Hero

Special Gameplay: Races towards the weakest hero and proceeds to attack aggressively until either they or their target are dead. They then target the next weakest enemy and so forth. Immune to distraction effects such as War Cry, Me First! and minor lure modules.

Stats:

HP Max: 2

Movement Speed: 4

DPS: 4

Rational:

If the player discovers a hero that they can't afford to hire yet they may have to defend them from this mob or risk losing them. This mob will chase down the weakest hero anywhere on the floor so players may be distracted protecting this hero when the real danger lies elsewhere. The strength of this mob lies in its ability to distract a player and kill weak heroes in a flash.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 5:36:46 PM
Code Name: Phaser

Behavior: Can skip rooms that has heroes in, only once. Just before entering the room, it'd phase/teleport to the route's next room. (Quick, goes for crystal).

Stats

HP: 2

Defence: 2

Speed: 4

DPS: 1

Range: 1

Rationale: Forces defences not just on expected junction points also strategize to put heroes in different rooms if the strategy relies on hero powers, not defenses, plus reactionary gameplay, which always makes things interesting.

--------------------
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 4:48:33 PM
Endless Defense Phantom

Behavior: Possesses a Hero character that is alone in a powered room and makes them attack Major Modules (Ignored by minor modules). Then moves toward the crystal, attacking Major Modules along the way. Disappears when they walk into another room occupied by another hero.

Extra notes: Only one or two would spawn at a time. In order to prevent entire teams being possessed. Also very rare spawn rate.

Stats: Equal to the possessed hero.

Rational: Most people seem to play with just leaving one hero who knows Operate in a room by their self and then having another character run around opening doors. And on occasion, having another hero to defend a room by themselves or with one or two other people. This mob would make people consider where to place their heroes, in relation to the rest of their team.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 4:31:19 PM
Code Name: Energy Vampire

Behavior: Causes an EMP effect in random rooms as long as it remains alive. Moves randomly and does not intentionally move to attack modules or heros.

Stats

HP: 1

Speed: 3

Range: 4

Rationale: Forces heros to rush into other rooms besides their primary chokepoint to deal with the EMP.

--------------------

Code Name: Siren

Behavior: Can Make a single hero fall asleep in the same room. Targets Hero with the most DPS.

Stats:

HP:2

Defense: 1

Speed: 2

Range: 1

Rationale: Would force people to use modules more as their primary fighter may be asleep, or they may lower their DPS to prevent their primary fighter from sleeping.

----------------

Code Name: Fwuffy Bunny/The Demon

Behavior: A bunny that has a rare chance (3% or so) to spawn in the Crystal room. The bunny sits there and looks cute, but certain overly aggressive characters may kill the bunny.

If the bunny dies to a hero, the bunny transforms into a massive Kazanji and attacks the heros in the crystal room.

Stats:

HP: 1/4

Defense: 1/4

Speed:0/1

DPS: 0/4

Range: 1/1

Rationale: Mostly meant as a joke/easter egg. Though more interactions in the game with certain characters just entertains me the most. Im imaging Gork shooting the Bunny (or maybe he has a caring side?)

And having to fight one of the most feared creatures in the Dungeon? It would make players a little more cautious with where they let their heroes walk.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 4:29:33 PM
Code name : Lightspawn

Behavior : it will go to a room and lay eggs (or dig a hole, or else) that will allow monster to spawn from that room even if it's lit or have hero in it. The eggs or hole can't be removed.

Stats :

HP max :2

Defence :1

Movement speed :4

DPS :1

Attack range :1

Rational: player risks to have a room that never will be safe, let's hope it's not near the crystal !
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 3:57:19 PM
Code name: Speedy

Behaviour:

Priority target :crystal

Special gameplay: runs toward crystal ignored by modules

Stats:

HP max - 1

Defence - 2

Movement Speed - 4

DPS - 2

Attack Range - 1

Code name: Martyr

Behaviour:

Priority target :heroes

Special gameplay: forces modules to attack it

Stats:

HP max - 4

Defence - 4

Movement Speed - 2

DPS - 2

Attack Range - 1

Code name: EMPeror

Behaviour:

Priority target :major modules

Special gameplay: when killed disable modules in room to the end of wave and buffs nearby mobs

Stats:

HP max - 3

Defence - 2

Movement Speed - 3

DPS - 2

Attack Range - 2
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 3:27:20 PM
melkathi wrote:
Thanks!

I like the Sunami quite a lot actually because it's effect, while seemingly simple, can work both ways: it speeds up some slow monsters, true, but it also slows down some critters that might otherwise have rushed through a room and headed for the crystal or heroes. And with neurostun modules that later effect could be very advantageous to the player.

the Locking monster has me worried though. If monsters are meant to work for every ship, this would be a death sentence in Refreezerator games where you are limited to one single hero smiley: smile

I feel like, if any of my entries are picked, Sunami would be the one. He is the most simple of my 3, but has the most implications via that simplicity.

I had not thought of that for LockStop! Hrm. Maybe making it basically a one hit kill would work, then. Dangerous if you don't notice it right away, or are stuck fighting other monsters? I'm stuck waiting for the el founder fix. No refreezerator for me yet, but I'm excited to try it out. I hear it is awesome.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 12, 2014, 2:20:14 PM

Hey everyone,

This is going to be one fun contest: we are giving you the ability to design your own monster for Dungeon of the Endless. This competition will be divided in 2 parts:

• The gameplay (behaviour, stats, etc.)
  • The visual and the name

Once the winner of part 1 is selected (Amplitude round, then GAMES2GETHER vote), we will be able to move on to the second part of the contest (same process). Look below for more details!

Part 1 – Gameplay

The Brief

Create a new awful creature to scare the players. Here's what you should pay attention to:

• Force the players to change their strategies when encountering it
  • The monster to be manageable without one unique setup (one particular modules or items)
  • We are looking for a “classic” monster which can be found several times by floor, rather than one very powerful creature
  • We will select proposals doable in our engine without too many developments, so use existing creatures as inspirations and don’t be too exotic!

The Entries

• Code name: the final name will be given in Part 2
  • Behaviour (see the advice!):

• Priority target (if relevant): heroes, crystal, minor modules, major modules
    • Special gameplay
  • Stats (set a number between 1 to 4 for each property):

• HP max
    • Defence
    • Movement Speed
    • DPS
    • Attack Range
  • Rational: you may explain the interest of the creature for the game

The Rules

• Don’t submit any kind of visual and background elements: this is for Part 2!
  • The proposal needs to be in English
  • You may submit several entries but are limited to three (in one post)
  • Amplitude will pick the 3 finalists who will move on to a G2G vote phase

Deadline

We will be closing part one of this contest next week, on November 18th at 5pm CET. Don't miss your chance!

Advice

• Don’t create a monster for a specific spaceship, hero, environment, etc.
  • Avoid imagining a “too smart” creature (with a complex AI)
  • Avoid creating new player interactions or interface elements
  • Keep it simple: a good concept can be summarized in one sentence
  • And again, don’t give visual and RP elements, focus on gameplay

Prize

The winner will receive:

• A unique Amplitude Forum Badge
  • His name in the credits of the game
  • A unique Dungeon of the Endless t-shirt featuring the Monster
  • 3 copies of the Founder Pack to play co-op with friends

smiley: warning Please note that Amplitude reserves the right to modify the 3 proposals and will work with the winners to finalise the design and adapt it to development constraints.

Good luck!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 3:15:07 PM
Code name: Bonus Carrier

Behavior:

Simply run toward to crystal and attack it.

When it is killed at room with major resource module (Industry , Science , Food). it gives ( Highest hero's Wit at room / 3) corresponding resource.

When it is killed at crystal room. it gives (Killer's Wit / 5) dust.

This monster will not spawn when carrying crystal to exit.

Stats

HP max: 1

Defense : 1

Movement Speed : 4

DPS : 1

Rational

This game is already hard. so I designed helpful monster. smiley: smile

but player need to voluntarily unpower his room to lure it to wanted resource module. (Very unique strategy needed!)

And this monster give some meaning to fighter based hero's Wit stat.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 3:14:58 PM
Aha! Good to know. smiley: smile I was thinking of putting more but decided not to- it wouldn't be fair if I churned out a bunch of ideas when others don't. Would look like I'm trying to increase my chances.

And by the way, I like your entries!

Especially bad company- to me, it looks like the perfect way to get a strategy changing monster without too much complexity. It's basically just designing a moster only trait for it. Makes me think I went too simple.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 2:24:15 PM
Nah, it means one single post with three entries. Before they limited entries they had the module g2g where lynx and I had fifty plus entries between the two of us smiley: wink

Then with the endless legend faction competition someone entered with two ideas in sepparate posts. So now they are beeing specific on both counts smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 1:49:25 PM
melkathi wrote:
Already over 30 entries!

Imagine we weren't restricted to three entries per person smiley: smile

I think we can do more. It says three -per post-. But more than three per one person feels like overkill. :P However, it does say you can post several. Clarification may be needed.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 12:45:34 PM
Already over 30 entries!

Imagine we weren't restricted to three entries per person smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 12:32:03 PM
Stinky

Behaviour: puts a attack debuff on everything in the room, monsters, modules and heroes and then hit with a huge aoe after a while that hits everything in the room. It will target the hero with highest wit or the lowest hp and it will leave the room when the hero does, so the hero can kite it out of important rooms and can use it to help take down mobs.

Priority target: hero with highest wit/lowest hp hero

Stats

• HP max: 2
  • Defence: 1
  • Movement Speed: 3
  • DPS: 1
  • Attack Range: 4

Rational: Make a creature that forces the player to move out of strong defences and also have a different approach to killing dangerous mobs.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 11:45:37 AM
Thief

• Behaviour:

• Priority target: Hero

• If not already done, each attack has a chance to steal a random item from the hero’s inventory.

• Once the Thief is killed, the item will be dropped in a chest as normal

• (As there is currently no item trading in multiplayer, it might be necessary to have the chest only collectible by the owner, or similar)

• Stats

• HP max: 3

• Defence: 2

• Movement Speed: 3

• DPS: 2

• Attack Range: 1

• Rational: This unit adds a classic roguelike moment of things potentially going wrong, e.g. perhaps your Hero’s weapon is taken during a fight and your DPS is suddenly dropped. Or maybe your Tool Belt is taken and it doesn’t matter at all!
  • Nothing will ever be permanently lost, but should require some presence of mind from the player to collect and re-equip the lost item after combat is finished.

Sneak

• Behaviour:

• Priority target: Crystal > Crystal Carrier

• Immune/invisible to all minor modules

• Stats

• HP max: 2

• Defence: 2

• Movement Speed: 2 (or if possible, preferable behaviour is to move fast but spawn late, after other mobs are already engaged with heroes)

• DPS: 3

• Attack Range: 1

• Rational: The idea is to ensure players are kept observant, this unit is intended to be a big threat but easily dealt with if spotted by moving a hero to attack it (it should die in 1-2 hits). E.g. if the unit makes it to a chokepoint, a hero would be briefly moved to the next room to kill the Sneak, and then moved back again.

0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 13, 2014, 11:36:58 AM
Codename: Jester

Behaviour: Accompanies other monsters and absorbs damage instead of them. This monster is always considered as a first priority target for all turrets and heroes. Targets heroes but instead of attacking just forces heroes and turrets to kill it before any real threat.

Stats:

HP max: 4

Defence: 2

Movement speed: 2

Attack range: -

Rational:

Simple meat shield that can wreak quite havoc to your defense plans. Whichever it helps more anti-hero monsters to get attacking undamaged or lets anti-module monsters to break your defences in peace, Jester would be guaranteed to rank up difficulty of any setup. It could be countered by using area damage modules and pepper spray. Actually, it would be hilarious if pepper spray would make all other creatures attack Jester.
0Send private message
Comment