Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Pirates and why the third options dosent work

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 18, 2012, 2:59:41 PM
The thing if they are outcastst they dont have the resources to leave the planet!
0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 19, 2012, 12:49:18 AM
znork wrote:
The thing if they are outcastst they dont have the resources to leave the planet!

Well, organised crime makes a few hundred billion euros per year on earth right now. I agree that they'd probably not be the first people to go into space, nor the second. They'd probably become a problem once spacecraft are available for business people, not before.

Then you'll just have to make the criminals other race's criminals, offsprings etc. The only logical problem is, that beside the endless there are hardly any factions (that I've read of, so far, at least...) that could produce such criminal outcasts and spread them over the whole galaxy.

By the way, I voted for the aliens, too. An easier explanation for everything, that way. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 19, 2012, 8:00:29 AM
Pirates are ubiquitous. Pirates have existed in every era and come from every country; from the Greek and Roman eras through the Vikings and the era of colonialization up through Somalia today. Pirates have been Chinese, British, Malay, French, Philippine, American, Dutch, Ottoman, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese... There have been coastal empires whose governments encouraged piracy (or privateers, a question of point of view) as part of their military strategy like Maratha in India or the Barbary corsairs, not to mention the European governments who used privateers as an extension of their colonial policies. In short, as long as there have been means of transport and things of value there has been piracy. Probably the only country in history that hasn't had pirates is Switzerland, and maybe the Vatican City. But I digress.

To be precise, piracy only exists under a very particular set of conditions:

• Sufficient skilled seamen (or in this case, technicians) to run a fairly complex ship, and who are desperate or greedy enough to choose this line of work,
  • Enough trade or settlements that there are worthwhile prizes to take or colonies to plunder,
  • Friendly or neutral ports where they can repair and purchase supples, and
  • Scarce enough law enforcement that the risk is worth the reward.

The universe of Endless Space, as we see it, fulfills all four of these requirements -- at least early in the game. There will be eight factions in the game, but they are not the only peoples out there in space. Pirates could easily come from an undiscovered faction, a minor planet, a bunch of renegades living in an old hulk of an Endless ship, etc. And as long as the empires in the game are growing, and there are solar systems that are not under the influence of a faction, pirates could certainly use those systems as safe havens.

There are also occasions, admittedly rare, when pirates banded together for joint operations, such as the "Brethren of the Coast" and Drake's ragtag army when he raided Panama. There even more examples of criminal cartels where enemies pull together to promote their common goals, from South American drug lords to the mafia to Eastern European syndicates.

But if you guys don't like criminal pirates, don't vote for them, and you'll never hear from them again smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 19, 2012, 9:04:24 AM
From where i see it slowhands is that the it would be more like cristopher columbus beeing radided by capitain black bill on his way to americas. There has to be som civilaztion first before the pirates can apeare. so they have to come later in the game.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 19, 2012, 6:15:07 PM
Id have to concur with znork. Its illogical to have those kind of ppl out there.... especially if there are not enough shipsizes researched etc...

"Oh I just saw a massive pirateship while all I have is a small ship... and we are the same species... ZOMG!!!" - that makes less sense.

Having all three types during different stages of the game could be a better way to look at it and also dependent on the state of the galaxy. A ancient galaxy with a well developed empire to start with might have pirates that are brigands... while a new galaxy with non-developed empires that just realised there are stars to travel among would favor the aliens.

So why not just use all three depending on the type of game???! Is it really that hard to have three different bios to load or are there ship-designs specifically thought out for these? If some are pieced together then it might not do something if they are just built together from different parts of the 3D-models of the other ships (scavenging type)
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 18, 2012, 11:35:18 AM
So for thosse of you that have been fowlowing the votes the devs have now asked us to vote for som ship design and the pirate bio.

there are 3 difrant cenarios beeing layed out for pirates alianse, fantics and criminals. Ill asume you have read them on the web page.

My point is that the 3.rd option the criminals the one most of you like cant posably work. If we asume you are new spices in this world and we are now about the explorer the galaxy how can the pirates be criminals? This are bascly warlords they are talking about in the descrption.

So my argument would be that if they are criminals they have to come late game. after you civ has become bigger.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 19, 2012, 6:41:28 PM
znork wrote:
From where i see it slowhands is that the it would be more like cristopher columbus beeing radided by capitain black bill on his way to americas. There has to be som civilaztion first before the pirates can apeare. so they have to come later in the game.

The pirates are not just from your race.He just stated that.

There will be eight factions in the game, but they are not the only peoples out there in space. Pirates could easily come from an undiscovered faction, a minor planet, a bunch of renegades living in an old hulk of an Endless ship, etc.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 19, 2012, 11:58:46 PM
why not have the "pirates" like the reapers from Firefly/Serenity? mad, blood thrusty, crazy pirates who just want to cause havok and death? ok again may not work until abit later in the game but that would be cool to have barrage after barrage of ships coming at you, kinda a "Gears Horde Mode" in space!
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 20, 2012, 12:02:18 AM
Pirates could simply be anyone that picked up an old Endless wrech and figured out how to make it run... fit on a couple torp tubes or some pop pop rail guns and voila!

pull over or we'll pull your cargo from the wreckage.

any time there is a precursor race with random bits left around it is easy to conceive of someone finding said tech and deciding to reap personal gains rather than the good of their race.

I don't see why this is soo far-fetched and hard for people to believe. I mean is Somalia a high tech haven?
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 20, 2012, 5:48:18 AM
Alderbranch wrote:
Id have to concur with znork. Its illogical to have those kind of ppl out there.... especially if there are not enough shipsizes researched etc...

"Oh I just saw a massive pirateship while all I have is a small ship... and we are the same species... ZOMG!!!" - that makes less sense.

Having all three types during different stages of the game could be a better way to look at it and also dependent on the state of the galaxy. A ancient galaxy with a well developed empire to start with might have pirates that are brigands... while a new galaxy with non-developed empires that just realised there are stars to travel among would favor the aliens.

So why not just use all three depending on the type of game???! Is it really that hard to have three different bios to load or are there ship-designs specifically thought out for these? If some are pieced together then it might not do something if they are just built together from different parts of the 3D-models of the other ships (scavenging type)

SpaceTroll wrote:
that's why I would not have chosen the third option smiley: wink

so guys you have until Wednesday night to CHANGE YOUR MIND!!! smiley: smile

(I am not sure what the rules are... can I take sides?)

Ofcourse you can take sides. It just means the devs are involved in the community and thus the effect you are after. If this is to be G2G then you should have your opinion right here and right now. Get up on the palisades and roar like the rest of the nutters in here. ^^

Ashbery76 wrote:
The pirates are not just from your race.He just stated that.

Yeah he did state that but he did not take into account interracial problems with fighting amongst themselves etc. Try get the factions to get along that normally fight in the game under the same roof. And if there are undiscovered races then thats aliens no?

Having all three loading dependent on the game type is still the best.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 20, 2012, 7:05:57 AM
Maulka wrote:
why not have the "pirates" like the reapers from Firefly/Serenity? mad, blood thrusty, crazy pirates who just want to cause havok and death? ok again may not work until abit later in the game but that would be cool to have barrage after barrage of ships coming at you, kinda a "Gears Horde Mode" in space!

Exactly my thoughts. Though i based my examples in other forum on Zuuls and raiders from Homeworld.

I want to see a nomadic raiders that are present everywhere in the galaxy (one base of operation that spawns fleets that raid local stars) rather than criminals or fanatics. Those can launch slaver raids, capture lone ships, raid colonies and outposts etc.

The whole criminal world that each race may have as well as fanatics, 'green peace' like organisations etc. could be represented by random events (with options or not) based on a system`s security level, approval or even current research. Some examples: pirates raiding a non-protected system with developing colonies (blocking any income from it until you send a fleet there), fanatics protesting against exploration of the temple threatening you with terror attacks, pro-purity organisation protesting against a specific bio/cyber/other tech, a gang that harasses the local population (can be bribed or eradicated).
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment