logo amplifiers simplified

Automaton - Ship Design Competition!

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 7:32:37 PM
Here they are gentlemen, enjoy.

Large Ship Design and initial ideas:

The "dreadnought", the two pronged, swirly, ribbed, massive ship and all the other tid-bits ill use later in my designs. Hopefully you can see what each bit is on the ship, such as the half cog "flags" and the circle, circle, circle engine.

Small Ship Designs:

The smaller ships, i really like these ideas and i will obviously tweak these later.

Other Ship Designs:

A "destroyer", a "battleship" and the one on the bottom is my least favorite design out of all of these.

Large Ship Side and some reference pictures i used:

Yeah, here i used the Automaton model to get a feel for the design and of course a "Dreadnought" side view.

Please provide some suggestions and advice for improvements to my designs. You may take ideas from these designs of course, so long as i get mentioned and get an ES art book out of it i am ok with it, very serious. Special thanks to stasik28 for some shape stealing and kick starter idea-ring and also to Panzer and that. Pretty much used bits and pieces from the Automaton model exclusively. The actual texture of the ships should be fiddly and interesting, not flat as i have drawn it, that was for simplicity's sake; and to a un-sharpened pencil and thick pen.

EDIT: Yes i drew them all on sticky notes, ill beef them out with GIMP later.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 11:56:42 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:
Here they are gentlemen, enjoy.

Large Ship Design and initial ideas:

The "dreadnought", the two pronged, swirly, ribbed, massive ship and all the other tid-bits ill use later in my designs. Hopefully you can see what each bit is on the ship, such as the half cog "flags" and the circle, circle, circle engine.

Small Ship Designs:

The smaller ships, i really like these ideas and i will obviously tweak these later.

Other Ship Designs:

A "destroyer", a "battleship" and the one on the bottom is my least favorite design out of all of these.

Large Ship Side and some reference pictures i used:

Yeah, here i used the Automaton model to get a feel for the design and of course a "Dreadnought" side view.

Please provide some suggestions and advice for improvements to my designs. You may take ideas from these designs of course, so long as i get mentioned and get an ES art book out of it i am ok with it, very serious. Special thanks to stasik28 for some shape stealing and kick starter idea-ring and also to Panzer and that. Pretty much used bits and pieces from the Automaton model exclusively. The actual texture of the ships should be fiddly and interesting, not flat as i have drawn it, that was for simplicity's sake; and to a un-sharpened pencil and thick pen.

EDIT: Yes i drew them all on sticky notes, ill beef them out with GIMP later.

Very good! (damn :P) That actually looks similar to my 2nd type of concept, but yes, please edit them smiley: stickouttongue some of them looks very sketchy (last destroyer pic) and some "beefiing" would be cool smiley: biggrin

Igncom1 wrote:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080420220104/stargate/images/b/b5/Orifleet112A.jpg

I think the Ori ships could have a cool look to the automations form an archtectuial standpoint.

http://cdn.static.ovimg.com/episode/335385.jpg

And from a industrial/city standpoint the city of adlantis could also be a good choice.

Lol All the stargate!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 12:14:50 AM
stasik28 wrote:
Very good! (damn :P) That actually looks similar to my 2nd type of concept, but yes, please edit them smiley: stickouttongue some of them looks very sketchy (last destroyer pic) and some "beefiing" would be cool smiley: biggrin

Lol All the stargate!

The "beefing up" is basically clearing it up and making it look nicer and adding some depth to the designs. In the end i hope that most of these designs will have front views, side views, diagonal views, under views and top views for each of them. I still have not found a design for the cruiser yet, but the general feel is there so if i get nominated and i don't have a design for the cruiser, im sure they can whisk something up. Ill get back to you guys on Saturday, i might have the Transport ship full concept done or halfway done by then.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 1:25:18 AM
Same with my own 2 transport concepts :O (one being similar to what I've already posted, and another being the one I was talking about, that's similar to your ship in design. I'll make a quick version of yours in case some people don't understand it (message me if you want some specific stuff and/or if you don't want me to do it :P)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 3:59:19 AM
Here we go at 4 in the morning, been working on this for the past few hours refining and clearing the small ship design for you guys:

Yeah... im totally going to bed now. Ill continue this is the morning, i feel like doing the other small class ship and the dread tomorrow.

Edit: This is not all done yet, this is just how far i am willing to go for now until i find out if this small class will be the workshop// culler or the cutter. I still have minor things to do with this but it is practically done, i have limited experience with gimp so i cannot really be fancy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 4:19:54 AM
I have some questions about the Automatons. Given the lore has them tending planets like gardens, wouldn’t they then learn something from all the exposure to biology? They’d have to learn quite a bit just to tend the environment well.

What I’m getting at is they may be the opposite end of the equation from the Cravers. The Cravers are biology seeking to incorporate machinery to enhance itself. Wouldn’t the Automatons be machinery looking to incorporate biology to better itself?

Just as we tend to see a reflection of ourselves in our machines, the Automatons may see a reflection of the mechanical in biology as a form of naturally occurring nano-machinery. From there I’d expect to see a reflection of these biological influences in the things they build.

I’d also like to note we wouldn’t be expecting to build our starships to look like giant people flying around the stars (although that has shown up in science fiction at times). Should we expect the Automotons to build their ships to look like gigantic versions of themselves?

Anyway, just some questions and ideas to ponder.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 7:27:59 AM
I though we were doing gigantic automatons in space? O_O

But they are close to biology because their creators killed their world, and they were designed never to let that happen, anyway, they're machines, I don't think they have the thoughts and stuff to help them comprehend nature? lol idk :P

Digitalhawk96 wrote:
Here we go at 4 in the morning, been working on this for the past few hours refining and clearing the small ship design for you guys:

Yeah... im totally going to bed now. Ill continue this is the morning, i feel like doing the other small class ship and the dread tomorrow.

Edit: This is not all done yet, this is just how far i am willing to go for now until i find out if this small class will be the workshop// culler or the cutter. I still have minor things to do with this but it is practically done, i have limited experience with gimp so i cannot really be fancy.

Haha yea, one always wants to finish their products when they're that close, no matter the time :P It's great, but you should upload it somewhere with a link to it because this one is a bit hard to see smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 12:59:20 PM
stasik28 wrote:
I though we were doing gigantic automatons in space?

Watched your animations - they are nice. Was thinking about how-to make ships more long& more rotating elements. Made some sketch for cruiser ships (they got 2cp, so 2 cores):

0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 3:02:47 PM
A lot of cool ideas here! I hope more entries that have as much personality as D96's come along, it's always cool to look at such cool drawings. I really like the ruggedy feeling of those ships. It will be cool to have the automatons have their "own thing" going on with the ships smiley: smile

Can't wait to see your other sketches cleared up, too. Very good work! I like how the cleared up version is very complex and rugged but still gives a sense of exact precision, which is what clockwork is all about.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 9:12:50 PM
Considering that all the races use some kind of reaction engine for STl travel (As FTL is the same), where will the thurst be applyed?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 11:20:23 PM
LNQ wrote:
A lot of cool ideas here! I hope more entries that have as much personality as D96's come along, it's always cool to look at such cool drawings. I really like the ruggedy feeling of those ships. It will be cool to have the automatons have their "own thing" going on with the ships smiley: smile

Can't wait to see your other sketches cleared up, too. Very good work! I like how the cleared up version is very complex and rugged but still gives a sense of exact precision, which is what clockwork is all about.

I would like the Automatons to have a heavy but delicate feel, big plated ships with light, delicate cogs and disc shapes etc. Yeah, i would prefer if my designs had smaller cog teeth, but i just cannot seem to be able to draw them smaller. My knowledge with Gimp is rather limited.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 11:21:05 PM
I have made my first attempt at entering this contest, but seeing as how I don't have a drawing pad and my skills with scanning material are somewhat dubious, I decided to recreate one of my sketches in paint.

Edit: Added a few more/improved my first sketch

And one more:

I realized after I was finished that the orbs in the center were supposed to be bigger, so just use your imagination.

Just to provide some comparison, here is a picture of a Horatio ship if so you can decide whether they are too similar or not

0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 11:36:27 PM
For me keypoints of the automaton artwork were:

- skeletonish

- cogwheels

- slightly overboarding metalrings/-stripes

- slightly disfigured/unpractical

- glowy orbs

Obviously not all of would be upscaled reasonably (giant human skeletons in spaaace, or lots of moving bits to construct spacecrafts not to mention moving giant cogwheels), but i think rule of cool should trump most concerns here. Dust is basically magic after all.

The general idea was that the space ships should be build based on the same technologies as the automatons themselves.

I interpreted the glowy orb things as the new and improved dust-based power source mentioned in the lore. As the use of dust as a power source also caused sentience i decided that those orbs should be used to represent data processing. Therefore i put them all over the place thinking of independent sub systems and i put one (or two linked) central system for power distribution and overall decision-making.

With that in mind i started sketching and this is what has come from that so far.

Both turned out slightly more steampunk, than i had in mind, but worth uploading i think.

The first (and rather unclean) sketch turned out to be a bulky ship, with lots of different design elements. So i guess it would be a sketch for a dreadnaught.

The other one seems rather heavily focused on engines/subsystems so it's probably a corvette (that was the one with cheaper support stuff, wasn't it?) smiley: smile

Here we go: Feedback appreciated, more sketches may be added to entry, et cetera...

Also *.zip couldn't be uploaded. Maybe too big? Which formats/image-sizes would be preferable anyway?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 12:51:32 AM
Bla: You have some great artwork right there! I also very much like how you interpret the lore I painstakingly created. The first ship is probably my more favored one, even though it is so bulky and seemingly random!

Kareal: If I could only draw well enough to replicate that, the design I would present would be insane...

FarOceans: They are a machine race that have achieved a level of sentience equaling our own through the intervention of dust in their systems. Although the Automatons cherish and care for nature, they do not attempt to emulate it because they view it as something that has its own existence that they cannot be entirely a part of and for this very reason they live in Gigantic flying platforms above their worlds, and their ships are simply modified platforms for non atmospheric flight. The Automatons don't wish to be closer to nature, they accept who they are and what they are, its more like they simply cherish and protect nature like a human caring for thier garden making sure nothing goes wrong with it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 1:14:32 AM
The thing that worries me about asynchronous ships, and don't get me wrong a little imbalance in geometry is sort of the Automaton's thing, is that if you make the asynchronization too obvious then it kind of feels odd. You have a whole fleet of identical ships and each one has the exact same element of randomness. It makes you wonder what the ship builders were thinking smiley: stickouttongue. But I have to say, amazing art Bla.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 1:29:47 AM
Dr__Soul wrote:
Watched your animations - they are nice. Was thinking about how-to make ships more long& more rotating elements. Made some sketch for cruiser ships (they got 2cp, so 2 cores):

I'm sorry I don't understand, you want an oval-ish shaped thing rotating around two balls who each have their own rings?

Javarino wrote:
I have made my first attempt at entering this contest, but seeing as how I don't have a drawing pad and my skills with scanning material are somewhat dubious, I decided to recreate one of my sketches in paint.

Edit: Added a few more/improved my first sketch

A scout ship is a corvette, and the ship after it is a destroyer, not a frigate smiley: stickouttongue

bla0815 wrote:
Here we go: Feedback appreciated, more sketches may be added to entry, et cetera...

Also *.zip couldn't be uploaded. Maybe too big? Which formats/image-sizes would be preferable anyway?

you could upload it on imgur and just post its link

Kareal wrote:
Dreadnaught concept where the engines would be in the exact center...

Sure I'll do that :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 1:38:28 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
Considering that all the races use some kind of reaction engine for STl travel (As FTL is the same), where will the thurst be applyed?

What is this STl travel you're talking about? If that's an L, do you mean slower than light?
0Send private message
Comment