Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Planets with visible population

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:38:48 PM
do u guys have like light coming put from the planets, like from space if ur close enogh u would be able to see all the light froom the cities. will u guys implement something like that into the game? becuase that would be cool and like when an enemy race attack your planet it would also be cool to see like a battered planet kinda like in mass effect 3
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:47:01 PM
I like your first idea, the level of this "light show" could be tied to the population growth.

The Mass Effect thing I'm not so hot on...... Maybe I'm just still bitter about the ending, though...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:55:08 PM
I like the idea of the planets reflecting the number of population or technology path or level too, I think small touches like maybe adding a satellite or two orbiting it, or some other indicator of its development would be a nice bit of fluff. I was thinking that a highly industrial world world have atmospheric smog effects or a highly technical world would show lots of technological fluff, such as inter continental expressways glowing on the surface.

This would be nice on the moons too, to actually see the effects of your presence over time would be a nice touch overall, even better if the visuals had a random pool of effects to choose from.

Edit: Also I agree that worlds under attack or being disputed over should show some battle scars and for a while after these are resolved, it would be nice to see the effects of a world rebuilding itself over time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 2:02:46 PM
I Like that Idea that somehow the Tech or civilization Level could be reflected visually. Maybe even some Buildings shown on the Planets. Or maybe even go further with groundunits fighting on a very high zoomlevel. Dunno if the Engine is capable of doing such things.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 2:16:36 PM
Definitely a plus, though it's a detail. The more a game UI becomes easy to read with a single eye contact (especially in strategy games where there is so much information to check each turn/moment), the better it is but the time investment for both devs and graphic designers will be somehow huge. Endless Space definitely looks like a triple A already, even if many choices mades are done according to the KISS principle (Keep it simple stupid). It's all about efficiency and according to my yet short experience of the game, it works.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 4:37:45 PM
madgiraf wrote:
Definitely a plus, though it's a detail. The more a game UI becomes easy to read with a single eye contact (especially in strategy games where there is so much information to check each turn/moment), the better it is but the time investment for both devs and graphic designers will be somehow huge. Endless Space definitely looks like a triple A already, even if many choices mades are done according to the KISS principle (Keep it simple stupid). It's all about efficiency and according to my yet short experience of the game, it works.

Would be very practical and useful besides cool. The engine seems capable of doing it, if not, then something in that style.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 5:14:12 PM
That light thing would be really awesome. It might give you the idea that you are actually building something on your planet.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 6:12:15 PM
Good ideas - I think that I would like to see some damage after i've been invading a systems for a number of turns. Many little bits and bobs like this coudl really add layers of immersion to the core game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 6:34:21 PM
In close up view there are city lights on the planet tied to the population count. It is hard to spot on low pop planets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 9:55:39 PM
This is so far my only problem with the game (other than bugs, but hey, alpha). It feels like the worlds have so little character and that development and race don't come into play very much (from a visual perspective) A few textures, satellites and other minor visual representations of the growth of my people would really draw me into the game. I'm sure MoO2 gets harped on alot here but being able to zoom in and see the city (and the battles raging in it when relevant) really pulled me into the world. I'm not saying that level of scale is necessary to achieve the same effect, but it is certainly an effect worth reaching towards as it bring a galaxy to life!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 10:33:29 PM
In regards to the engine being able to do it, some thoughts on perhaps the quickest and probably most engine accessible way of doing it....

Perhaps have a texture that blends in with the existing planet texture so initially when a colony is young you just have the planets surface texture, then as the infrastructure/tech level of a civilisation increases then the 'city' texture is blended more to give the appearance of civilisation becoming firmly established.

Similar approach could be used to represent recent bombardment damage.

Downside perhaps is potentially increasing the memory load needed to display system and planet screens however (Not just to 'hold' the extra textures but also because of more shader passes needed to be done).

I will admit though that my knowledge of such things is very limited and confined to engines built around Unity3D rather than ground up self developed engines. smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment