Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Sell ships, Mercenary flotillas.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:02:36 PM
The ablity to hire Mercenary fleets to supliment your own forces in a time of crisis. High cost that increases ovetime to prevent constant use and they should be able to use up-to-date weapons and ships.

This way we can get more out of the pirate models, and it gives less industrial or advanced races the ablity to defend themselves with their dust (In a non-literal sence)

We could even have coperations to hire from for additional support eliments.

smiley: cool Like it? hate it? ideas and suggestions welcome!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:17:13 PM
This would be cool, also these mercenary fleets could have their own heroes, so you wouldn't necessarily need to get that pilot/commander early game and have him sit in one of your colonies to gain levels for endgame.

also one idea popped into my mind while reading this, what if players could put their fleets for hire? of course there would be some basic mercenary teams but the option to put your owns fleets there would be cool, and a nice way for a military oriented race to earn money while keeping good diplomatic relations with their neighbors.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:19:52 PM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
This would be cool, also these mercenary fleets could have their own heroes, so you wouldn't necessarily need to get that pilot/commander early game and have him sit in one of your colonies to gain levels for endgame.

also one idea popped into my mind while reading this, what if players could put their fleets for hire? of course there would be some basic mercenary teams but the option to put your owns fleets there would be cool, and a nice way for a military oriented race to earn money while keeping good diplomatic relations with their neighbors.

What, like designating a fleet to do merc work for dust? Cool but couldent a enemy with money just have your ships killed? thats what id do.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:20:38 PM
I like it. More than once I've been invaded and had to spend 20+ turns terraforming and in general just industrialising my systems to build a decent fleet. Being able to just hire a fleet or two would be great to deal with problems like that.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:24:15 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
What, like designating a fleet to do merc work for dust? Cool but couldent a enemy with money just have your ships killed? thats what id do.

yeah designating one of your fleets (or more if you wish) to do the merc work for dust, I'd use mercs as cannon fodder as well. But that choice would be awesome if you have extra military and don't need it right at that moment, or during a multiplayer game, where you could rent your fleets for your friend for a price!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:26:25 PM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
yeah designating one of your fleets (or more if you wish) to do the merc work for dust, I'd use mercs as cannon fodder as well. But that choice would be awesome if you have extra military and don't need it right at that moment, or during a multiplayer game, where you could rent your fleets for your friend for a price!

Well as long as you make them pay half up front incase they are just wasting your ship it would still be worth it.

And the ablity to rent to the pirates would be awsome, incase no ones buying.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:35:31 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Well as long as you make them pay half up front incase they are just wasting your ship it would still be worth it.

And the ablity to rent to the pirates would be awsome, incase no ones buying.

I was thinking that the payment could be done totally up front, pay 1000 dust to have this fleet for 10 turns or something similar.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:37:39 PM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
I was thinking that the payment could be done totally up front, pay 1000 dust to have this fleet for 10 turns or something similar.

Well a matinace cost works better as you can detirmine how long you should need them for by your economy, like 200 up frount and 10 a turn, increasing by 2 a turn.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:42:50 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Well a matinace cost works better as you can detirmine how long you should need them for by your economy, like 200 up frount and 10 a turn, increasing by 2 a turn.

yeah that might be, also there could be some extra payment if the fleet gets destroyed or something.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:45:01 PM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
yeah that might be, also there could be some extra payment if the fleet gets destroyed or something.

Insurance! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:47:57 PM
i think this has some possibility, perhaps as a random encounter.

Also I don't like the idea of merc ships being buyable AND the ability to buy ships through dust use. I think a better plan would be to make the merc ships "rentable/ leaseable", ie you pay so much down, then so much every month, etc. more like true mercs (ie: they would require more than one payment to continue in your service, perhaps this could have the added advantage of NOT adding to you ship upkeep cost).

This would give you an option of high single payout + upkeep cost vs ongoing cost. This would have to be balanced/ tweaked, but you get the idea.

Personally I think that dust should speed production maybe 50% but not make it a 1 turn deal, because face it, if this was real life, no matter how much cash you through at SOME things, you couldn't get them ALL in one turn. I think the ability to buy a load of ships in one turn only will encourage cheating, specially in multiplayer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:54:49 PM
Slar wrote:
i think this has some possibility, perhaps as a random encounter.

Also I don't like the idea of merc ships being buyable AND the ability to buy ships through dust use. I think a better plan would be to make the merc ships "rentable/ leaseable", ie you pay so much down, then so much every month, etc. more like true mercs (ie: they would require more than one payment to continue in your service, perhaps this could have the added advantage of NOT adding to you ship upkeep cost).

This would give you an option of high single payout + upkeep cost vs ongoing cost. This would have to be balanced/ tweaked, but you get the idea.

Personally I think that dust should speed production maybe 50% but not make it a 1 turn deal, because face it, if this was real life, no matter how much cash you through at SOME things, you couldn't get them ALL in one turn. I think the ability to buy a load of ships in one turn only will encourage cheating, specially in multiplayer.

Ships you buy with dust still take a turn to be finished, and isent paying the mercs the same as upkeep? because dust is your money, it would be the same.

The high front cost prevents any old race from buying ships for a single turn of combat and then dismissing them.

And yes rushbying mutable things at once is kinda wierd but considering the costs implied, it adds up. smiley: stickouttongue

And as a random encounter? mercs should be there for when you need them, not when thay decide to show up otherwise it would just be pointless to have this idea at all....they could apear after a war is done, just pointless.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment