Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 11:51:49 PM
FlamingKetchup wrote:
EffAMES wrote:
third rule: an emlematic district upgrading an existing one should only add things but not remove basic necessary functions.

EffAMES wrote:
- Huns/Mongols emlematic district: Ordu/Orda - third rule

This one, I don't agree with (the rest are quite accurate). Huns and Mongols are very strong solely by there Emblematic unit, and the Emblematic District is a well deserved penalty that helps represent their nomadic nature.

just because something is more realistic or historically accurate doesn't mean it's better for the overall game balance/feel.
why don't we just turn all the cities back into outposts because the cultures had no cities.
and all of a sudden all the people would scream what the shit is about.

For me it doesn't feel good to remove a basic necessary game mechanic just like that. also it makes it impossible to get expansion stars because only connected terretories are counted. so another mechanic that is removed with this.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 1:05:44 AM

Why have emblematic districts restricted to that era? You should still be able to build them (But with higher costs) so you keep more of the unique culture. With the pacing issues in this game, it would help. Currently, you are rushing to get out your embematic district before switching over, but if you could continue building, the desicion becomes simpler and is more about fame. It doesn't makes sense you suddenly forget how to make the districts.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 5:04:21 AM
RandomRandy wrote:

Harappans ability bugged "+1 food to district" gives +1 food to district and exploatation

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this appears to be true for any bonus that says "+X yield on district producing yield". It massively affects the Joseon because the Seowon gives +3 research on district producing research, which affects all coastal tiles being exploited. If a city has multiple territories you can stack this bonus for each Seowon.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 12:21:26 PM

Scientist focus seems to be pretty terrible right now.

Because for some reason you need to research 15 techs to get full stars, but only 12 are in each Era. Other people only need to research 10. (science stars should be reduce to 12 needed for full)
Another issue is that going full science means you stuck at everything else. (meaning no other stars are easy to get)
Until you hit the OP Joseon, any other culture will produce similar science to you.

And please limit all those bonis that stack infinitely.
Per pop needs a maximum, per territory too, per trade route too etc.

Name bonis that increase all tile yields as such, it's really difficult to understand otherwise.
And those also should stack infinitely or things like the Seowon should only affect the territory it's in.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 5:20:03 PM

Militarist ability to create militia units need a cost, it become very strong as the militia units become stronger but while other military units become more expensive in both industry and population costs, the militia units never increase in cost.

I'm not sure about expansionist ability as ransacking outpost is much faster and also give you money while it only cost some influence to place a new outpost in the territory.

Players with scientist affinity need to research more technologies than those without this affinity, probably because of scientist ability to research an era ahead, this is a quite huge disadvantage no other affinity have, more so since scientist main era stars are harder for them to get than they should be.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 5:30:38 PM

I like what Amplitude has done with the affinities. Having both a passive and active ability is fun, and makes the choice of a culture feel much more substantial in affecting the way I play the game. 

I didn't play enough different cultures to make much commentary on balance. However, I do feel that Carthage's Legacy Trait (50% discount on all gold buyouts) is too strong. 25% percent seems much more reasonable. I feel the same way about the Franks' Legacy Trait. +50% food is pretty nuts.

Speaking of food, any emblematic districts with yields based on population were really quite explosive in my experience. Barays come to mind.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 6:03:25 PM

About the cultures:

Ancient era

• Assyrians emblematic quarter is inferior to than the normal garrison.
  • Babylonians powerful EQ, lackuster trait, probably fine.
  • Egyptian and Harappans traits are bugged and apply to all terrain, not just districts. Harappan EQ is weak and could also exploit industry to have synergy with watermill.
  • Hittites is fine, but if a bit boring given that their EQ is not permament.
  • Mycenaeans, a strong trait but the EQ is quite weak.
  • Nubians fine.
  • Olmecs the trait is lackluster now with population giving influence (the same can be said about liberty ideology), the EQ seems fine.
  • Phoenicians the increased rush buy cost make their trait much less useful and their EQ need fishing (and so do other emblematic harbors) which is strange given that cultures with emblematic garrisons don't need city defence to build their EQ.
  • Zhou is a big winner on the stability and pop influence changes, the EQ should probably be able to be placed anywhere to make its mountain adjacency easier to use.
Classical era:
  • Achaemenid Persians is very powerful now with a powerful legacy trait, giving them maybe 6 city cap while everyone else would have 4. Immortals are quite good given the lack of an anti cavalry upgrade in classical era.

• Aksumites their trait seems very weak, the EQ is dependent on spreading religion but I think it is fine, the emblematic unit could be a bit better, just now it is only somewhat stronger than the swordsman.

• Carthaginians same issues as Phoenicians.

• Celts and Maya have similar issue with their traits as Egypt and harrapans, making them much stronger than they should be.

• Goths and Romans are both have a weak emblematic quarter. Goths have the issue their emblematic unit is on a leaf tech which do very little except unlocking horsemen. Roman unit come very late in classical era, roman trait (and all army cap increases) hardly do anything at all.

• Greeks have a very strong unit, the hoplite, the trait and EQ is nothing special and is ok in terms of powerlevel.

• Huns trait is very powerful especially given it apply to their unit. They can use their ability to move population to their ordus to create huge amount of hordes, probably too powerful for its era given that the classical era lack both a generic anti cavalry unit and ranged unit.

• Mauryans their trait depend on Independent People which often make it pretty lackluster the unit and district are fine.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 6:11:13 PM

I really felt in this open dev that every era had lots of cultures I was excited to play and that every affinity (except militarist, because I try to play peaceful games) had something to offer. That being said, there are a few things I felt could be improved slightly. For the merchant affinity, I often found that all the luxury deposits in territories were already built and that I could not use the ability. It was really nice when I did get a chance to use it, but it only came up a few times. Maybe being able to use it in unclaimed territories? But that feels a little too strong. For asthete I still don't really understand cultural conversion and even when I did not focus on influence I never really had any of territories converted to other cultures so the ability didn't seem that useful. I found the science and industry abilities to be great as is, and they were really helpful in getting me caught up and building everything in my construction queue.

Now for agrarian, which is my favorite playstyle. I did not know it was on a fixed cooldown and thought it still opperated like in previous open devs where excess food helped you use the ability more. Knowing it is a fixed cooldown means that food becomes less important of a resource. Once you have enough food being produced in your city to sustain your population, which is not too hard if you choose a few agrarian cultures, there seems to be no real benefit in investing more in food. Why build a farmer's quarter or a food producing eq if excess food does nothing? All other resources do more if you produce extra, but food seems to be an outlier which makes it far less useful.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 2:35:15 AM

Aesthete:

Both abilities are useless, couse the influence mechanic only generates war support and grievances. That are useless without an army, worse, they are actually hindering if you don't have an army because it annoys your neighbours and make them go to war with you. Without that army, it's suicide. So if based on those traits alone Aesthete should NEVER be the choice. If I want to go to war I would take militarist instead, always. I also don't know why agrarian gets to INFLUENCE people to go over to your cities instead of that ability being here. Maybe make it, that they come only from cities you have influence over, but still that ability belongs here.

Agrarian:
Like I mentioned above, why does a farmer focused culture get to steal people? It makes no sense. Gaining pop is fine, that is what this culture is about. But stealing it from neighbours? How does that work for agrarian? "Look how much better our farms are than yours! Dump those science facilities and come work on our farms!" Also, never seen any grievance generated with that.
Passive seems too fleeting. 5 stability last one turn. All passive abilities are temporary, consistency here I really like, and wouldn't change. If it gave like +5 stability for 10 turns instead of one turn, that could make it useful, although I don't know how is that useful for food base strategies...

Builder:
This active ability is insane (the same with the science one). It just skyrockets you anywhere you want to be. Maybe don't include money here? Give half the values? Going back and forth from science culture to builder culture and vice versa and using those abilities seem like the only way to keep the tech era close to an actual era. And with so many problems around era pacing this seems broken, especially when by taking those cultures you prohibit others from using that to even keep up.
Passive seems better than agrarian if only for the fact that builders actively want to build stability draining districts. Still, one turn is too fleeting. Give it 10 turns or even just 5 and it will be fine.

Expansionist:
Could never use the active ability. Could see entire map, and every territory had one problem or another that prohibited me from using it. The problem is, the reasons were not clear at all. It stated on multiple occasions "can't be done because of relations". Great, what relations? Couse I had the same thing for my ally territory, same for territory of someone I was at peace with, and the same with someone I was at war with. So what relations? And at another time there were other reasons, also that gave me no clue what the real issue is.
Passive seems useless most of the time, because it generates grievances anyway, and with other cultures you can freely trespass most of the time anyway (you just click past their territory). Again if you have the army, its not a problem, couse your neightbours fear greviances and your retaliation so they don't trespass, if you don't have army, they don't care and if you try to demand they will go to war, and "trespass" anyway.

Merchant:
Active useless most of the time. Even on marginal cases that I want to use someone's resource they have no technology to extract it on their own, why would I build lets say an oil extractor for my neighbour to try to buy it, when he will go to war in few turns, maybe even with me? This could be very interesting as a bargaining chip in a deal with a neighbour, but the game don't have those, and as relations don't cost anything, they are highly unstable. With that, right now this ability is useless.
Passive seems like the strongest passive in the game that can give you affordable access to every luxury on the map, and those bonuses when stacked are really powerful. But also trade routes are unreliable so it balances out. I like it.

Militarist:
This active is utterly broken. It gives you a faster population growth rate that an agrarian culture can't even dream off. You make levies of all of your population in one turn. Because the city have no population in it, it probably produces one population each turn. You just empty it over, and over again. After few turns, you disband those levies back to the city and done, you have max city population. You didn't even have to stop your research or production for that (most of them come from districts anyway). And you can do that in every city at no cost or cooldown. This one needs to change.
Passive seems very good and fitting, I like it.

Scientist:
About the active I have the same opinion as about builder.
Passive I really like the idea off (for future, right now eras go too fast), but it does nothing in the last era. Right now it doesn't matter couse the active is so good. But if you tweak the active (and I think it needs a bit of an adjustement) it may become not enough (for the last era only).

About individual cultures - I like them a lot. They are very varied and interesting most of the time. The special districts seem powerfull, overly so. I have concerns about affinities and their distribution in every era. Every era has only one agrarian culture, besides contemporary era - where there are two. Why more agrarian in contemporary era of all the places? Ancient and classical could use those way more. There is only one builder culture in every era other than industrial. 2 merchant cultures every era before industrial and industrial has 0. Two militarist cultures almost every era but NONE for contemporary. Those distributions are strange and somehow feel very restrictive. On the other hand they are still not enough to incentivise you to transition to new culture, when some special districts are so powerful that you hinder yourself more by not building them everywhere and trying to transition. Transcending doesn't feel like a great option either. You trade a perk that lasts for the rest of the game, and provably a great new district for an ambiguous and only potential fame, that you can get anyway just by staying in current era. Actually, transcending feels horrible like a desperation move than reasonable choice. Just waiting feels like the most obvious and best option. An in almost all cases it probably is.

Also industrial era seems to have a unit technology identity crisis. You have French outdated melee cavalry, German u-subs, and Zulu bushwakers, all at the same time and similar strength. Historically time-wise, sure fine, it actually existed. But comparable strength? Hell no, it makes this era units look like a joke, and doesn't fit the game.

Also that's probably a tech to era pacing problem, but many special units are way too far in technology tree. Some to a point, that you won't see them in the right era even with era pacing fixed. Example: Praetorians, even with fixed era pacing you will almost never use them as Rome. They are literaly the last technology of that era. With that you will still use them, they are good units, but never as Rome, always as a next culture. That feels bad. If they need to be so far in tech tree, maybe cultures can recieve a science discount towards technologies enabeling their units/districts? That would at least give an incentive to research them earlier than usualy and prioritize them?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 2:07:24 PM

All in all they are fine.  I must have overlooked the passive effects of affinities, as I only noticed some of them by the end of my game.  I never found myself using any of the active abilities of affinities.  That is probably not optimal, they just never felt useful.  The Militarist active especially felt painful, as population is hard to come by.  The AI spammed the Agrarian active ability (which I didn't know at the time) to steal my pops, and that was properly annoying.  

My cultures/affinities were:  Phoenician (Merchant) -> Roman (Expansionist) -> Aztec (Militarist) -> Joseon (Scientist) -> British (Merchant).  As before, I loved being able to refocus my empire as the eras progressed and our interests changed.  The cultures themselves seem really good overall, and none felt specifically problematic to me.  The British special building seemed like it could be OP, since you can build 1/territory of a vassal, but since they also help the vassal (if I understood it well) that balances out.  The Phoenician special building seemed to disappear as a building option after a time, and I never figured out if that was intentional or not.  I think I missed something on how long special buildings are available for.

Affinities feel weak.  But to be honest, I didn't pay close enough attention to them this go around.  Merchant "active" never got used, in part because I didn't understand it well and because it felt like it benefits others more than me.  I missed out on using the expansionist "active", but it sounds good.  Militarist active did not feel worth it due to lack of pops, but I'd imagine they serve a useful defense.  Scientist passive might be a little too good, BUT I couldn't benefit from it since tech\science was so hard this opendev.

Since merchant and militarist actives seemed weak, I largely ignored affinities and chose based on culture bonuses.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 2:33:46 PM

Builder

• Active: Can convert Money and Science to Industry
    A fun ability in the mid-game. If you laid the groundwork in your cities (in terms of decent money/science production) you can get the snowball rolling with this, especially if you use it to build more research quarters or have a strong emblematic quarter like the Khmer. In the ancient era, however, this feels not worth it since your cities barely produce any money or science. Perhaps the ability could provide a minimum industry value like +30 or +50? I don't think this would be overpowered. Not getting any science is enough of a trade-off to justify a larger industry gain.
  • Passive: Gain +10 Stability instantly when finishing a new District
    Not sure if this is working? Or perhaps the stability tooltip just doesn't show it. As the Egyptians in the ancient era, I never got +10 stability apparently.

Expansionist

• Active: Can spend money to let an army steal ownership of a territory over a few turns, generating a grievance
  • Passive: Can freely trespass
    I think both abilities are fun and way better than in previous versions. The active can save you a lot of influence early on when influence is still scarce. If you're quick, you can even annex independent people's outposts before they're converted into cities (not sure if this is an intended feature). However, if you don't have any neighbours (for example in the early game) the active ability is not useful at all. Suggestion: The active ability could also allow you to annex neutral territories. Basically, let an Expansionist culture choose whether they want to expand by spending influence or by spending money.

Merchant

• Active: Can spend influence to instantly construct resource extractors in territory owned by other empires
    This ability is veeery situational. In the early game I want to spend my influence on other things. When I finally have influence to spend, all extractors have already been built. Perhaps consider removing the influence cost in exchange for a cooldown or replacing the ability altogether.
  • Passive: discount on buying resources, more income from outgoing trade routes, and can resell resources they bought
    The discount is nice to have, but buying resources is not that expensive in the first place (after the first couple of eras, that is). I'm not sure if the reselling resources is working. When I try to buy such a resource from a Merchant AI, it shows up in the list with a special symbol next to it, but the buy button is grayed out.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 2:37:39 PM

With only a few games, and this as my first beta I played, don't have much to add besides the fact I was unware that passives even existed for much of the game, and never figured out what the passives were in game besides the Scientist, Aesthete, and Expansionist Affinities. Some Cultures also seemed way more powerful than others, even compared to later cultures (Imo the Franks stick out for this if I understand them correctly.) 

I did lose a war at one point due to the ai upgrading their culture to militarist and instantly raising a homeguard as the huns, which felt awful at the time but is probably fair.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 4:29:11 PM
In my run, I picked:

- Babylon (Ancient - Scientific): Seemed fine. Really powerful ED as it synergizes with food production which is important in the early game, but didn't feel broken.

- Maya (Classical - Builder): This one seems excessively powerful, specially thanks to the legacy trait. Combined this with the ED and I never had any issues with industry for the rest of the game thanks to it. On the other hand, I found the EU to be rather weak: Poison is largely inconsequential because it does barely anything to melee units (which is what the AI builds for the most part). It also looked like they only have a range of 2 tiles (compared with 3 for archers), which makes them very vulnerable to enemy units, unless you have a wall of melee units to protect them.

- Khmer (Medieval - Builder): Picking this culture felt like adding insult to injury. Not only it synergizes extremely well with the legacy trait from the Maya, but also its ED is absolutely bonkers: A single district that can easily give you 30+ food and 60+ production on its own AND exploit both food and production from rivers basically means you don't have to pay attention to either of these resources for the rest of the game, it really feels absolutely insane compared to other EDs, even those from future eras. I really want to highlight the fact that this disctrict alone can do the work of about 4 farmers quarters and 8 makers quarters, while being available rather early in the game.

- Joseon (Early Modern - Scientific): This culture really stands out from others in this era. Like, just at a glimpse, you just KNOW you have to pick this one. 4 science per water tile for the rest of the game is just too powerful to pass up, especially after you realize this basically means every harbor (past and future) in your empire goes from producing only about 8-10 food to producing 30-40 science. This makes other "naval" cultures look like pushovers. The Seowon is very powerful too, but not excessively so.

- Italians (Industrial - Aesthete): Very nice culture if you want to forget about your stability issues. It is very powerful because it allows you to complete your district clusters easily, but, for some reason, as opposed to the previous cultures I've mentioned, this feels more like a fun and interesting strategy pick, rather than an absolutely overpowered culture (perhaps because the effect of its buff is more "indirect").

As for the affinities:

- Scientific: Never used the active ability, losing all production in a city for five turns seemed rather crippling. I didn't benefit from the passive ability either because I was always behind of my current era in terms of technology, but I can see it working very well if the overall pace of research is fixed.
- Builder: Similar to the scientific active. Although I can see it working as a panic button, I don't think it's very useful in general. The passive is fine if you keep in mind that it is a temporary bonus, but can lead to serious stability problems if you are not careful.
- Aesthete: To be completely honest, I don't completely understand how the active works, I guess it's useful to get a lump sum of influence every once in a while and if you're struggling with influence within your borders, but overall seems rather bland. The passive actually hurt me in my run because my war support took a big hit when I declared war at a neighbour, which I gues is an interesting type of "unbalance", but makes me want to stray away from picking an aesthete culture, unless the culture uniques are good. I think being able to "fabricate" greviances using influence (in general, not just for aesthete) would be a nice counter to this issue.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 6:13:05 PM

There are many cases in which a multi territorial city can reach crazy yield by stacking emblematic quarters. Mughals quarter for example give +3 industry per worker (in comparison a factory infrastructure in the next era only give +2). A city with 10 territories can build 10 of those and thus add +30 industry to each worker which can lead to hundreds or thousands of industry. Maybe emblematic quarter effects need to be limited in how many times they can apply to a single city to avoid these crazy yields.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 7:20:10 PM
Goodluck wrote:

There are many cases in which a multi territorial city can reach crazy yield by stacking emblematic quarters. Mughals quarter for example give +3 industry per worker (in comparison a factory infrastructure in the next era only give +2). A city with 10 territories can build 10 of those and thus add +30 industry to each worker which can lead to hundreds or thousands of industry. Maybe emblematic quarter effects need to be limited in how many times they can apply to a single city to avoid these crazy yields.

I think the only solution to balance these is to make sure that all the things that give yields per pop/worker/district/territory can only be build/applied once per city. => Such boni should only come from infrastructure.

Regarding the affinity abilities: The agrarian one is far the most powerful. Why? Because its a button that you want to click as often as possible (well, not in era 1/2 when influence is scarce, but after that). The other builder/scientists are much more situational and have a much higher opportunity cost (converting science to production and vice versa). They can be incredibly powerful though (especially the production to science one). The merchant one is also nice to have, but again more situational, same goes for expansionist and militarist. The militarist one can be exploited to hell though...

And you definitely need to make them more prominent, I think >50% of the players don't know about them.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 8:05:49 PM

Militarist ability need a cost and cooldown like the other affinity abilities. Right now it become very overpowered once you get access to conscripts and even before that with hordes who can use it to drop pops in their outpost for hordes.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 8:50:36 PM

From my experience in this closed beta, Huns and Mongols are still too strong! But this time I think the solution to balancing them is much simpler, which is to just lower their combat strength by around three points. 

To go into more detail, my experience with the Huns and Mongols in this beta was unique compared to last time, because I was defending against the Huns and Mongols rather than attacking with them. I was playing as the Mayans, and was struggling with science since science was pretty slow in this open beta. All the units I had available just did not have enough combat strength to deal with the Huns. Even with terrain bonuses, the Huns still surpassed my units combat strength by one to two points. My best strategy to defending against the Huns was to use mass ranged units (in my case the Mayan javelin thrower,) and stick to defending fortifications. Spearmen's anti cav bonus is not big enough to warrant using over swordsmen, and even then, using melee infantry against Huns and Mongols is not a good idea. The Huns were still too strong and the problem got worse when the AI transitioned to Mongols. This is another reason why Huns and Mongols are so strong, their unique unit is available almost immediately with no tech requirements. I was setback so hard from defending. I had to build a lot of fort tiles, and lost a lot of population constantly replacing my armies. Eventually I did succeed. It was definitely fun, an epic defense! But at a very severe and unbalanced cost for me.

This is the result from just one of my defensive battles vs the Mongols. Even with lots of forts and favorable terrain, it was a pyrrhic victory for me.

Aside from Huns and Mongols. I feel that agrarian cultures like Harappans and Celts are a bit too strong, especially in early game. In my experience, I find that population growth is the key factor in getting fame points, to the point where it is almost overcentralizing. Population is the backbone of the economy, Science stars, money stars, builder stars, are all much easier to get with high population. Agrarians get a strong lead fame wise early game because they get more fame points for gaining populations, which is something I feel every player will be prioritizing in the early game, regardless of their affinity. The amount of pop you can get from their ability is huge. And in my experience the Harrapan Celt combo is so strong that throughout the entire game I pretty much didn't have to worry about making more food tiles, my pop grew so fast to the point where it was difficult making more worker slots to keep them employed. I was pretty much set population wise for the whole game.

Lastly I found scientist were underpowered in this Beta, but only because the pacing of science was too slow in this beta. Since science was so slow, it is hard to achieve science stars and get the main bonus fame points from science stars that science affinities get. As a result when playing science based games, I ended the game behind the winner by 2000 points. (But that also could be because it was a largely peaceful game and I was not getting any military stars.)

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 11:32:42 PM
Shataraterevar wrote:

Agrarian:
Like I mentioned above, why does a farmer focused culture get to steal people? It makes no sense.

Expansionist:
Could never use the active ability. Could see entire map, and every territory had one problem or another that prohibited me from using it. The problem is, the reasons were not clear at all...Passive seems useless most of the time, because it generates grievances anyway, and with other cultures you can freely trespass most of the time anyway (you just click past their territory).

The Agrarian passive ability does make sense. There have been several time in history that people from one area have moved to another because of better food availability.

The ability to trespass freely just by clicking on the other side of their territory should be eliminated, except in a case where you have a unit that gets trapped inside a border where movement had been allowed but now isn't. Otherwise clicking on the other side of a closed territory should route your army around it, not through it.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 11:45:53 PM

I only played one game on Normal so no strong opinions on general balance, but here are a few impressions about the cultures I played:

- Harappans: Was learning the game so didn't pay much attention to their balance, but I did have an issue with them: their music (I'm assuming it's their specific theme) grates on the nerves VERY FAST. I'm sorry, I'm sure someone worked very hard to make it historically accurate but that irregular, strident flute is too present, distracting and irritating for a slow-paced game where you're going to hear it on loop while thinking. A friend who came to watch me play also immediately remarked on the music being irritating. I turned it off 10 mins in, which I usually never do with games.
Other than that, the food specialization allowed me to start with a big population headstart that allowed me to start steamrolling the AI.

- Achaemenid Persians:  very useful/strong trait early on, pretty good building and excellent unit, the Immortals are monstruous tanks that I was still using at the very end of my game. My first impression is that they are quite a strong culture with a nice set of abilities, they were very pleasant to play. The Expansionist active trait though I could never get to work, my annexations kept getting interrupted and I wasn't quite sure why.

- Khmer: They seem ridiculously strong. Excellent, straightforward trait bonus, boost in production is never not helpful; but mostly their unique building seems completely absurd. Gigantic boost in both food and production, usually at least +20 on both on a single tile; don't want to judge on a single game, but it might be a bit too powerful. The active ability was also excellent to quickly bruteforce a Wonder/Holy Site. Overall, the Khmer were so good I kept them into the next era; no Early Modern culture seemed as good as them. Since science progression is quite slow currently compared to era stars progression, I was unable to unlock their elephant unit until quite late in the game, but when I did, it also seemed quite good.

- Italians: Fun, very specialized set of abilities. I was able to cheese the endgame by just swamping my territories with dozens of Commons Quarter to bruteforce the Builder and Aesthete stars, since I could just build them every turn with no stability drawback. Active trait didn't seem as good as the Builders one, but maybe I haven't understood the finer points of territory influence yet.

An extra point I just noticed reading the thread: I never noticed Passive Abilities on culture types at all (except the Expansionist passive, because it showed up in the Diplomatic screen). If they were explained anywhere, I did not see them.
Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 11:55:39 PM
MarLard wrote:

- Harappans: Was learning the game so didn't pay much attention to their balance, but I did have an issue with them: their music (I'm assuming it's their specific theme) grates on the nerves VERY FAST. I'm sorry, I'm sure someone worked very hard to make it historically accurate but that irregular, strident flute is too present, distracting and irritating for a slow-paced game where you're going to hear it on loop while thinking. A friend who came to watch me play also immediately remarked on the music being irritating. I turned it off 10 mins in, which I usually never do with games.

I actually liked that one! It seems better than it was in Victor. Or maybe that's in my head? Anyway, I was enjoying it.

The Zhou music, on the other hand, needs a serious pass through a normalizer. The volume swing on that harp-like instrument is insane.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment