Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Your favourite top ten computer games of all time?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 12:12:27 PM
I was wondering what everyone's top ten computer games of all time would be out of interest. Here's mine in descending order:

1 Elite Frontier

2 EF2000

3 Falcon 4

4 Lords of Midnight

5 Call of Duty

6 UFO Enemy Unknown

7 Civilization

8 Rome Total War

9 Gunship 2000

10 Wing Commander

Damn just had to edit my list because I forgot all about Lords of Midnight on the Spectrum - played that game for ages. Its so difficult picking only ten.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 1:43:20 PM
Clearly offtopic, in my opinion, so I moved the thread.

[LIST=1]
  • Baldur's Gate (1 +) 2 + TOB
  • Planescape Torment
  • Deus Ex
  • Master of Orion 2
  • Warcraft III + TFT
  • Starlancer
  • Endless Space (may still rise, not yet there)
  • Total War: Shogun 2
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Fallout 2

• [/LIST]
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 1:59:31 PM
    I'm quite a gamer, and I loved many games over the years. I'll try to list those, that truly left a lasting impression, those that I will always fondly remember:

1. Mass Effect (Best movie I ever acted in smiley: smile)

2. Operation Flashpoint (A story of a common soldier in a realistic war scenario, so many memorable moments)

3. The Witcher (A mature story in a fantasy RPG? Hell yes!)

4. Mafia (A mature story in a GTA-inspired game? Hell yes!)

5. Portal 2 (What can I say, one of my best video game memories happens to consist of me being repeatedly insulted by a rogue AI)

6. Civilization 4 - Fall from Heaven II (Mod) (Civ 4 in a fantasy setting, amazing lore, iconic battles between Good & Evil)

7. Master of Orion 2 (The reason I'm on this forum smiley: smile)

8. World of Goo (A gem of visual, audio and gameplay design)

9. Left 4 Dead 2 (the only game in which i spent countless hours in multiplayer)

10. Battle for Wesnoth (a perfect example of "easy to learn, hard to master"; and it's free btw!)
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 2:05:15 PM
    I haven't played too many PC games yet, as I've only been a PC gamer for about a year now, but so far I'd have to say (in no particular order):

1.) Rome: Total War

2.) Empires: Total War

3.) Total War: Shogun 2

---Nooooo, of course I'm not a huge TW fan ^^;;

4.) Mass Effect series (considering their save game continuity, I consider them as one game)

5.) Endless Space

6.) Skyrim

7.) Knights of the Old Republic

8.) Deus Ex: Human Revolution

9.) Tribes: Ascend (the game has turned me into a masochist...can't play it without getting pissed off, but I keep going back for more...)

10.) TBD
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 2:45:52 PM
    In no particular order (because being forced to choose would feel like picking a toe to have lopped off)…

- Colonization (1995)

- Left 4 Dead series (2008)

- Dungeon Master (1987) – and Legend of Grimrock (2012)

- To The Moon (2011)

- MOO2 (2003)

- ArmA (2007) - but only in MP as a helo transport pilot

- Portal series (2010)

- Red Orchestra Ostfront (2006)

- Oids (1987)

- UFO (1994)
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 3:01:00 PM
    1.Space Rangers Series

2.Civilization Series

3.GalCiv Series

4.Altitude

5.Worms

6.Space Empires Series

7.Sword of the Stars 1

8.Star Control Series

9.X Series

10.Earth 2150 Series
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 3:13:34 PM
    nats wrote:
    1 Elite Frontier

My first ever planetfall experience. Seminal moment.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 3:41:08 PM
    I tend to stick with similar genre's, but here is my list.

1) Master of Orion 2

2) Civilization 2

3) Homeworld

4) Alpha Centauri

5) Starcraft

6) Command and Conquer Red Alert

7) Command and Conquer

8) Sins of a Solar Empire

9) Galactic Civilizations 2

10) Diablo

It was tough to pick between some and ranking some sequels above the originals was also a bit tough.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 4:00:05 PM
    Deus Ex

X-COM: UFO Defense (plus spinoffs and imitations like UFO Aftermath)

Seven Kingdoms II: The Fryhtan Wars

Alpha Protocol

Rome: Total War

Planescape: Torment

Hearts of Iron II (plus derivatives like AoD and DH)

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

Katawa Shoujo

Dragon Age: Origins

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (for the custom games of course, melee was pretty mediocre)

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon

SubSpace
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 4:08:52 PM
    1.) Empire Earth 1

2.) Earth 2150 Escape from the Blue Planet + Moon Project + Lost souls

3.) Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

4.) Europa Universalis 3 Chronicles

5.) Call of Duty 2

6.) Half Life 2 + Episode 1 + Episode 2

7.) Star Wars Battlefront 2

8.) Civilization 5

9.) Anno Series 1602 + 1503 + 1404 + 1701 + 2070

10.) Team Fortress 2
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 5:32:27 PM
    Any game in a persons top 10 is a good game.

Therefor I wish not to sort them 1 to 10 because they simply are

equally good; I just love them. smiley: smile

Therefor here's my top 10 sorted by playtime (the more, the higher):

1) - Age Of Empires I & III (PC)

I Played this game a lot when I was younger and it really amused me; It became more then just the game,

I started creating my own levels and campaigns, started fantasizing about my own civilization and stuff..

Ah, these where beautiful days! I never bought the 2nd one but years later I gave AoE III a try.

The game is definitly a good one, but.. It never gave me the feelings the 1st one did (and the editor is damn hard to use).

Despite that I also have a huge amount of playtime in AoE III and had alot of fun with the game, just less then with the original

2) - Trackmania Sunrise & United (forever) (PC)

Slightly ahead of Mass Effect and Gran Turismo in playtime, this game really made an awesome impact on me.

I got Sunrise for Christmas gift (hell, it was only for 5 euro's, them greedy basterds)

and to be honest is was thinking
    "Bah what a Crap game, only 5 euro's..". But i was wrong!

The moment I installed this beauty and played it I knew it was right on. As time passed I realized

the game was already old, so I moved on to United Forever (which was 20 euro's at that time).

There I joined clans made new friends, aahh.. just fabulous.

With the overtake of Nadeo by Ubisoft the community has slightly died off because of acts

such as "Freezone" and other Ubi decisions.. A shame. smiley: cry

3) - Gran Turismo (series) (Ps 1 / Ps 2 / Ps 3)

The second game I owned for my ps1 (after lego racers). I have 3 save cartridges with only Gt 1 and 2 Save files,

Playing this game meant that I was at my dad's place, and it might have been the main reason I enjoyed going

there. Despite I have few to say; I love these games (I have all of them ^^).

4) - Mass Effect (series) (PC - Xbox 360 - Ps 3)

When I first got this game, I knew nothing about it (was already released 2 years).

And to put it simply: I was blown away because of it's epicness!

I don't know what to say, the game is just.. perfect

And yeah ME3's ending is not what most expected it would be; BUT realize that most

of you are not mad with the ending, but with the fact that there is a ending.

I too want the game to continue; but this is just the way it is my friends, deal with it.

5) - Metal Gear (series) (Ps 1 / Ps 2 / Ps 3)

I've played the series for the first time on the ps1, the "Metal Gear Solid" episode with the Shadow Moses Incident.

At first I didn't really liked it because I was simply too young to decently play the game. But man.. What an experiance

The story is just fabulous and gives a different (not completely realistic) view on war. Its also a game that illustrates

that a single man cannot perform takes such as taking out an entry army (As other games and movies do attempt).

The tactical element is a good variation in the giant amount of games available!

6) - Advance wars I & II (gameboy advance)

The strength of this game is it simplicity and high fun factor, and the fact that it is a gameboy game.

A gameboy game almost directly means
    "Only Played with friends". I traded this game with a friend

for and extra copy of AoE: Gold Edition that I had lying around. Now, every time I play this game

I always think back at these wonderful moments I had with my friends.

7) - Lego racers (PC - Ps 1)

I had this game both on ps 1 and on pc (at both my parents their places).

In these days I was still a little boy and I was utterly bad at gaming,

I took me months to beat the first "boss" (the pirate), and I believed you would be able to make

your own tracks if you had beaten the final boss (Rocket Racer). So I kept on drawing

tracks on paper for when I would finally beat him.. Which turned out to be false, and I was quite

disappointed when I found out.. ahh being young; it was fun!

8) - Call of Duty I & IV (PC - OsX - Ps 3 - Ps 2 - Xbox - GameCube - Xbox 360)

With my did in the military, I had grown up with stories about it. And with my being fond of WW2

(He bought CoD 1 actually for himself) I have played CoD1 quite a lot of times, but I never touched

the multi-player. Cod 4 Meant a big change for the series and was and is one of the better games around,

too bad the series has been turned into a money making machine over time, rather then staying a game...

9) - Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (PC)

Never played the 1st one and 3 didn't had the "feeling" that rollercoaster II has.

This game has consumed much of my time when I was about 12.

I don't really enjoy it anymore, but oh boy.. the fun I had back then.

Creativity... I like it!

10) - Need For Speed Underground 2 & Most Wanted (PC - Ps 2 - Xbox - Xbox 360 - Mac - Gamecube - Gameboy advanced)

Don't be fooled by it being last on this list; I still have played these game well over 100 hours.

They are the only 2 I have from the series, and I believe they are the 2 best.

nfs most wanted is the better of the 2 by my meaning, I just love(d) being chased by these stupid cops

that crashed into everything they could spot. ^^

You see Endless Space isn't in the top 10 yet,

but things can change. There has to be a reason though..

you don't get into my top 10 without some emotional attachment to the game smiley: wink
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 23, 2012, 9:03:35 PM
    A bit hard to pick only 10 but i ll give it a shot. lol

1. Civilization series including Colonization and Alpha Centauri (hard to pick only one)

2. UFO series. Terror from the Deep still gives me the creeps

3. Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis (my first adventure)

4. Icewind Dale 1 & 2

5. Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (all was amazing but 3 is my favorite)

6. Master of Orion, both of them (Moo3 never existed for me :twistsmiley: smile

7. Neverwinter Nights 1 (kinda liked it more than part 2)

8. Mass Effect series (although i havent started 3 yet)

9. Galactic Civs 2

10. Full Throttle (for the amazing soundtrack mostly :coolsmiley: smile
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 24, 2012, 4:17:20 PM
    I'm guessing since this is an Endless Space forum, that this is more of a "name 10 games you really like that aren't Endless Space" kind of exercise. There's so many good games out there, that it's really hard to limit myself to just 10. I'll try though....

Command & Conquer Red Alert -- I lived off that franchise for most of my childhood. Very cheesy series, but I loved it none the less. My best friend and I would spend hours trying out convoluted new strategies to take down enemy bases.

Battlezone & Battlezone 2 -- My friends and I still take the plunge some weekends and spend the 2 hours necessary to get all our patches working in harmony to run this great game. A FPS RTS game of awesome. One commander builds the base, while the others act as sub-commanders, leading units into battle and defending resource outposts.

Mass Effect -- The ending had so many plot holes it made me cry in pain, but the amazing 100 odd hours of gameplay before that still leave it as one of my favorites. That, and I really like the multi-player stuff they added. Short 20 minute matches that I can fit into any holes in my schedule.

Assassin's Creed -- Most fun I've had stabbing people since joining the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion. I've got the tattoo to prove it.

Anything by Valve -- Half Life series, Portal, Counter Strike, etc. Honestly, I can't pick a favorite when it comes to Valve. This entire list could have been Valve games if I didn't squish them into one heading. I'm studying Software Engineering for the specific reason of wanting to work for Valve. Valve rules my world. All Hail.

Fallout Series -- played them all, loved them all. They're great games, and they've really brought their imaginary world to life.

Oblivion/Skyrim -- I'm a sucker for RPGs. What can I say?

Minecraft -- digging a hole yeah diggy diggy hole.

Thief Franchise -- My brother hated this game, so naturally I had to love it.

Killing Floor -- Can't stop playing it for some reason. So many cloned zombie armies to kill.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 25, 2012, 10:10:57 AM
    Sir_Snowman wrote:
    Killing Floor -- Can't stop playing it for some reason. So many cloned zombie armies to kill.

Yeah, it’s kind of addictive. I’ve had it for years but only recently started to give it some serious air time. By all rights I should hate it: it’s glitchy as fsck, it’s uglier than a badger’s arse, the interface blows goats with reckless abandon, it has persistent ‘character’ progression, it’s fundamentally unbalanced (even for a co-op game), it has micro-transaction DLC (aesthetic only but it still makes my skull itch), and yet I still like it. It’s probably a good example of how decent core game play provides more longevity than any other aspect of a game.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jul 25, 2012, 10:52:24 AM
    defekt wrote:
    My first ever planetfall experience. Seminal moment.

It certainly was. Gradually descending towards a starport was a superb experience. I spent a while just landed at a frozen world's starport watching the neighbouring gas giant with its rings climb slowly over the horizon. The time you enter a system and start heading in and see the star system speeding towards you with time compression on. The first time you enter a rotating space-station. The first time you do a slingshot orbit of a star. The time you follow a bounty through a hyperspace tunnel.

No other game has come close for me.
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment