Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

So how is Prometheus (2012 film) ?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 30, 2012, 10:29:41 PM
Good evening fellas.

If you've ever worked a 12 hours shift with nary a break to catch your breath, you know how it feels to not even want to turn on your favourite video game. But a film? That would be perfect!

Seeing at how much it costs to go to the theatre these days, better think about it twice before getting in there and buy some popcorn. So I'm asking for your honest, sci-fi fan opinion here: how was Prometheus? I've seen it describes as a "sumptuous B movie", would you consider this accurate? Good movie, or bad waste of time?

Thanks in advance for your time folks! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 31, 2012, 2:24:38 AM
In my opinion...The game was very good to look at, the score was good as well, but the plot and other elements just fell through. It didn't have good writing in my opinion.

But I'm very critical with movies, and pick apart even small issues, so, I might not be the best opinion to take. I'm also criticizing Dark Knight Rises--beautiful to watch, but writing and plot elements...meh.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 31, 2012, 3:15:53 PM
I thought it was ok that's about it. I was really looking forward to seeing a good Alien type film and it wasn't anything like that. Not that is was particularly bad - I felt the first 2/3 of the film was really good but the last 1/3 was predictable rubbish. The frightening bits weren't frightening. There was very little suspense. And the ending was utter tripe.

There are only two really good Alien films and they are the first two.

I don't know how you can muck up such a superbly evocative theme like Alien but so far they have done every time since the second film. They really need someone like Peter Jackson to direct a new proper Alien prequel film or sequel assuming there is another one. But I hope they drop Promethius because it doesn't add anything to the Alien franchise at all.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 31, 2012, 8:25:43 PM
Interesting!

Thanks for sharing, gentlemen. (I'll just assume you are all men here.) I think I'll grab a ticket if only out of curiosity, after all! smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 14, 2012, 9:35:02 AM
I hate how some directors go down the route that emphasizes presentation and visual effects styles over story and substance. Hell even the 3D gimmick is failing financially on our end, but I'd guess the margins are decent back in the US for them to market it still as a strong point.

All that said, I believe in the current state of things a film should only have to fall back on the merit of having great visuals if it is a B movie to begin with. This film seemed A quality, budget and production wise, but failed to make that distinction. Regardless it was highly enjoyable for a one off theatre run with friends, something to watch as a good solid choice for a fun night out if nothing better is out on your end honestly. :/
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 14, 2012, 12:13:43 PM
flipstar wrote:
I hate how some directors go down the route that emphasizes presentation and visual effects styles over story and substance. Hell even the 3D gimmick is failing financially on our end, but I'd guess the margins are decent back in the US for them to market it still as a strong point.

All that said, I believe in the current state of things a film should only have to fall back on the merit of having great visuals if it is a B movie to begin with. This film seemed A quality, budget and production wise, but failed to make that distinction. Regardless it was highly enjoyable for a one off theatre run with friends, something to watch as a good solid choice for a fun night out if nothing better is out on your end honestly. :/

Actually, 3D isn't doing too hot over here either. It's apparently loved in Europe and Asia, though, last I've read, and that keeps it going more or less.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 14, 2012, 9:11:01 PM
I've seen one 3d film. They're far too expensive and not worth it IMO. It is just a gimmick. I get blown away enough just watching normal films on the big screen - dont have to watch them in 3d as well.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment