Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Any Ideas for any good space opera books to help flesh out the Endless Universe?!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2012, 6:11:27 AM
Yeah so I've read the dan simmons Hyperion trilogy hence my name. And pretty much anything Iain m Banks has written especially the culture series. The culture would make an brilliant custom race even if sticking strictly to their lore they would be a bit op'ed. Anyway I would be most grateful to hear if someone could recommend any Space Opera books preferably written well with some tenuous link to either the lore or the factions in Endless space. Thanks smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2012, 12:33:07 PM
Andrew Reynolds: revelation space series. Has some striking similarities to endless space. It has avians, a vanished ancient race, a sowers like race and something that is very similar to what dust is described to be. The mass effect game series basically ripped this whole trilogy off actually smiley: stickouttongue Its well worth reading, very well written. One of my favourite series, it ranks up there with hyperion in my opinion.

Theres some forum posts about good space opera, not with any link to endless space really though:

/#/games2gether/forum/1-off-topic/thread/208-favorite-sci-fi-space-opera-book-series

And one about scifi/fantasy:

/#/games2gether/forum/1-off-topic/thread/100-recommended-reading-book-list
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 17, 2012, 2:03:46 AM
nolan85 is in the process of writing a very good fanfic based in the ES universe which does an excellent job of giving "feeling" to the different factions.

Chapter 12 has all of the links to the different chapters/sections except for the last one here.

For the general feeling of what a galaxy-spanning group of independent "factions" would feel like, complete with "wormholes", I highly recommend the "Honorverse" books by David Weber, some with co-authors. Not as much in the way of "aliens" but the various different factions of humanity that are represented therein sometimes feel as disparate as if they were aliens smiley: wink
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 17, 2012, 11:44:52 AM
Shivetya wrote:
Lensman by EE Doc Smith.

Many recent SciFi authors aren't worthy to hold the door for this guy.

Brb, looking for it in Library smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 17, 2012, 6:29:59 PM
Personally, I would like to see a storyline more similar to that of, say, warhammer 40k, except less grimdark and a LITTLE bit less static.

FYI, Warhammer 40k is basically about this totalitarian galaxy spanning dystopia that is constantly at war with rebels, demons, and various bumpy-headed humanoids.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 20, 2012, 5:28:53 PM
Personally, I think Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series is one of the best sci-fi series I've read in a long time. It isn't quite the same as Endless Space, as it primarily focuses on human vs human conflict, but near the end of the series and going into his second series (Beyond the Frontier, I believe), things pick up and could be considered more ES-like.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 21, 2012, 6:58:22 AM
Question - what do people think of Iain M. Banks? I've heard really polarized views on his books.

So far, I'm enjoying the Coyote series. It's more planet-side, not a sweeping space opera at the moment, but it's got a very engaging style and has some great perspectives on a world both similar and alien to Earth.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 12:17:21 AM
Troodon wrote:
Personally, I would like to see a storyline more similar to that of, say, warhammer 40k, except less grimdark and a LITTLE bit less static.

FYI, Warhammer 40k is basically about this totalitarian galaxy spanning dystopia that is constantly at war with rebels, demons, and various bumpy-headed humanoids.

There are a few people working on total conversion mods.
0Send private message
Comment