Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Favorite Classic 4X

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 31, 2012, 11:36:48 PM
reynanuy wrote:
SW:R is hardly ever uninstalled on my PC. At least once a year I finish it a couple of times with both sides, often enough in the hardest difficulty and with largest galaxy. Nevertheless the AI is pretty stupid and I get bored eventually, much more quicker than I'd wish. Awesome game for a remake and no, SWEAW doesn't count smiley: wink

Yeah, i kept going back to it for a long time. I found you had to play the largest galaxy size or it got boring really quick -- just not enough planets to destroy with my death star otherwise. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 1, 2012, 7:22:14 AM
It seems that 10minSpaceStrategy will be, for me, a classic. I just can't help but playing a game or two per week. Simplicity is addictive.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 1, 2012, 8:03:11 AM
I feel Gratuitous Space Battles has potential to stay in my current play list for a while if new scenarios and races/ship types can be added... for my iPad.

So simple, and yet actually requires strategic planning.

It is actually ideally suited for that interface and pretty space battle cinematics.

But everyone has hit the core ships-of-the-line that make up the basic 4X fleet.

what about more obscure titles?

I suppose I'll look at that 10 minute thing but, is it me or does the very name combat the inveterate, space spreadsheet devouring grognards who love 4X?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 1, 2012, 12:56:45 PM
is it me or does the very name combat the inveterate, space spreadsheet devouring grognards who love 4X?

The game is free. Just try it. At first it seems very simple, and in fact it is, but there's a lot of replaybility due to all the options for creating a race, the random bonus techs, how scarce are the planets, and so on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 1, 2012, 5:53:44 PM
"a price point that even you can handle!"

I mean c'mon! 10 minutes?! how interesting could it poss...

... ok ok it's kinda sorta fun. this should be on the iOS.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 1, 2012, 8:23:03 PM
Harsh wrote:
It has had a lot of negativity towards it, but i've always enjoyed ST:Birth of the Federation. Despite it's flaws (and there were many), i've been going back to it since i first bought it on release day.

Same here, Harsh. Star Trek TNG: Birth of the Federation has remained my favorite 4x game, despite its myriad flaws. Only Armada 2526 Supernova gives me close to as much enjoyment.

Rounding out my top 5 would be (in approximate order):

Distant Worlds (with both the Return of the Shakturi and Legends expansions)

Imperium Galactica 2: Alliances

Galactic Civilizations 2 (with both the Dark Avatar and Return of the Arnor expansions).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 2, 2012, 3:08:00 AM
Master of Orion 1, Master of Orion 2, Spaceward Ho!, Stars!, and Space Empires IV were my favorites for space-oriented 4X.

Civ (all of them have a certain charm), and Master of Magic were my favorite non-space 4X games.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 2, 2012, 12:07:07 PM
Harwich wrote:
Master of Orion 1, Master of Orion 2, Spaceward Ho!, Stars!, and Space Empires IV were my favorites for space-oriented 4X.

Civ (all of them have a certain charm), and Master of Magic were my favorite non-space 4X games.

I had forgotten about MOM, truly a great game for it's time. Now there is Elemental(which kind of sucked) and the upcoming Warlock: Master of the Arcane, which looks awesome by the way. Thankfully there is no shortage of 4X projects nowadays, almost all of them indie; which IMO give them greater chances of success.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 2, 2012, 12:21:47 PM
MALKARI! Remember that. Great game where randomly generated asteroids revolved around a sun. I enjoyed that one. Also Ascendancy, except for the inept AI! ...And more recently, Distant Worlds. Would like to see Distant Worlds 3D'd!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 2, 2012, 12:22:30 PM
reynanuy wrote:
I had forgotten about MOM, truly a great game for it's time. Now there is Elemental(which kind of sucked) and the upcoming Warlock: Master of the Arcane, which looks awesome by the way. Thankfully there is no shortage of 4X projects nowadays, almost all of them indie; which IMO give them greater chances of success.

Actually warlock seem to me like a civ rip off. However Masters of the broken world look really really good :-). Armada 2526 supernova is great as TBS. SINS is great as RTS. Lately there was not many good TB 4x games. Lets hope for Endless Space. Looks spot on.

Ohh and Dominions 3 is awesome. But AI is crap :-(.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 2, 2012, 6:25:29 PM
reynanuy wrote:

Fallen Enchantress will surely be what Elemental War of Magic should have been. If you've purchased Elemental War of Magic you'll have Fallen Encahntress for free (or with a big discount).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 2, 2012, 7:46:50 PM
Omnax wrote:
Actually warlock seem to me like a civ rip off. However Masters of the broken world look really really good :-). Armada 2526 supernova is great as TBS. SINS is great as RTS. Lately there was not many good TB 4x games. Lets hope for Endless Space. Looks spot on.

Ohh and Dominions 3 is awesome. But AI is crap :-(.

It's difficult to say for sure, but IMO they all kind of rip of Civilization; I've played civ mods which are probably better than these games. In any case I will be sure to keep an eye out for Masters of the Broken World, I did not have that one on my radar to tell you the truth and was pleasantly surprised from what little I just learned about the title. Not many TB yes, but nevertheless there are a lot 4x games coming up; space based alone we have: Stardrive, Legend of the Pegasus and ES coming up this year.

VieuxChat wrote:
Fallen Enchantress will surely be what Elemental War of Magic should have been. If you've purchased Elemental War of Magic you'll have Fallen Encahntress for free (or with a big discount).

I hope it will be, a lot of people were disappointed with that game and rightfully so. Let's hope Stardock makes right to them and delivers this time. Hopefully the cash they got from Gamestop for Impulse will help them achieve this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 3, 2012, 12:28:06 PM
My top 10:

1. MOO 2 (I love the designing from the race, the perfect Tech-Tree and the designing from the Ships)

2. Sword of the Stars (Many different ships and weapon, good tech-tree)

3. Pax Imperia (Good economy and easy to play)

4. Mankind (Old(1999) strategie MMO, First really persistent Universe ever, Mankind is much more than a real-time 3D strategy space game) Hope for a new one.

5. Homeworld 2 (I love the story)

6. Haegemonia: Legions of Iron (Good Story)

7. Master of Magic (Many races and Spells.)

8. Sins of the Solar Empire (nice battleship system and I love experience-system in uints)

9. Ascendancy

10. Supreme Commander I (good compley economy, but hard to learn. But not for me smiley: stickouttongue ).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 3, 2012, 12:35:23 PM
Moo2, Imperium Galactica, Pax Imperium.

Recently installed Reach for the Stars to recall semi turn based battles.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 3, 2012, 8:57:37 PM
OK, I bring my little list, but always the same title :

Ascendancy (this game make me discover 4X game)

Galactitic civ 2

Civ 3 4 5

Space empire 5

Home world 2

and also in my memory 2 no video game but board game : Cosmic encounter (1973, new edit 2009, almost no change), Dune (a reference of strategy game)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 4, 2012, 3:07:44 AM
imperium galactica II now out on iPad...

gonna give that a spin for ol time's sake
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 4, 2012, 5:57:50 AM
Bbentheclag wrote:
OK, I bring my little list, but always the same title :

Ascendancy (this game make me discover 4X game)

Galactitic civ 2

Civ 3 4 5

Space empire 5

Home world 2

and also in my memory 2 no video game but board game : Cosmic encounter (1973, new edit 2009, almost no change), Dune (a reference of strategy game)

Cosmic encounters isn't really about 4X. It's more a "diplomacy" game I think.

Dune is really good in what it is supposed to do : live the Dune series. FFG made a remake in the world of TI3.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 4, 2012, 6:16:26 AM
Let's see my list of fav 4x games are.

1. Moo2

2. Sword of the Stars

3. Civ 2

4. Moo 1

5. Civ 5

In this order as well smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?