Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

A Simple Thank You

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 4:18:44 AM
So, I came across this article tonight, and read through it. It's about harassment from "fans" towards game developers.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

It article hits on points that have concerned me, personally, as a gamer for a few years now. Gaming communities just seem to be getting more and more toxic. It's almost impossible for me to play a game of Smite or Dota 2 (both MOBAs), Call of Duty, Halo, Dawn of War 2: Retribution, Defiance, and many others without insults, threats, and so on being thrown around. I play games for fun, to kill some time, and relax. And those goals are killed when people start verbally/textually assaulting me if I'm have a bad gaming day (we've all been there, I'm sure), told to "stop playing, noob" and all the typical nonsense.

I've seen this behavior cause friends of mine to stop playing, and there are some games I'm getting ready to just give up on because of it as well.

But, mini-rant aside, I reach my point. I want to thank Amplitude Studios and everyone here on the forums for having creating both an incredible game, and an incredible community. If there is any toxicity here, I can't see it. I see friendly topics, I see new players able to ask questions and get the help they need, and when I do see threads about unhappiness or a dislike of something new, it's been presented in a civil manner. This is the only forum I've seen with things so friendly.

I can't go on the Mass Effect or Dragon Age forums any more for the reasons I already said. The Defiance forums are definitely getting there (more in terms of devloper bashing, and players feeling way too self entitled). I can hardly play Smite or DOTA 2 anymore, and I've given up playing on XBox Live. But I can still go to Endless Space and still have a good time, whatever mode I turn on.

So, once again, thank you all.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 6:46:14 AM
The community creates itself, so no, thank you! smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 6:48:02 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
The community creates itself, so no, thank you! smiley: smile

I rather fear thanking each and everyone and themselves is too much even for our community. That would take several thousand PMs. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 9:42:55 AM
Personally I don't care about being insulted while playing games, as trashtalk on Xbox live is all part of the fun for me. But each to their own I suppose.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 10:29:28 AM
Haters gonna hate - I usually ignore all these insults, etc.

I must agree, our community here is great! smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 11:20:33 AM
InFlamesWeTrust wrote:
Personally I don't care about being insulted while playing games, as trashtalk on Xbox live is all part of the fun for me. But each to their own I suppose.

If you didn't, your name would be misplaced, Flames. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 2:16:43 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
If you didn't, your name would be misplaced, Flames. smiley: stickouttongue

I see what you did there smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 10:45:33 PM
If someone really being rude on Xbox live game. I will file a complaint about them. I have a few hate message sent to me on Xbox live too. I think because the developers comment in community make it feel like a better place because it shows that want to listen to what people say. If it a generally a better place I believe the moderators have an easier time too which also helps the community.

DarkMeph
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 18, 2013, 8:40:50 AM
Also the thing with Xbox live is you can mute and block people. There are also family settings you can use to stop contact between you and random people.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment