Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Lost in [Endless] Space?

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Apr 15, 2018, 9:03:51 PM

Netflix recently started promoting its new series Lost in Space (generic name, right?) and it seems very very cool. But as I was watching the trailer, I realised it also looked very very familiar. I rewatched the trailer just to confirm this: it's a total Vaulters rip-off. The overall design is very similar, they start colonizing a cold planet in which their ship goes deep underground, there's a misterious kind bot that helps them out and the planet has some stunning visuals and anomalies, still pretty much resembling Earth. 

I mean, if I'm right and it has anything to do with the vaulters, this could be awesome. Also, it's a series, so it might be changed into that even if it currently isn't. My purpose on making this thread, BTW, is to see if I'm just tripping or if some of you guys see it too. I didn't watch any episodes yet, but i intend to. If any of you has and can confirm if it's something noticeable only in the trailer, I'd be glad to know.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 16, 2018, 1:13:20 PM

I mean, I can see what you're getting at, but the stranded Robinsons (rings any bells?) is a well-trodden story. If it was en entire civilization that'd been stranded this way, then sure, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 17, 2018, 1:33:05 AM
Frogsquadron wrote:

I mean, I can see what you're getting at, but the stranded Robinsons (rings any bells?) is a well-trodden story. If it was en entire civilization that'd been stranded this way, then sure, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

It didn't ring a bell, so I googled it and started looking for clues. It is, indeed, some sort of remake of the classic Lost in Space from the 60s, which reuses the name, the basic concept and even some catch phrases. Still, it's walked far enough from any previous "Robinson" material into Vaulters design so that it could be said that some creators were at least inspired by it. 

Again, I still haven't watched it, so I might be stretching too much from the little I've seen.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 17, 2018, 6:51:12 AM

Godddamn, now after watching the trailer I both wanna watch it and dont since the trailer probably already spoiled half the things!

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 17, 2018, 11:14:34 PM
Sinnaj63 wrote:

Godddamn, now after watching the trailer I both wanna watch it and dont since the trailer probably already spoiled half the things!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 18, 2018, 5:46:04 AM

Nope, nope, nope... I grew up watching the original TV series. This new one is a typical grim-dark modern reinterpretation of something that should have been left alone, as a campy period TV show. 

Every reinvention of those old shows has been worse than the original -- the "new" Twilight Zones, the "new" Outer Limits? just leave it alone and come up with something better.

I feel the same way about Star Trek and Star Wars, both of which should have been left alone. There is too much recyling of old intellectual property, and not enough new invention in modern media. But then I'm an old guy, and this is a classic old guy complaint.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 18, 2018, 2:28:08 PM
Zenicetus wrote:

Nope, nope, nope... I grew up watching the original TV series. This new one is a typical grim-dark modern reinterpretation of something that should have been left alone, as a campy period TV show. 

Every reinvention of those old shows has been worse than the original -- the "new" Twilight Zones, the "new" Outer Limits? just leave it alone and come up with something better.

I feel the same way about Star Trek and Star Wars, both of which should have been left alone. There is too much recyling of old intellectual property, and not enough new invention in modern media. But then I'm an old guy, and this is a classic old guy complaint.

I think I am in agreement for pretty much all of those points. Welcome to the Amplitude Old Guy club  :)

-Slow

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment