Classic D6 hit system
Custom dice
Cards
Vote nowView results
Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Oct 20, 2018, 3:08:15 PM

Hi there!

As suggested by Frogsquadron, here is the complementary poll to the Endless Space RPG where you can vote on the RPG rule principle. If you want to know more about the whole project, here is where it all started and is kept up to date.

Now back to game design, the original post is here but do feel free to unleash your game design comments either here or on the original post, I can't wait to read them! : )
Also, as a reminder, this is the extract from the main topic which you would be interested in here:

"
Each RPG game system is built upon a simple principle. And often, two very different games use the same principle. The Call of Cthulhu and Warhammer 40k for instance both use percentages and a D100.
I have spent a good part of the last two months designing game systems for the Endless RPG. Seven to be precise and during tests and prototyping, three principles really stood out, each with its strengths and drawbacks. While it is impossible to get into lengthy comparative details here, I really need to know how you guys feel about them. I am talking about gut feeling and a priori, even more so for two of them which, you will see, are tricky to test.

In all of these bases your character is defined by characteristics (strength, intelligence, charisma etc.) and skills (martial arts, making fun of Horatio, running, hiding…). These attributes and skills are scaled roughly from 0 to 5 for the human range (as in many systems, like the World of Darkness, Shadowrun, Wrath&Glory…). When you want to perform something, you combine a relevant attribute and skill, and add their score. Strength + athletics to climb up a tree, dexterity + laser weapons to shoot a Craver etc. We will call this sum the pool. According to the principle you will chose, this pool will generate a certain number of hits. To accomplish something you just need enough hits. Climbing a simple tree would require two hits for instance, when shooting a dummy kilometers away might require five or more.

Now here are the three different ways to play with this pool:

The first principle is a classic:
You throw a six sided die, or D6, for each point in your pool. Each 4 or plus counts as a hit.
This principle is the simplest and most accessible of the three. It also is a tested, tried and true veteran of the industry. The other two simply are not (so far!).

The second principle builds upon the first:
Same base here but through experience points, implants, Dust and more, you can customize your dice sides (with stickers, painting...). For instance you could replace the six side of a die to grant two hits instead of one and/or the two side, which would normally be useless, to regain Dust, reroll a die or give a bonus to another character on her next roll or... well, you get the idea.
While this principle is less materially accessible than the first, it gives more choices to the player. Both in terms of character development and tactical options.

And the last principle builds upon the second:
Here dice are replaced by cards. Each player has a deck she can customize (through experience points, powers, implants, artifacts…) and instead of rolling dice you draw a number of cards equal to your pool, and play a number of cards equal to your skill. On these cards there would be hits to play of course but also, like the custom dice principle, many other options. Only cards can carry more game functions than what a die side could, paving the way for even more and richer player choices. Gameplay wise the mechanics also feel very different, a support power could have a fellow player draw more cards, or pick one in her discard pile for instance. Creating card combinations to build combinations is also something much more doable than with dice.
I would also add that cards are great to carry illustrations and can be quite beautiful beautiful props, at the cost of being even less accessible than the second principle.
As a side note, this is very subjective, the cards feel great in hand without mistaking the whole for a board game. But this is highly subjective and a potential issue on my radar, so if you guys have an input there I’m interested!

So among these principles, which one would feel the most fun and organic to you? Feel free to develop if you fancy the exercise, I would absolutely love to read your input!
"

Fly safe everyone!

Aeyl

0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 24, 2018, 8:57:25 PM

Posted this new thread to the Endless Space subreddit. Here's hoping it gets more votes.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 24, 2018, 9:02:17 PM

Oh thanks Bugsydor! This will definitely help!
I will take a few minutes this week end to relay it on Steam forums too : )

0Send private message
6 years ago
Nov 2, 2018, 5:22:40 PM

My first choice would be something based on Fate Core or Fate Accelerated Edition, but barring that I would definitely prefer a simple and accessible mechanic like a Shadowrun- or World of Darkness-style dice pool.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 31, 2019, 2:05:39 PM

Rather than a vote I would try to figure out which gives you the math you need. 

I find that a pail of dice works very well for a wide range of odds. When I was designing I ripped this off from Advanced Hero Quest. I like D12s (d10s make the math easier). Lots of range, you get more presision. D6 can also work and the dice are cheaper. Though these days I suspect you could order your body weight in D12s for just a few bucks on line.

There are "draw backs" like when someone is 10 meters from a grenade and you are throwing 35 D12s.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment