Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Video Games and stigma?

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Sep 26, 2014, 6:34:13 AM
So do you still encounter stigma for liking video games and playing them? I enjoy video games and I have always thought that in 2014 they would be acceptable. But later I realize that they often arn't and I still get looked down on for video games. Does this happen to you? What is your experience with the stigma?
0Send private message
10 years ago
Sep 26, 2014, 7:29:00 AM
It's completely situational. I think video games, depending on the content, are a very pleasant way to pass the time and help with decision making, strategizing, hand-eye coordination in real life scenarios etc.. There could be lots of worse things you could be doing out there than playing video games, on the other hand there are other positive things you could be doing with your time.

It depends on how much time you invest into video games, if they affect your life in a negative way i.e. being late for work or calling in to get that 1st day release binge etc. and your social life. IMO as long as it doesn't get in the way of your everyday life and it makes you happy then go for it.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Sep 26, 2014, 10:17:51 AM
I find I expect a more negative reaction than there usually is. Facebook games and mobile apps have done a lot there. A lot of people, when being honest, have and do play some sort of silly game. They may actually be more embarassed than judging.

I had dinner with this cute lawyer at some point (who is in a serious relationship - drat :P) and when the discussion brought up our plans for the summer and I mentioned I was going to Gamescom, she admitted to only ever having played CandyCrush Saga and explained her puzzlement about their business model and the whole F2P thing. So we ended up talking about the industry and the business and marketing practices.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Sep 26, 2014, 11:26:58 AM
Very rarely. Not from older people like my parents (in the sixties) or in-laws (in their seventies). Not from younger people (do they even play outside anymore?). But from people in my own age group. It's funny actually, to me at least. The ones that seem to be the most offended/bothered by my gaming, are the ones that are jealous of what I have achieved during the many years that I've gamed. So now, they try to over compensate. They spend all their free time trying to get "back on track", while I never got off in the first place. either way, I don't particularly care what they think anyways.

smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment