Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

2015 = Nintendo Entertainment System turns 30

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Jan 10, 2015, 4:30:41 AM

This year will mark the anniversary of the 8bit Nintendo Entertainment System.

Many of us gamers have favorite NES games, characters and moments.

Please post and share your memories from the Godfather of consoles.

0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 12, 2015, 10:13:36 PM
When I was little, I wasn't nearly as good at English as I am today (and I'm still no expert) - and yet for some reason my favorite games were often RPG of sorts.

I played games like supermario of course (and I was the worst player in our family on that particular title.)

but other games appelad to me more. Like Shadowgate - a game that recently got a rerelease on PC. I didn't complete it until I bought it for game boy years later

but I still remember the stress of hearing the music change when the torch where going out.

Another good one was Swords and Sepents. never completed that either but I got a fair bit into the game. more so when I finally got good enough at the language to understand what I was doing.

I used to write up maps for each floor and mark out the secrets. and usually I had to redo it a few times when I made mistakes again and again.

There was a game about greek mythology or something. At least I think it was greek, could it have been called the battle of Olympus? a lot to do in that game, mysteries to solve and battles to be won.

another game we played as a group, I used to be one of the people wo tried to solve the riddles, finding solutions to how to proceed and remembering where things where.

in other words, if I controled the character we died. never really learned to be that good with the controllers.

Buck O'Hare was quite fun to play as a group. My siblings and I used to claim characters to "be" . being a girl and not the eldest one got me the privlege (?) of "being" blinky.

the strange one eyed robot who always died on the lava level... yeah - no magical cat for me here.

One game I remember was fun - even though I never made it past the beginning was something like Battletoads? I can't remember the title, but it was crazy hard.

Megaman too, but I didn't like loosing at that. perhaps the idea of running around like a bipedal toad is just that great. And I did beat the first boss at least...

We once borrowed a game where you were a Cave man or something, collecting fruits and freeing Dinosaurs. I have no idea of what the game was about or what it was called,

but there was that one fruit you didn't want to get - an eggplant that flew behind you and was generally bad. (Or so I think.)

we used to call the plant Mr. Mysterious (in swedish; Herr Mystisk) As a result of that I hve never consciously tried eating eggplant. who would have known?

There was football games where I aimed to win by shooting the competition unconscious, and who does that?,

and submarine games that where so boring to me I still don't know what the point of it was...

In the end, a machiene just like this was the beginning of my gaming lifestyle. And I am so very glad to have had the chance to experience it.

The last few times I played - just a few years ago - the controllers where so bad that I developed blisters on my thumbs.

strange how even that can be concidered part of the game.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 13, 2015, 11:47:31 AM
I got to thinking: why doesn't Nintendo celebrate issuing a special, limited edition version of Wii U shaped like a NES?

That'd be really neat. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 13, 2015, 1:01:16 PM
NES was too early for me - And I never grew to love it because of the terrible framerate issues and glitchy graphics. The SNES on the other hand - Now there's a ton of classics...not that I owned one either - The PS1 was my childhood bread and butter. Spyro, Crash Bandicoot - Final Fantasy 7 smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 13, 2015, 1:50:04 PM
Oh, man....the NES was MY childhood. Double Dragon, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Mario Bros, Duck Hunt...so many more and they all bring back waves of nostalgia.

The NES wasn't perfect and the SNES had much better games, but the NES was my gateway to all of this.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 18, 2015, 6:44:32 AM
Very cool post smiley: biggrin

Many, many memories. So I'll throw out one of my NES memories. Metroid!

Friend and me stayed up all night to finish the game. He ended up passed out and I was determined.

Started to get sleepy when all of a sudden...... I yelled..... IT'S MOTHER BRAIN!!! startled my friend out of a dead sleep. After a few attempts, Mother Brain was destroyed in an 8bit fiery explosion! XD Yeeeaaahhh!!!!

Realized about that time that the sun was shining trough the window. Yep, an all-nighter!

Mike Tyson Punch out was another all nighter.

Blades of Steal was the reason I became hook on watching professional Hockey! smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 24, 2015, 10:37:04 AM
Those NES controllers took a beating! I threw them against the TV screen more times than I remember. The cool thing about the NES controllers was that they were repairable. The Atari 2600 and the Playstation controllers could be repaired when damaged due to video game frustration. But anything past the PS1 controllers began to shatter beyond repair smiley: sad
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 27, 2015, 3:34:25 AM
Kind of makes me feel old. And I'm only 27. Ermuhgawdold.

But. Yeah. NES. Wow. If you think about it, it feels like NES should be older >.> Like 50 or 60 years. But tech advances so fast.

Lends us a neat introspective retrospective and a promising gaming future!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 15, 2015, 9:14:03 AM
If you never seen The Angry Video Game Nerd, here is your chance to see this insane guy review the top 10 hardest NES games!

0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 1, 2015, 12:38:15 AM
Of course I know the AVGN is a character. James Rolfe plays the nerd hillariously insane lol
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 4, 2015, 9:43:14 AM
I remember the afternoon playing with friends on this game :

But, I wasn't really a Nintendo Kid. More Sega (Mastersystem)
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 18, 2015, 2:39:15 PM
Ninja Turtles on NES was really difficult! The kind of game that makes one throw the controller lol
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 21, 2015, 2:30:32 PM
Heh, I bought that game a couple of months ago. i still have to take the time to play it.

Some years ago I bought a mid-90's beamer which still works and connected my NES to it while the audio is connected to a stereo tower. I'll have to do some minor repairs on the NES itself in order to make it less of a hassle to boot up a game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment