Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Welp... no Beta for me for a while. Damn RMAs :(

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 3:17:46 PM
It could be worse. A little bit before Alpha 2, pretty much everything except my graphics cards fried themselves, somehow. My wallet was very sad...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 3:33:01 PM
Ouch - I had that once with a friends machine. I was assembling a new machine but the PSU was dead on arrival and killed off the entire new machine on the first bootup- took us a month to get everything replaced on warranty. smiley: small

On the bright side - if the shop deems my card faulty, they're willing to let me upgrade to a newer model and I only have to pay the difference between the two. smiley: mrgreen
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 3:34:32 PM
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how it happened...But, alas, it did. It's all fixed now, though, so oh well.

But that is some good news. Nothing wrong with an upgrade at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 4:27:53 PM
Mansen wrote:
On the bright side - if the shop deems my card faulty, they're willing to let me upgrade to a newer model and I only have to pay the difference between the two. smiley: mrgreen

Aluminium iMac, isn't it? What model; are you still under warranty?

Funny: something similar happened to me two nights ago, and I thought it's pretty much a lost cause since for the price of a new card, I might as well just get a low-end PC. Miine's a 2008, though, so it might be too late...

But you've given me hope! I'll see if I can work out some kind of deal...

Edit: So much for hope...

Just called the shop where I bought it... they told me I'd be better off buying a new comp as it would be too expensive to replace the card (500$+, wtf??) and that they didn't even have access to such an old part, even if I wanted it. ~2.5k$ three and a half years ago, and I'm supposed to just throw it out because it's now just a very big paper-weight? Never buying a Mac again...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 6:26:34 PM
Naw sorry - I don't have any macs in the house anymore. The screenshot is from my Asus monitor hooked to my homebuilt PC. My little beast :3

But yeah - replacing parts in laptops and iMacs can be expensive when you're out of warranty (Praise the endless for 2 years warranty!). It's generally easier finding replacement parts for PCs since there are so many brands out there - you might want to try Ebay though, or mac enthusiast websites. You might be lucky and find a used replacement card smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 7:26:21 PM
Ah, gotcha. I'm surprised: your screen border looks identical to mine.

I still prefer OS X over Windows 7, as far as operating systems go (I've been using Windows through bootcamp for about 2 years now), but I can't rationalize Apple's business practices anymore.

Cheapest working replacement card I'm seeing on eBay is 300$ (+shipping & warranty, if I want it). Not counting installation costs (to get inside the iMac, you need to remove the screen with -suction cups-; maybe I could find a DIY guide online, but then I'd probably just end up messing something else up).

If I had a PC, a fix to my situation would be as simple as going down to the store, buying a new GPU and switching it myself. That's night & day, right there.

No more un-upgradeable all-in-one boxes for me, thank you very much. Lesson learned. The only "decent" Mac option, far as I'm concerned, would be a Mac Pro. But thought they're quite shiny, they're woefully over-priced (starting at 2.5k$…).

Let Apple stick to toys and gadgets, I'm done with them.

P.S. What's that game, btw? Crusader Kings II?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:08:01 AM
Yeah - sounds like a lot of work. If you're really set on getting a PC, you could try visiting one of the Hackingtosh forums and get parts that are compatible with OSX and dual boot - even if it isn't officially supported *wink*

Yeah - It's a game of Crusader Kings II. I'm being stubborn in trying to conquer the british isles starting as Iceland. Such torture xD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 12:34:40 PM
@topic: ouch.. good taste in games though..

If you like a Song of Ice and Fire you should try the mod.. its only version 0.1 but it is quite playable
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 1:03:25 PM
Yeah I'm following it with great interest. F&I is a perfect setting for the kind of theme Crusader Kings II is going for. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 2:04:35 AM
I've considered going for a hackintosh… I've got a friend who's rather fond of them. From hearing his stories, though, it sounds like more trouble than I'm willing to put up with for the time being, at least. Definitely a possibility for the future, though.

Whoo, CKII! Kind of proud of myself I guessed, as I haven't played it yet, nor the original… smiley: wink Had my eye on it, though, looks quite nice. Good luck with your conquest!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment