Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Favourite Space based 4x Game (apart from Endless Space)

Galactic Civilisations 2
Sword of the Stars
Distant Worlds
Armada 2526
Star Ruler
Space Empires 5
Other (specify)
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 12:10:17 AM
Self explanatory really, what is your favourite space 4x game? I've played quite a few of them and they all have things I like and things I dislike. I deliberately left Masters of Orion 2 and other old school classics off this list, we're looking at the modern ones only.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 1:10:54 PM
Of those choices listed, Armada 2526 wins my vote. I was really not impressed with it when it first came out, but subsequent updates (and especially the Supernova expansion) vastly improved the original game to the point that it's now my favorite modern 4x title.

Even better, you can often purchase the Gold Edition (which includes the expansion plus all patches/updates) for a very reasonable price -- it's generally in the $20-30 range.

That being said, I would also put in a good word for Distant Worlds. Despite it being in real-time (which I generally don't care for), the game's grand scale combined with superb management/automation options and a terrific sense of immersion makes it an easy lock for second place.

Its only real downside -- and it's a big one, unfortunately -- is the price. To get the base game plus both expansions (and a third x-pack is on the way) costs $80.00 minimum, which is obviously (and understandably) going to put off a lot of folks. It's still worth the price IMO, but I can't blame those who can't afford and/or don't want to risk paying that much for it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 3:56:04 PM
Lol yeah Distant worlds is one of the few on that list I haven't played, as I really don't want to shell out that kind of money (btw consider yourself lucky, here in the UK it is about £66 minimum (download versions only), which is over $100)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 14, 2012, 11:08:36 AM
Distand World would get my vote if not for the fact that the gameengine brings my system down every time I am halfway through a huge galaxy with max players and this pesky critter race (cant remember the name, high approval bonus, even higher reproduction rate) that makes up 80% of the universes population by the time you reach endgame.

I am not particularly fond of everything else on that list. (reason I was so glad ES came along) I dont know about Armada 2526. How good is it? What have I missed? =)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 14, 2012, 5:05:44 PM
Sharidann wrote:
Good old Master of Orion 2 (not mentioned in the poll)

Deliberately left it off, otherwise this would be a pointless vote lol.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 15, 2012, 8:33:36 PM
Master of Orion 2...followed by the original Sword of the Stars and then Distant Stars. GalCiv2:TOA is a great game but requires heavy modifications to be challenging. Sins requires lots of mods to be interesting. How about Star Control 2?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment