Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Versus mode ?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 11:31:18 AM
Hello,

First of all I would like to Thank you for the great work you've shown in this alpha!

Then, do you think there will be a versus mode for DotE ?

I think about a board game that makes me really think your game can be fully compatible with (small adjustements to be done, though) :

Claustrophobia

I know that there are some other games alike but I don't know them.

If needed, I can provide some explanations about the game...

Best regards, keep up the good work !
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 12:35:51 PM
A large part of game mecanisms in Dungeon of the Endless concerns resource managment and rooms. It's, to my mind, the core of the game. The fight, for now, is almost totally automatised. So I don't think Claustrophobia is so similar to Dungeon of the Endless.

That being said, I think a versus mod could be great. It could be a race to the elevator : the winner continue the game, the other loose the game. So it could be a random encounter with another player at each floor (but it seems hard to set up).

Another option is an entire game with the same mate, with special "two elevator" maps (cause two players can't be at the same beginning spot). An elevatar can only be used once.

An other good one could be a co-op/versus game, where players could play together during one time, making the game a lot more easier, but in the end, there is only one winner. So the players know at one time, one of them will betray the other. ^^ The winner could take the resources of the looser, so it would be more advantageous to work together, but also more temptating to backstab the other. ^^

And there is also a full co-op play possible, but it's not the subject. : )

Problem with multiplayer should be the flow of the game. It could become more a RTS than a rogue-like, cause you could be attacked anytime, even when you're not opening a door. And no tactical pause anymore either. It could be a little problematic.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 6:03:39 PM
If implemented properly and in a way which keeps it fun, yes I would support this action wholeheartedly.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 8:08:52 PM
Tiphereth wrote:
A large part of game mecanisms in Dungeon of the Endless concerns resource managment and rooms. It's, to my mind, the core of the game. The fight, for now, is almost totally automatised. So I don't think Claustrophobia is so similar to Dungeon of the Endless.

Funny, because it is exactly for this point I think the game may fit well :

- Every Opening Room, the "Demon" player gains some action points (AP) . With more or less AP the Demon can spawn Waves of monsters, or special trap, an event of unloading a cristal module, or even spawn a Named Demon ?

- When the player is waiting resolution of what's behind the door (monster, or object, or resource) the demon player may choose the disposition of the room following more or less gain of AP. Example :

1) Normal room without module - Demon gains 1 AP

2) Room with resource - Demon gains 3 AP

3) Room with module and 1 exit - 5 AP

4) Room with more exits - X AP...

and so on. Each opening of door would provide random set of rooms within the choices available, and at a defined number, it has to be the Exit.

To add some action, with a certain amount of AP, the Demon player can make spawn enemies through explored rooms with vents, or we can imagine a temporary breakdown of a door, etc, etc...

The scoring may be based on how long the Player have lasted, or with special scenario conditions. Or when the Demon player has no more minions to destroy the cristal...

What do you think of it ?

It is true the big part of Claustrophobia is based on fights, but only the events and placing of the rooms may serve the demon to have a chance of winning.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment