"Endless-Mode"

I want to have this!
I don't like the idea.
Don't know :/
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 6:06:23 PM
This feature has been mentioned by the VIPs in the GDD for DoTE; but yes, yes I would indeed like this.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 17, 2013, 8:12:04 PM
theFlyingCamel wrote:
Would an endless supply of rooms really improve your experience of the game? Would it add a new range of strategies? Would it force you to re-think your conception of how the game is played?

1. I don't think the amount of rooms does not need to be endless and its a diffrent kind of experience as you say later in your post.

2. Of course you will have to play diffrently. You need a strategy to survive as long as you can.

3. And I would even answer with yes to this question, because you would need to plan your defenses. You need to collect recources and defend yourself even quicker because there is not such a huge 'break' as when you enter a new floor.

I would like to see it, because its a different play style. I like tower defens games a lot and would realy like a mode in which you can have this part of the game even more intensivied.

MfG Xenira

EDIT: Of course I would love to see endless floors too smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 17, 2013, 11:59:53 AM
Ail wrote:
I definately agree that the game needs an endless mode. However, I think it doesn't have to be the way you described it. I'd rather have a series of levels that each become harder and harder. If one level is really big it might become very difficult to keep the orientation.

But don't get me wrong this still sounds interesting.

Having to handle like 40 monster-spawns at once with 4 heros. ^^

We'll definitely have to look into it, I really like the idea. but keep in mind that today there is no persistence and only 3 levels, so it definitely feels really short.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 16, 2013, 3:50:32 PM
Personaly, I would prefer an unlimited-level gamemode

or a one-level gamemode where you can choose the dificulty and the number of room which has the level.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 16, 2013, 3:22:12 PM
Would an endless supply of rooms really improve your experience of the game? Would it add a new range of strategies? Would it force you to re-think your conception of how the game is played?

At the risk of sounding old-fashioned and boring, I'd say 'no' to all three questions. I see each level as a puzzle, with finite resources that have to be carefully managed. Having unlimited levels would make sense, but unlimited space within a level would simply not. It would turn the game into a rather basic tower defense with heroes on the side, a bit like the war3 modes. DOTE to me would be better off as a hero/skill based puzzle, with towers on the side.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 11:04:34 PM
Ail wrote:
I definately agree that the game needs an endless mode. However, I think it doesn't have to be the way you described it. I'd rather have a series of levels that each become harder and harder. If one level is really big it might become very difficult to keep the orientation.

I agree entirely. Not only would this be a complete eyesore, but we would likely see horrifically bad turn inflation which we can already see during later stages of stage 3. Not to mention the game is easier the larger the stage is. You can throw as many enemies as you want at me, but with hero buffs and leveled up heroes they won't ever kill me. I've held out for over seven minutes after picking up the crystal on stage 3 because I had setup five healing crystals in a single room. And I still had two-hundred food leftover. So I probably could have gone another 7 at that. If I had funneled them all into a single room, which is what I normally do. Then I probably could have lasted upwards of 20 minutes+. And woe it is to be an alien if I manage to get lucky and find a room with eight module slots.

Strategy is something I plan to cover extensively when I do the commentary for my 'Let's play'. Which I hope will make it interesting for both prospective players and veterans alike.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 10:41:56 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:
What ship? You crash into an Endless complex which is almost like a Dungeon.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what is the problem. A big ship is still a ship. Probably I didn't understand the meaning of what you're saying. ^^'

I didn't know it was a Endless ship. I thought the game took place during the war described in Endless Space.

EDIT : Okay, I understood what you say (finally smiley: smile ). Strange, I thought it was a fantasy world, so a planet without Endless technology. Cause of that, I thought the dungeon was parts of the Success (huge ship).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 10:29:04 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:
Infinite rooms rather than infinite floors just seems too resource demanding and would inevitably cause many computers to cry if you get really far in.

Of course infinite is just a hypertetical number. For example an Int stores numbers up to 2147483647. If you give an ID to every room this would be the limit (But there are some other types, that are able to store a lot more).

But such a huge number of rooms is to much for (nearly) every PC. What you can do to still get this amount of rooms is to unload rooms, that are not in field of view. All monster activitys would just load the needed rooms.

But to be realistic:

I dont think you can manage to open as many doors smiley: biggrin

If you balance it properly the "Endles-Mode" is not as endless as its name suggests.

MfG Xenira
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 9:31:06 PM
Tiphereth wrote:
Hey, didn't see that. For me, endless mode would be infinite floors.

On just one floor, I have to say I'm less interested, but why not? Could be fun. But indeed, multiple rooms could be hard for the PC, especialy with a lot of monsters in every corner of the ship.

What ship? You crash into an Endless complex which is almost like a Dungeon. "Success" is little more than burning scrap falling to the planets surface. Infinite rooms rather than infinite floors just seems too resource demanding and would inevitably cause many computers to cry if you get really far in.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 9:22:23 PM
I thought the geame was used to have an Endless-Mode with multiple stages.

In fact i was suprised that the game ended after the 3rd stage smiley: biggrin

I thought of a Mode with more focus on the tower defens part smiley: wink

MfG Xenira
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 9:03:42 PM
Hey, didn't see that. For me, endless mode would be infinite floors.

On just one floor, I have to say I'm less interested, but why not? Could be fun. But indeed, multiple rooms could be hard for the PC, especialy with a lot of monsters in every corner of the ship.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 9:00:52 PM

But don't get me wrong this still sounds interesting.

Having to handle like 40 monster-spawns at once with 4 heros. ^^
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 8:50:12 PM
elpha01 wrote:
PC will have dificulties to manage it.

I think PCs are able to handle quiet a lot nowerdays smiley: wink I think this would be a porblem on consoles or weaker PCs.

But of course there would be some thing like dynamic loading / unloading necessary if it gets too large.

Also the difficulty increases as you progress and there will be a point, you wont be able to handle the wave and lose.

MfG Xenira
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 8:16:34 PM
Unlimited rooms?

PC will have dificulties to manage it, but surely the player too (in an other way).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 6:54:17 PM
I thought it was already planned. For an "endless" game, an "endless" mode seems totally essential right? : D

Seriously, it should be one of the main features to me. The game should also provide a global and a friends leaderboards. Just to see how good you are! (number 45968!)
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 6:00:12 PM
Hi,

I would like to see a "Endless-Mode" where you try to defend one stage as long as posible (Unlimited number of rooms).

Maybe this can be expanded further more by giving the posibility to chalange friends (They would get the same dungeon)

and compare your skills in defending the core.

What do you think about it?

MfG Xenira

EDIT: I think it could be cool to have multiple "Endless-Modes", not only this one. Endless floors is a version i didn't mentiont because I thought its an obvious option smiley: wink
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment