Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Feedback and thoughts

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Dec 17, 2013, 6:58:17 PM
So I've put a few hours into this game. I bought into the Founder Pack because Endless Space is the game that finally made 4X games 'click' for me, and I love it. I love the art style and music of Endless Space and I love Amplitude's philosophy, on top of my penchant for supporting the 'little guy.'

Dungeon of the Endless has blown my mind so far. I'm not a jaded roguelike veteran or anything - my experience with roguelikes is limited to a few floors in Nethack and Dungeons of Dredmor - however, the art style and basic premise behind DotE got me piqued, not to mention the fact that it broadens the Endless Space universe. I absolutely love it when a developer expands on a universe across different games and platforms, it is just the most amazing and cool thing to me, especially when names of mechanics (FIDS) also get some continuity. With that in mind I am very excited to play Endless Legend as well.

The art style of the game is just amazing. I LOVE the lush pixelated look - I just love pixels and pixel art in general, so I might be biased - but holy crap. It is wonderful and very well done. The game oozes style and has gameplay to back it up. The intro cinematic sequence, too, is one of my favorites due to it's simplicity and overall level of just... beauty. The voxel space ships with pixelated fire and explosions and the triangle-wave sound effects, coupled with beautiful and desperate music, is just fantastic, and the little details in the bottom corner of the screen, such as the ever-dropping number of crew, create a picture of circumstance that tells you exactly what is going on without shoving it in your face.

With all of that said, it is in alpha, and I understand that. The fact that it is this awesome now makes me even more excited to see it at release, and I have a little list of things to submit to you as feedback to improve the overall game. This is mostly little stuff that I have noticed or found myself wanting while playing and it is bound to change, and I am bound to think of more stuff. I know some of these things are talked about in other feedback posts as well. I'm not sure how exactly the G2G system works or where to find if you have already addressed these issues, so I apologize if I am being redundant.

• Select more than one hero at a time - I'm not sure if the 'you can only control one hero at a time' thing is a pinion that holds the gameplay together, but if it's not, I would love to be able to select more than one hero and issue them commands as a group. Leading to...
  • Click-drag selection of heroes - I would like to be able to make a click-drag box to select one or more heroes in an area and then issue them commands. Leading to...

• The ability to create control groups. I know that there are only 4 heroes at any one time but it would be handy if I could assign heroes 1 and 2 to group A and heroes 3 and 4 to group B, or 2 and 3 to group C, or whatever, and be able to quickly select each group with a hotkey.

• A few times, I would be placing modules, while my heroes would come under attack off-screen and I had no idea. I want some kind of 'hero X is under attack' indication, or some kind of audiovisual cue, if those heroes are off-screen.

• On the same note I'd like some kind of low-health warning, maybe at 50% or something. Make the hero's portrait flash bright red very quickly, maybe some kind of sound.

• I'd like the same kind of notification if an off-screen module is under attack.

• And, I'd like to be able to click off or dismiss notifications and markings. For the whole 'you found the exit, here's arrows pointing at your crystal and at the exit.' I usually fully explore every floor before I go to the exit and I'd like to click those off. I'd also like to be able to click it back on when I'm ready.
  • I'd like some kind of stat overview screen. This may be something that might be irritating for some but as someone who enjoys viewing statistics, I'd like to see at a glance the overall condition of my modules on the floor - it's kind of hard to see all of the health bars, so having a screen that shows numerical and visual values for the health of all modules would be awesome. Maybe make it so one could right click on a module with less-than-full-health and the currently selected hero will go to that room to repair that module. Include the amount of dust needed somewhere for the crystal to be able to power another room, or the point at which the crystal will lose a room or something.

• Also some kind of ability that will regenerate the crystal's power to the same amount that it started the floor with, at the cost of X F/I/D/S or some other resource, would be awesome too, even if it's as low as 14 Dust or something.

Again, this game is amazing so far, in all aspects, and I am stoked to see what it evolves into. Thank you for being awesome, Amplitude.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 17, 2013, 9:04:44 PM
The way the G2G system works:

Using ES as an example, Amplitude may ask the community to make a decision to add a new wonder X or a new wonder Y or new wonder Z etc. We can vote on which one using our G2G points which is our voting power - I have 2930 points right now, this is likely to change when I officially get DoTE, where it will be 3000+. Votes are added up points wise and a community winner comes from the choice with the higher vote total. What we are voting on in G2G varies.

One such G2G vote was on which bomber and fighter designs we liked best for ES for each race in a choice of A, B & C for each races fighter or bomber.

Hawk Out.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 19, 2013, 12:50:40 PM
Wait--how do we earn more points to vote, then? Do we have to establish our presence on these here forums to have more points?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 19, 2013, 1:12:13 PM
posting/doing-stuff-on-the-forum helps, so does purchasing Amplitude products and redeeming the CD keys on the main site. You may want to redeem those codes as I take you already have a few smiley: wink .

Endless space: 500 points

Endless space Premium ed*: +500 points

Disharmony: 200 points

DotE: 200 points

DotE founder: +200 points

*not availible anymore.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 19, 2013, 2:41:29 PM
But voting doesn't consume your points, it's just your weight in the votes.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 19, 2013, 3:06:13 PM
Don't want to spoil those G2G-points but I think constructive-criticism like this thread, in the end, will most likely have more impact than voting for stuff.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment