Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

DotE Music

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Dec 20, 2013, 2:20:23 AM
As a music composer and sound engineer of 8 years for Science Fiction and Horror games I'm particularly interested in the audio sides of things, what's the plans? I've seen you guys are working on another 4x4 strategy game, will DotE receive the same love?

I'm really loving the music of Endless Space, it captured an ambient space feel the game should have, and DotE is getting there nicely albeit limited (as it is alpha), my only concern is the horror behind being stranded, alone, with almost no hope to live is a little lost. I wont make suggestions as I know an artist is a creator from the soul, I was just wondering if there were plans to lean more towards horror in upcoming updates.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 20, 2013, 6:24:00 AM
I feel the musics are just right : the first time I heard the music (and that was with the very first alpha), the first picture I had was the one when you find the robot in Crono Trigger. You know how lone and sad it felt ? It was the same.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 24, 2013, 8:28:48 AM
I agree on the loneliness of the music, my concern was the horror side. I just don't feel threatened by the atmosphere.

Perhaps I am not being fair in being all talk, here is some of my music that made into horror genres (inc. sci-fi):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share?s=oueWWe_URkAjVzexfl8PNE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share?s=Alzlm1VTRFwjADqqi4R5JQ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share?s=Ksc82B-GQlwkkeTYG5qKJU
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 24, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
We didn't really discussed the audio side of things with devs, so I can't give hints. But I don't think (it's a personal opinion) they want something too close to horror.

Pressure, tension, I think yes. "Horror" sounds, for me, a bit far from what they look like to have in mind.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 24, 2013, 11:25:43 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
We didn't really discussed the audio side of things with devs, so I can't give hints. But I don't think (it's a personal opinion) they want something too close to horror.

Pressure, tension, I think yes. "Horror" sounds, for me, a bit far from what they look like to have in mind.

*Scratches beard* Horror... doesn't seem to fit for me either, horror is mostly about implying and making us think "what the floob-flab was that?!" or... be horrifying, so probably less monsters, insanity + whatever else and the game would have to be way darker to even begin to convey that sort of theme; loneliness, isolation, desperation, tension and of course pressure sounds... just about right to me.

Edit: Kind of... creaking pipes, somber music, electric sparks from a broken wire, echoes... that sort of stuff - sitting in a room eating ice-cream by yourself, you know. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 30, 2013, 5:22:11 AM
Well, personally when I first opened the game, I was very impressed with the music. If ideas in this thread can be taken into account, and if the music can be improved on in future, it will surely be one of the games best features.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 30, 2013, 6:21:40 AM
I love the music as well.

Frankly, the only thing I would dare tell the devs about music is whether I like it and I think it fits the game, nothing more. And I happily say yes on both counts. I don't see any need for "horror" music in DotE.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 30, 2013, 9:40:02 AM
Big fan of the music here, its one of the main components apart from art style that really sets the atmosphere of the game.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 30, 2013, 4:55:17 PM
well one of the things i realy love aobout the game is how the music makes me feel alone in a dungon. There is hope but its also a bit sad.

Im still waiting for the sound track
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment