Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Combat system of DotE

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jan 4, 2014, 1:52:31 AM
Personally, I always thought that the idea behind each hero having stats was because those same stats would play a role into combat, their speed meaning if they could dodge an attack, their defense meaning if they could block incoming attacks, their wit being how they handle their next move etc. I kinda was dissapointed that this was lacking, but then again, this is an early version of the game, and I am sure that skills will change that for a lot of us
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 10, 2014, 9:08:55 AM
Mysterarts wrote:
Yes, it's currently right!

But that's because there are only 3 levels; you will have more choices to make later, when you encounter a new hero and have already a complete team (by dismissing a member).

And by "team", I would say "squad" (a part of our team): for example you will create two squads of two heroes who are compatible, or create a squad of 3 and leave the 4th alone because he penalizes the others...

Yes but for the moment, when we meet a new hero in the dungeon you don't know is stats. So it's will be nice to have the possibility to charactere detail with Defense/Speed etc... before we decide to hire him.

And do all the hero we meet in the game will be level 1? Because I imagine in level 5 or 6 when you have a team of heros level 10 for exemple, dismissing a level 10 to hire a level 1 is a bit strange...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 9, 2014, 10:38:46 AM
Delrusant wrote:
Oh Ok, I thought I saw an xbox controller image with select next/ previous hero on L1/R1 and select all with pushing both but I don't know where

The game is mouse / keyboard only at the moment. Gamepad support is considered but we can't say exactly when it's going to be implemented.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 9, 2014, 1:05:39 AM
Oh Ok, I thought I saw an xbox controller image with select next/ previous hero on L1/R1 and select all with pushing both but I don't know where
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 6, 2014, 11:23:22 PM
Delrusant wrote:
It was more all heroes opening the same door (so that they all go into the room where the mobs will most certainly be (especially needed when opening the first doors on lower levels.

I did not find how : so could you enlighten me about selecting more than one heroes at the same time with keyboard and mouse (saw the both button for xbox controller but I do not own one)

O sorry I misunderstood, what I meant is that you can pause the game, select a hero to do one action, after that, while the game is still in pause, you can select another hero to do another action. I don't think there is a way to be able ot select multiple heroes at once.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 6, 2014, 1:03:27 PM
It was more all heroes opening the same door (so that they all go into the room where the mobs will most certainly be (especially needed when opening the first doors on lower levels.

I did not find how : so could you enlighten me about selecting more than one heroes at the same time with keyboard and mouse (saw the both button for xbox controller but I do not own one)
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 5, 2014, 6:08:52 PM
You can select more than one hero at a time, you can always pause the game, and select each hero to do different actions. I haven't tried having multiple heroes opening multiple doors (Mainly because it's a bad strategy) but you are free to try. And well, the game is still on Alpha, later on Skills will be added, so said skills may be able to change battles drastically in certain situations, so maybe that long-range hero with low defense may have powerful skills that can balance combat for said hero.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 5, 2014, 11:36:18 AM
Is there any way (or will it be implemented later on) to select more than one hero at a time for movements (door opening for instance). Linked to this, will there be a way for long range fighter with low def to avoid getting hit other than exiting and re-entering the room where the fight happens?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 5, 2014, 1:48:10 AM
Wouldn't that be more of an event room? For example, in your case what if your fastest hero opens a door, and then suddenly the door behind him/her shuts down, leaving that hero trapped, and that forces another hero to open the door from the outside, or leaving that hero to clear the room to open it manually
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 4, 2014, 3:18:15 PM
One thing I'd like to see is monsters creating some sort of blockage for retreating heroes. Right now I can make a single room my stronghold, full of defenses, and use my fastest hero to open a door, then retreat back to the stronghold.

1) It feels like a cheap strategy.

2) Though my own experience fighting space aliens is limited, it seems like running through a swarm of them might slow one down.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 2, 2014, 6:59:43 PM
Hi everyone,(sorry about my english) bought game today played few hours, realy enjoyed gameplay and game itself. Now whana help you guys (DeV) make it better.

So first thing i what to pay attention its combat system. I've read here many opinions, me too have few suggestion, but i didn't found what DeV think, i mean what you whant to see in the end of your work.

Can you make short remarks about it? What you whant to do, what you totally didn't want to see and etc.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 7:54:06 PM
Adventurer_Blitz wrote:
i think a ninja hissho would be amazing in DotE

I can already picture it smiley: approval weilding a katana or throwing stars and can drop smoke bombs as a skill. Sign me up. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 5:05:02 PM
Mysterarts wrote:
We really want to try to create one "class" by hero smiley: wink

But obviously there are "categories" like melee / ranged, smart / fighter, ninja / tank etc...

Yep, that cool, gotta be more interesting.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 4:10:42 PM
We really want to try to create one "class" by hero smiley: wink

But obviously there are "categories" like melee / ranged, smart / fighter, ninja / tank etc...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 2:49:48 PM
Thanks for answers!

I know that you dont whant do it too complex, but too simple CS also bad.Thought you divide hero on classes? not only melee and ranged heroes.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 1:50:26 PM
Yes, it's currently right!

But that's because there are only 3 levels; you will have more choices to make later, when you encounter a new hero and have already a complete team (by dismissing a member).

And by "team", I would say "squad" (a part of our team): for example you will create two squads of two heroes who are compatible, or create a squad of 3 and leave the 4th alone because he penalizes the others...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 1:32:11 PM
- Create good and bad teams of heroes (with "compatible" skills and combos)

The problem with this is, you don't really have much of a choice when it comes to heroes. You meet so few of them, choosing is not an option. You just take what you are given.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 10:41:53 AM
In a few words:

- Indeed, avoid too much micro-management with an automatic placement and targeting

- Create different situations (with different mob behaviours for example) that require different strategies

- Have different heroes with different approaches of the combat (with stats and skills)

- Keep the skills very simple to use (small number, no need to target for example)

- Create good and bad teams of heroes (with "compatible" skills and combos)
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 12:16:37 AM
I honestly don't think there is a reason to change the combat too much.. They already have plans to add skills to the characters, which will change up combat enough to make it more interesting.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 2, 2014, 11:17:32 PM
Welcome Dirext,

The Game Design Documents (GDD) in this Subforum /#/dungeon-of-the-endless/forum/47-game-design

should help you get a good overview what the developers are aiming for in general and also with combat mechanics smiley: smile

What I have found out is that they have an approach to combat that doesn´t evolve around too much micro management.

Otherwise I believe suggestions are always welcome!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment