Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Soundtrack in FLAC

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jan 14, 2014, 11:16:42 PM
I think the Founders Edition should come with a FLAC soundtrack instead of MP3. Just a suggestion since we are paying more for it. Listening to lossy MP3 format in this day and age is just painful. If it's because people don't want large downloads then there should be an option for people to register their keys with amplitude in order to download the FLAC tracks.

Edit: FLAC soundtrack confirmed by FlyByNo in post #5 below!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 15, 2014, 9:33:37 AM
Hummm I don't know why you're saying Mp3 are lossy or even painful to listen . You should read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_%28data_compression%29 .

Especially this part : " Judging transparency can be difficult, due to observer bias, in which subjective like/dislike of a certain compression methodology emotionally influences his or her judgment. This bias is commonly referred to as placebo, although this use is slightly different from the medical use of the term " .
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 15, 2014, 9:47:49 AM
Yeah, I think we have different definitions for the term "painful" :P
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 15, 2014, 5:30:39 PM
Painful as in it's 2014 and we're still using ancient MP3 compression algorithms (and yes it's lossy). Even MP4/AAC would be better than MP3. It's still lossy but better sound quality at the same bitrate than MP3. In this day and age, we have the bandwidth and storage capacity for lossless audio.

Anyways, I just found out that FlyByNo has the Endless Space album on Bandcamp in FLAC so here's hoping DotE would be on there too. I don't mind paying a little extra.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 9:07:37 AM
Hi there

There will be a FLAC version of the DotE OST at the relase on the GameAudioFactory BandCamp Page

You must be aware that, as for Endless Space soundtrack, FLAC is made directly from WAV masters, and is 24bits , 48Khz depth . And it's quite huge for a download (Endless Space FLAC is 900 Mo), so we cannot put it in the Steam release. In fact, for DotE, it's even in a very high resolution format, in 96 Khz.

++

FlybyNo
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 2:40:19 PM
Thank you for the information FlybyNo and not everyone has fast internet connections speeds there are still parts in the UK that only have 512kb Internet connections.

DarkMeph
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 5:40:36 PM
FlyByNo wrote:
Hi there

There will be a FLAC version of the DotE OST at the relase on the GameAudioFactory BandCamp Page

You must be aware that, as for Endless Space soundtrack, FLAC is made directly from WAV masters, and is 24bits , 48Khz depth . And it's quite huge for a download (Endless Space FLAC is 900 Mo), so we cannot put it in the Steam release. In fact, for DotE, it's even in a very high resolution format, in 96 Khz.

++

FlybyNo

Thank you FlybyNo! That's awesome! Love your music smiley: smile

I can download 900MB in about 2.5min so no worries there smiley: cool Steam should implement some type of DLC system like Origin where you can pick and choose what extra content to download. I can see how forcing all DLC to be downloaded can be a problem with people with slow internet.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 8:00:48 PM
FlyByNo wrote:
Hi there

++

FlybyNo

Awesome, I am so pleased we'll get a FLAC version. Thanks for all your work!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment