Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Destroying nodes, receiving compensation?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jan 14, 2014, 6:36:52 PM
I've noticed sometimes I will create a choke point that will end up going into a dead end, so all of the nodes I've been placing become useless down that corridor since all of the rooms are lit. When I destroy the nodes I no longer deem required I expected to receive some industry for compensation, but get nothing. Will this always be this way or will they be made to drop industry upon destroying it yourself? I understand basic nodes are only 3 industry each and you wouldn't gain much, but the higher tier nodes and healing units cost 9 industry +, it would be nice to get 1/2 of what the nodes were originally worth after destroying them.

Obviously I don't expect to get compensation when an enemy destroys the node, only when you destroy it yourself. Also if this would make the game easier to play and less strategic then I understand why it wouldn't be added, but on the harder levels down the road it may be a God send.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 10:53:02 AM
I think youre right that it would make the game too easy. I think the fact that you don't gain anything from old turrets makes the game all the more challenging and therefore more fun!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 1:40:47 PM
I think recovering some if the node cost might be a good idea for a hero skill once skill trees are implemented. The repair bot would be an obvious choice i think. Maybe have it add 1/8 the cost of the removed item for 3-4 doors so you can't just rebuild in a new area right away.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 17, 2014, 5:24:05 PM
If you tie the refund to opening additional doors afterward I don't think that would as much of an issue. Furthermore the repair bot is IMO pretty awful right now and the large wit bonus doesn't even approaching putting it on parity with other heroes so a little extra engineering, to add defensive and offensive power via construction, at the start of a level seems reasonable to me. I think there's a big difference between making it a general mechanic and trying it to a specific skill on a specific hero.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 17, 2014, 10:56:37 PM
Right now the sole purpose of destroying nodes is to be able to place better ones.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 18, 2014, 11:43:52 AM
Ail wrote:
Right now the sole purpose of destroying nodes is to be able to place better ones.

thats absolutely right, whether it was a mistake or not, this kind of setup forces the player to take a minute and think about their decision to build x number of turrets.

In regards to the repair bot, maybe something can be implemented where a really high wit can actually let the hero repair modules faster during combat. I can see this being a possibility that can make the game a bit more interesting. ie. if you have a room thats full of turrets away from your team that has taken a beating while more waves are coming in, you can send the repair bot to fix them before they come. or perhaps his skills will balance him out a lot better. Who knows!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 18, 2014, 3:49:18 PM
Really high wit already lets the hero repair faster. I don't think it really makes up for the fact that the repair bot requires more engineering be spent on defense and offense to secure rooms since you can't always count on their being breaks between waves and if the hero is in the room he will fight the waves and be targeted by them rather than repair and have them attack the turrets/nodes.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 19, 2014, 4:13:16 AM
At first It was disappointing I didn't get compensated industry for demolition, but then I realized it would make the game too easy. I think part of the strategy is deciding whether or not to continue progress into a branch with limited doors.

There is nothing better than a fully powered dead end with multiple modules installed, they are at no risk and garnish lots of economy. I personally enjoy the risk/reward of deciding whether to open an additional door. I usually make sure I have enough dust in reserve to keep the lights on just in case its a moot room.

Maybe if at some point they add multiple difficulty settings, adding compensation for demolition might be a good thing to add for a beginner mode, alternatively costing industry for demolition could be interesting for a higher difficulty?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 21, 2014, 2:18:42 PM
leadfarmer wrote:
thats absolutely right, whether it was a mistake or not, this kind of setup forces the player to take a minute and think about their decision to build x number of turrets.

The problem with that is it's not strategy - it's luck. The player is penalised by building and if they build a number of defence turrets in a room to open it's final door to the dead end those resources are lost and the later levels are more difficult for that loss. A no-refund policy actually reduces the strategy of buildings and instead pushes the player to rely more heavenly on Heros which in turn focuses on luck in the amount of spawns which occur when a door is opened.

This is what I think would work nicely:

• Full refund if the building is removed on the same turn
  • 50% refund when the building is two turns old
  • 25% refund when the building is three turns old
  • 10% refund when the building is four turns old
  • 0% thereafter.

Reducing the refund based on the life of the building allows the player to correct mistakes - but not "sell out" when they head for the exit.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 21, 2014, 2:58:44 PM
I do not neccessarily see a need to refund the costs (or at most maybe because of a passive of the repair bot that most people mentioned).

Either you risk it and open the door and maybe have imense luck and get a deadend which you can build up nicely, or you delay opening the door in fear of a mob room and expand your dungeon to another way. (of course theres luck included but you always have to choose and wether you open that door or another can be considered as strategy [imho])

Another possiblity is, to place all your heroes (depending on your playstile if you try to gain the max amount of 4 heroes) and place most of them in said room to defend your raised industry.

I think that it comes down in which way you explore your dungeon: I go most of the time in straight lines and dont build up a node when i first discover it (at start of game of course, but later when they are way more expensive not), but when i opened some additional doors.

Another problem could be a exploit of your rule, when the dungeons gets larger and you were able to build sort of a maze, where all monster have to go a long way, you could build turrets/tesals/mines at the start of said maze, refund them once the moster approached the next room, and build them in the (say room after the next one because of build time) and let them shoot at the monster again.

With this you could be able to defend your dungeon with little investments into defense and max out other trees (maybe the tech when its implemented)

Another thing should be, that the refund (if implemented) should be influenced by the amount of health the turret/tesla/mine has left. If not you could always refund a turret shortly before death and regain some (or all) of the ressources spend instead of nothing. ( could be circumvented if refunding wasn't instant but has something like a break down bar, as when building up things)

Guess we have to see how things work out when the dungeons gets bigger and if the no refund policy is still viable.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment