Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

My thoughts on DotE

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 1:08:42 AM
Hi All,

First real thread on here, having clocked up a respectable 40+ hours of gameplay I think I've now earned the right to give my 2 pennies. I'm going to be totally honest and as objective as possible.

Things I don't like very much:

Some of the humour. I'm not going to try and justify it, or rationalise it but some of it makes me question quite how invested I might become in the future storyline. I certainly did not expect from the tone of the intro movie to encounter guns that are made from rice cookers or pink tutu's. I know I may not make myself very popular by expressing that, but if you guys really want my honest feedback, then here it is; so in that vein...

The intro movie. Now whilst I do enjoy this atmospheric and brilliantly executed intro movie, I find myself wondering; how the ♥♥♥♥ did anything survive the colossal, nuclear explosion from the escape craft touching down? What the hell did it impact into? How could the craft possibly look so intact after the gargantuan explosion that results? Ultimately though, I can get over this.

And that's it. Those are the only two reasonable criticisms I can level at the game. I'm not going to attack placeholder graphics, incomplete features and just general ALPHA gameplay. No sir.

Things I really do like:

The music. The music is so good and I'm not kidding, I think I have been whistling the main theme for the last 2 weeks.

The ambiance. I know this may seem to be praising the same thing but I totally disagree. The ambiance in this game makes it impossible for me to play this on low volume or no-sound. The added layer of immersion of weird alien noises, beeping sentries and humming machines... I just can't say enough good things about it.

All of the characters. I really enjoy the mix of characters and how each must be played to their strengths or modified with gear, tactics and luck into strange, wonderful hybrids. For me, their personalities shine. This is where you might accuse me of a double standard, but I think Deena's shouting, Troe's Napoleon complex and DV8's oddness are the best examples of dysfunctional humour within the game. I do genuinely hate losing characters and not just because I now need to replace them. A 2d sprite with a very short bio and limited back story and Amplitude still managed to make me emotionally invested in non-talking characters. Which deeply impresses me.

All of the core gameplay. From getting an unfavourable starting pair and battling on to complete Level 3, to getting my perfect ratio and somehow still getting slaughtered, I love the Rogue-like randomness to this game.

Things I am seriously looking forward to:

More game balance. No, that's not a back-handed insult I enjoy DotE so, so much and would unquestionably continue to play it how it is now. But one can only envision the gameplay getting better with each release and I can't wait to watch new features challenge the status-quo of whatever ones' current tactics and strategies may be. Exciting!

Co-op. Sure, I should have said multiplayer, but come on. This game is begging for co-op action! 4 friends working together, maybe even in an uneasy alliance with online match-up, sounds awesome.

And finally,

All the trimmings. Tech trees, Science, random events, offline persistency, Mac and Linux, all that good stuff.

Can't wait for the next version to drop guys, I check every single day since I received the Founder pack for my birthday last year.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 1:22:55 AM
The silly humor of the items names was a bit odd. I don't mind a good bit of humor, but toothpicks, ricewinds and tutu's are a little silly. Hopefully things get more serious in the final version.

Otherwise- brilliant game, love it!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 16, 2014, 2:31:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not too keen on silly humour either. But as it is the only thing I don't like, I overlook it.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 19, 2014, 3:43:51 AM
Good critique sir.

I don't mind the humor, but I wish it was an all or nothing thing. (rather none at all). Its a little out of place. It reminds me of Dungeons of Dredmore in that respect, which I really enjoyed, but that game was silly as hell and it knew it. DotE humor is a little random, but doesn't bother me. (why is there pink tutu's on a hostile alien world?) If anything I'd knock it because it hurts the immersion a little bit. I'd rather it be overly pretentious sci-fi garble, something like a nanowoven graphene impact reduction system, or something silly ridiculous that way.

Even still - this game is perfect otherwise so I'll agree with melkathi
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 20, 2014, 12:04:58 PM
I suppose the thing I really dislike is that there is no subtlety to the humour. It's just "Here is a pink tutu" or "This massively powerful gun used to be a rice cooker". It just seems a bit lame.

Look at the descriptions for even the more ridiculous items in Fallout 2, much much better. Can only hope these were just gags for place-holder images that will be fleshed out later.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 22, 2014, 5:08:44 AM
Well the humor is well, to me it feels out of place, we have this intense idea of survival and fighting for your life in an unexplored planet, and the only means of extra defense..is a tutu..yeah
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 22, 2014, 7:57:01 AM
Well the player escapes the main ship in an escape pod - smaller ship smiley: smile and the humor i think im fine with it.. i think it's better than boring sci-fi terms i dont even know meaning of. And i like merchants pug smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 22, 2014, 11:35:56 AM
dorobo wrote:
And i like merchants pug smiley: smile

Seconded, that pug is amazing. I think he should have a cameo role in the game. Or alert players by barking that a merchant is in trouble. Team Pug! lol
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment