Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Thoughts after beating the 0.5.2 in easy

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
May 8, 2014, 6:49:31 PM
Hey there,

First of all, this was quite great 12 hours of gaming ! Good job Amplitude, the alpha was very stable and the only bug I can report is that I lost my unequiped inventory between floors. And maybe on last level escapes, there were maybe too many spawn, movements and actions became delayed.

Here are some unordered thoughts. Be aware, I have not read what is being developped.

• In a FTL way, there should be a way to save two or three saved positions. The last three or four floors were really grindy in positionning my team...
  • I should try but... I can't see any use of the mob-slowing module. The escaping phase turn off rooms between the moving crystal and the team, thus I think the module would not work. During the search of the elevator room, I predict that an empty room with only the module would be destroyed before being usefull. BUT I should try it.
  • I "bootlenecked" every levels, having to keep safe only one room with full team and defending module (sometimes two or three rooms, but I always ended with only one room to defend). Thus, industry ends up being quite useless. My team was lvl max on the 6th floor (if I remember well)...
  • Therefore, the last three or four floors were only about having 1 module of each, in order to maintain health, the defending room, some science,... and open, defend, open, defend, open defend... I had no more economic challenge, neither much micromanagement.
  • Bottlenecking the mob paths makes no interest in LAN module.
  • Lighting the way to the exit makes the escape way too easy on last levels. The last floor are big enough to be full of energy (120+) !!
  • Hero-upgrading and mob-degrading modules seems mandatory for the last levels. Upgrading turrets feel too slow and random (you have to find the artifact, in a defended room, and wait for the wanted upgraded...). My heroes ended with like 150 DPS, I don't feel like having minigun or claymore upgraded would be as efficient (moreover I don't think you can force heroes to repair instead of attacking). I'm pretty sure the game designer has an easy way to compare the turrets and the heroes' progressions.
  • Maybe with a bunch of heroes and abilities, there could be a way to make the game interesting with a industry focus play style. I should try it with the current version. Maybe a capability to lock a room for few seconds in order to build the next room before it enters. Maybe something to add a module spot or two in rooms. Protection bubble to modules. Repair instead of attacking. (If any of these quick thoughts can help...)
  • A seat-turret to be manly handled ?
  • ... or maybe this game isn't intended to be more of a tower defence smiley: wink
  • I like the simplicity of mechanics, heroes and modules managements. Therefore I think more variety in the discovery phase would pleased me.
  • A bit more clarity in health management would be great. The safer way is to keep eye on the upper portraits. But I want to see the mob, the heroes, their animations are pretty great !!
  • Texts are fun ! Well written.
  • ... thus I want alien discoveries inside the dungeon, visual stuff, written stuff !!
  • Would be great to have a better impression of progressing inside the mountain(?). The implicit story starts well with the ship crashed, strange rooms, finding a guy, etc... But I had not much to tell my own story later. The only stuff I believe change, is that levels end up being more sandy.

I hope you'll appreciate my quick & random thoughts smiley: wink

Bon courage to the team.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 8, 2014, 7:06:13 PM
" I think more variety in the discovery phase would pleased me. "

I agree. Very nice game. Now more event (more type of event: bosses, maybe they can speak too ?, and strange things that can happen in a alien world...) would be great.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 9, 2014, 2:31:27 PM
Not to mention that we don't know/have all the elements of basic gameplay yet: "Endless Expert" grants Wit +7 to analyze ruins.

What?? smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 9, 2014, 11:10:23 PM
I'd like to see the engineer heroes have the ability to focus on repairing modules instead of fighting "combat mechanic" or something. You could toggle it on/off (or maybe it'd have a cooldown?). Either way it could be the difference between loosing your food module or not.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 10, 2014, 12:55:32 PM
Think all of the things you want to see will be featured along the way towards the final version more or less.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 10, 2014, 5:03:25 PM
trashcondor wrote:
Not to mention that we don't know/have all the elements of basic gameplay yet: "Endless Expert" grants Wit +7 to analyze ruins.

What?? smiley: biggrin

I thought "ruins" were the machines you sometimes find in rooms, granting +X in food, industry or science.... Maybe you're right smiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 11, 2014, 5:30:29 AM
MontagMcClellan wrote:
I thought "ruins" were the machines you sometimes find in rooms, granting +X in food, industry or science.... Maybe you're right smiley: wink
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that "ruins" means contents of the room. E.g. better ruin analyzing gives you a better chance to find something good.

As for OP: The slow module is very room-specific. It really is only useful in a medium-large room your heroes are defending, or in a large/long room with a whole shitload of turrets, preferably Tesla or Machineguns. I managed to hold off 3 rooms of mobs with 4 Tesla IVs and a stun module for 30 doors. All I had to do was repair occasionally.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 11, 2014, 8:48:14 AM
ZumboPrime wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that "ruins" means contents of the room. E.g. better ruin analyzing gives you a better chance to find something good.

If I remember correctly, what you find is purely based on luck. Tehre is a percentage for positive and a percentage for negative events (and a percentage for no events). Then there is a random number for the the quantity of loot. Endless Expert though provides a wit bonus - and wit does not seem to feature in this process.

Up until recently Endless Expert was clearly marked as not having its effect implemented into the game. I don't see anything having changed gameplay wise, so I expect it to still be useless.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment