Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Random targeting is annoying

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Apr 29, 2014, 3:55:18 PM
Just a minor suggestion for a change here. I noticed that when my hero is attacking a target and a new enemy comes into the room they seem to stop attacking their current target to attack the new target. This is very annoying especially when the fighting gets heavy and you have more and more enemies pouring into the room and your hero continues to change target. All of a sudden i have say 5-6 partially damaged enemies in the room wailing away on my hero which can be a death sentence sometimes (especially on easy aka hard). It would be nice if your hero picked a target and stuck with it until it dies
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 2, 2014, 12:16:22 AM
That's interesting. I have not noticed the renewed targeting. However, I did have a game earlier today when multiple mobs were pouring into a room and while watching the fighting, I noticed many of the monsters had low health but were still alive. Perhaps, that's what you are talking about.

Although, the battle system could be designed that way, and perhaps the attack modules are designed to finish weak mobs off? I'll have to pay closer attention next game.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 2, 2014, 5:41:32 PM
TheWanderer wrote:
That's interesting. I have not noticed the renewed targeting. However, I did have a game earlier today when multiple mobs were pouring into a room and while watching the fighting, I noticed many of the monsters had low health but were still alive. Perhaps, that's what you are talking about.

Although, the battle system could be designed that way, and perhaps the attack modules are designed to finish weak mobs off? I'll have to pay closer attention next game.

Hm, I think in most cases heroes should aim to finish of mobs whenever possible and not hope modules do the rest. I think a way to deal with that would be what I sugested here: /#/dungeon-of-the-endless/forum/47-game-design/thread/17662-hero-preset-behaviors
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 2, 2014, 10:15:25 PM
I guess the main question is if it was all enemies of the same type. I understand a targeting priority between different types of enemies. But between the same type, a hero should indeed stick with one target and finish it off.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 4, 2014, 4:36:27 AM
Another thing I'm a bit annoyed about is all the heroes go after different mobs. It would be nice if there were some sort of general toggle where we could choose heroes' targeting preferences. E.g. wounded vs. unwounded, enemy type, if it's already being attacked.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 4, 2014, 7:15:56 AM
It would be nice if there were some sort of general toggle where we could choose heroes' targeting preferences.

Yeah, it would be great, because, well, I understand the devs when they say they want to keep the game simple, but for now the auto-targeting system is more like a disability, and it can be pretty annoying. : (

A behavior system for the characters could be a good compromise.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 5, 2014, 5:10:14 PM
I sure am against targeting system, as it would mean too much micro for my taste, on the other hand, behaviour sounds great.

I'm usually not against micro, it's just the set-up of this game which imo would not be fitting for it.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 7, 2014, 11:18:44 PM
Tiphereth wrote:
Yeah, it would be great, because, well, I understand the devs when they say they want to keep the game simple, but for now the auto-targeting system is more like a disability, and it can be pretty annoying. : (

A behavior system for the characters could be a good compromise.
Sounds good to me. Right now I think they just pick whatever enemy is closest. Which means hitting like 10 of them and killing the last one to enter the room while being attacked by all of them.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 12, 2014, 8:54:52 AM
From what I've seen, a character just starts attacking the first one into a room and doesn't change enemies unless one starts attacking a module. I haven't noticed it switching back and forth otherwise.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 25, 2014, 9:05:01 AM
Sloul wrote:
I sure am against targeting system, as it would mean too much micro for my taste, on the other hand, behaviour sounds great.

I'm usually not against micro, it's just the set-up of this game which imo would not be fitting for it.

Maybe the user could have a default setting, and a custom setting. That way the option is available to micro-manage, without being forced. It could be anything from a per turn, per unit targetting system, or an options menu option, to a default attack behaviour that changes with the user right clicking a specific enemy type onscreen, to force attack that specific unit/unit type until that unit/unit type in room is dead.

I need to learn to make my sentences smaller.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 27, 2014, 7:15:58 PM
The targeting system is not random, nor do heroes attack the closest target.

As evidenced by ./public/configuration/AIConfigs.xml DotE uses a priority targeting system whereby weights are given to various classes of enemy (melee, ranged, etc.)

Sometimes frustratingly, crystophiles are public enemy #1. You will recognize them as the humanoid bugs which walk single-mindedly toward your crystal, ignoring heroes and modules alike. While you certainly don't want them slipping through your fingers, given their high health and defense stats, they may better be dealt with by back-trapping your hallway and letting static emplacements eliminate the threat they pose. Because, of course, while your heroes are busy whaling away at its thick hide, a large group of mobs is gathering and their DPS is rising. They're also a little slower than most other mobs, so your heroes might get a hit or two off on another enemy before switching targets.

Oh, and your heroes prefer not to attack mobs already targeted by another hero. That can be a little frustrating, because enemy DPS falls more slowly that way; However, the support of a fast-firing weapon like the smoking gun might mitigate this, by trimming off the last bit of a given mob's health.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment