Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

EXPLOIT: Power Cycling

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
May 28, 2014, 6:19:51 PM
Version 0.6.10

The delay between mobster waves and resource income allows players to safely claim much larger areas than would otherwise be possible on a limited income. This may or may not have been a conscious design choice, but it encourages the player (me) to pause the game halfway through a breach to redirect power from dead-end resource rooms to front-line staging grounds.

Similarly, player characters are given orders to migrate from their operation duties to make safe unpowered rooms within range - typically one room away, but some can manage to run two rooms before waves spawn.

A bit nuanced, maybe. As a game mechanic, it is highly reminiscent of FTL. Such as those developers have implemented, should power cycling be a favourable aspect of gameplay, hotkeys/bookmarks should be implemented to quickly order your actors to their battlestations or back to their operating posts.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 30, 2014, 12:19:22 AM
I think this is one of the most common "expert-tips".

The most common application beeing to get all your resource-buildings to produce ressources and then defend a chokepoint that you wouldn't have had power for anyways.

I do that all the time.

And since it has been around since the very first public build, I very much think it is intended.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 30, 2014, 12:30:05 AM
Ah. I'm not opposed to the mechanic itself, but the process is a bit tedious and would definitely benefit from a hotkey.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
10 years ago
Jun 4, 2014, 1:39:55 AM
Agreed that it does feel exploity - though as was mentioned it's passed off as a "tip". Call it what you want, it really comes down to what the devs think and if it's a problem for them in terms of how the game is designed. If they think it needs to change, it will change. If not, then it's probably meant to be something you can consider.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jun 4, 2014, 11:51:49 AM
I believe that the changes to operate mechanics exist to mitigate this particular issue. You can still cycle power through different branches, but you won't cash in on huge amounts of bonus resources in the process.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jun 13, 2014, 2:30:29 PM
Thinking about it. The change to the way you operate major modules isn't related. That change didn't do anything to the benefits from micro managing room power to extend your front lines. Doesn't feel like an exploit at all. Its a forward thinking way you can improve your play with some pre-planning and preparation.

The changes the mobs and how they spawn were big. Micro managing room power might be even more important. Easy difficulty is quite something.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment