Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Abilities that just don't seem practical

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Dec 21, 2014, 5:13:43 PM
I got a sword that gave the Duelist ability, but I do not see much use for this ability; how often will you be targeted by exactly one enemy (except when there's only one left)?

Also of note is the Wit for Repairing on Master Hacker (the defense is okay). Repairing never happens during combat, and my experience has been that there is only rarely a time where waves are staggered such that you get time between them (not to mention made up of such enemies that you NEED to repair between them at the same time).

War Profiteer also seems a bit lackluster, since it gives a small boost to a small chance (or does it increase the chance to 20% PLUS the original? That might be useful), while turning Mormish into nonfunctioning lump for the duration as it triples his attack delay to nearly 5 seconds.

Is there something I am missing about these abilities that make them better than they seem?
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 21, 2014, 5:51:50 PM
Duelist used to be a skill of a number of characters. Exactly because it isn't all that great, they no longer have it. Rather than to simply delete it, it was left on one sword. Perhaps it will get reworked in the future, who knows smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 21, 2014, 6:14:28 PM
Your question about the skill War Profiteer made me look deeper into the XML-files, where all the values are located.

Dust gain probability varies per creature: 0.1 for Sillic Crystals to 1.0 for several mobs, such as Necrophage Hunters (the annoying fast hero killer).

This is multiplied by the level you are on: 1.0 for floor 1 to 0.2 for floor 12

And by the difficulty level: 0.75 on Easy

Several abilities can influence this. I know that the operation used in XML files is 'Multiplication' for Chef's skill, while it is 'Percent' for skills like the Warden's.

Unfortunately I do not have the knowledge of these XMLs to tell you what the operation means. Can anyone help us out?

I DO know that I used Nanor in two of my good runs (Escape pod Easy and Drilling Pod Easy to floor 13), and that his skill is really, really valuable. Floor wide skills + Science = Rekkage.

Warden Mormash was also on one of those runs. To me his Armchair General is the better skill. Do not prioritise levelling him, keep him as an operator in the back lines and give the rest of your team the extra Attack Power.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 21, 2014, 8:32:02 PM
Not sure why you are bringing up Nanor smiley: smile Yes he can be quite awesome smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 22, 2014, 2:25:21 AM
Mormish's 1st active gives him less DPS and doesn't synergize with "armchair general". Yes, his ability is horribly balanced with compared to other actives... but "horribly balanced" != "horribly designed".

Heroes are not solely defined by their active abilities, or even passives. The cost to level, and the stat gain from each level purchase is considerably different from hero to hero, and Mormish gains a lot more DPS/Defense/HP than the other "smart" operators (josh/rakya/opbot). Still, he's a high cost character to level up in the first place (gaining operate at level 4, and having a higher cost to level), making him a hard choice for a starting character, but an excellent choice, past floor 5.

Mormish has the potential to become a "switch" operator that can alternate between frontline and backline operating. No matter where he is, the value of one of his actives will counter-intuitively diminish the value of the other active, but his stats make up for that. A "switch" character with more options is only even more valuable in DotE, given that many floors are easy and many floors are difficult, Mormish can react accordingly. The sad thing is, this isn't readily apparent to my fellow dungeoneers, because you'd not only have to look closely at the hero wikis, but you'd have to do some math (excel recommended) to figure any of this out. I beat Sanitary Pod with Rakya, but if I found him on floor 8, I would have easily valued a level 6 Mormish over a level 7 Rakya.

Abilities do not solely define heroes.

/thread (or actually just partially /thread because I didn't cover item abilities, hehe)
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 4, 2015, 5:54:36 AM
Paramedic is just awful. Probably the worst ability imo. Long cooldown and doesn't even do much anyways. A few autodocs will do the job better and all the time.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 11, 2015, 8:14:43 PM
EndlessDeskLamp wrote:
Paramedic is just awful. Probably the worst ability imo. Long cooldown and doesn't even do much anyways. A few autodocs will do the job better and all the time.

I found having two heroes with Paramedic was great for the (whichever pod disallows healing modules and healing between waves) pod. But, for all other pods I'd agree that paramedic is relatively useless.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 23, 2015, 7:17:58 AM
Brazilian_Joe wrote:
Can't Duelist be combined with Skulker and work on every attack?

Depends on the actual code. If duelist works when hero is targeted by exactly one enemy, then skulker would prevent it from triggering as the hero wouldn't be targeted at all. If it triggers when the hero is targeted by fewer than two enemies, then zero is less than two and it would kick in.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment