Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Armory Pod + "Keep your distance" Steele = Death

Copied to clipboard!
9 years ago
Oct 27, 2015, 9:04:40 PM
So, after a bunch of months of not really playing DotE I came back for another round. I had finished the Escape and Infirmary Pod so I made my way to the Armory Pod.

I did great up to floor 7 and I deem it highly likely I'd have gotten through, then I encounter a really wide branched floor (I think it was 7 or 8). Through all these floors I also never got the chance to research a science module, so food modules and a low-level turret or 2 were all I could build. No real issue, despite a lot of monsters I went on strongly.

That is until I encounter a "Keep your distance" Steele deep into the floor, so I have many rooms I can't power, but still haven't found the elevator and there were a good bunch of doors left. Well and that was it with my attempt, RNGeesus said. Since There's no farming much smiley: industry as you can't build those modules with the Armory Pod I couldn't put up any meaningful defense, and then had an exploding monster literally one-shot one of my heroes (the strongest one at that) from 95% HP right down to death so there was no food healing possible either. Since I had 3 turns with that dooming Steele left I called it quits as I couldn't replace the dead hero anyway (and of course it was one of the more important ones).

(For those that don't know or remember what the "Keep your Distance" Steele does, it sets the Defense of all of your Heroes to 0 but reinforces minor modules)

There's no sugarcoating it, that experience really sucked and felt unnecessary, as it was simply RNGeesus turning on me a lot more than I feel comfortable with. That being said the RNG and uniqueness of every run is what I like about DotE.

So... it would be like really cool not to get thrown into a "You can't build proper minor module defenses, so have a Steele that forces you to use minor modules - aaand, poof you're dead" situation. So yeah, I don't know why the KYD Steele is still possible in Armory Pod but it does absolutely not belong there.

Not fun. And games are supposed to be fun. If I lose then I at least want to lose out of my own stupidity, so there's something to learn from. I like it hard, but not impossible. In retrospect I literally see no way of surviving that, apart from clairvoyance and avoiding that room altogether.

Sorry for the rant but that experience just rubbed me the wrong way and I had to get rid of it.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 28, 2015, 9:12:59 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

I agree with you, we will tweak that for a future update (it's unfortunately a bit late to implement this in the next one) smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 28, 2015, 11:34:25 AM
This is one of the reasons why I haven't gone through the various pods as my playthroughs continue. Some of these combinations and the RNGeesus (I love this) just don't play well together.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 28, 2015, 6:32:01 PM
Mysterarts wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

I agree with you, we will tweak that for a future update (it's unfortunately a bit late to implement this in the next one) smiley: smile

Haha yeah, I've just updated the game and will go for another try, hoping I either don't get that Steele, or do not get it at such a specifically bad point.

Nasarog wrote:
This is one of the reasons why I haven't gone through the various pods as my playthroughs continue. Some of these combinations and the RNGeesus (I love this) just don't play well together.

I'm quite used to abuse by RNGeesus and occasionally have hit insanely unlikely bad combinations, up to the point where there was a time in my life where I would've thrown all my money at lotto tickets if I could've reversed my luck smiley: sarcastic

Things like missing a 30% chance like 30 times in a row, 0,7^30 = 0,002% if I calculated that correctly.

But recently I have encountered less of these insanely unlikely events, this being the most recent exception.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment