Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Lack of ability to choose starting heroes promotes start scumming

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Mar 7, 2014, 1:27:45 PM
Something I've found with the new harder difficulty is that certain starting hero combinations are significantly harder because they don't bring a specific ability to the table. For example Gort + Troe effectively prevent you from ever repairing a module unless you find an item or another hero to do it for them. Another is Opbot + Deena denies you from having any major damage dealer, making you rely on turrets far more.

What I've found is that this encourages me to start scum, or start a game, if I get a combo I don't like, abandon it and try again. I do this until I have a combo that at least covers the basics: operate machinery, good dps, someone will learn repair eventually. The reason is on the harder difficulty you aren't likely to even find another member on the first floor any longer. You might not find one till floor 3, which would pretty much doom your run if you have some equally bad luck elsewhere.

In the end the random starting heroes don't provide added difficulty, they actually just provide monotony until you get a good pair. Why not just let us pick our starting two? You could let is pick them directly, or place them in categories which we can pick 2 of and get a random from that category. E.g. Troe would be DPS + Tank categories. If we picked one of those we could get him, but we wouldn't get Opbot who is Support + Maintanence

With some control over it, you would reduce the need to start scum for viable combinations.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 7, 2014, 1:32:43 PM
We plan to let the player choose the heroes at start (with a random option) smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 7, 2014, 1:48:27 PM
Ahh, good good. Though I actually like my idea where you pick two categories, and get random heroes that can fill those (within reason)

Edit: Btw, am I correct in noticing that Gort and Kroig have a 3 strike attack animation that does full damage every hit? I also think I saw Opbot gain something similar with his #1 ability, and Troe might have one if berserked. Golgy may have a 2 strike animation, but I'm not sure on that one.

If so, then Gort and Kroig are by far the best DPS characters. Opbot and Troe fall into second as they can't use their DPS every door.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 7, 2014, 3:50:46 PM
The damage of each hit is divided by the number of hits by animation smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 7, 2014, 5:48:34 PM
You really like to burst my bubbles today. Still, they do a LOT of damage then when compared to others.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 12, 2014, 5:04:36 AM
please still make a all random option to i like to get a complete random team up and fight my way trough the game, just put a random button beside the other choices. so than all the guys who wanna have some control over there starter heros are happy and i'm happy to smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 12, 2014, 5:20:18 AM
Mysterarts wrote:
We plan to let the player choose the heroes at start (with a random option) smiley: smile

That is what (s)he said up here. It is planned smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 12, 2014, 5:29:30 AM
i got it like

Support + Maintanence, DPS + Tank <- kinda random option

not random choices i want hero X,Y

so i wanted make sure i get my all random button smiley: biggrin :P
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 12, 2014, 4:02:43 PM
You might not want to confuse my suggestions with Mysterart's statements. I'm just suggesting a system like you talked about up there. Mysterarts simply said that there will be a random option, with no confirmation or denial that my suggestions would be implemented.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment