Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Amplitude future game developement

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Nov 21, 2014, 11:27:23 PM
My friends bought DotE solely for the multiplayer and we logged 10 hours during launch week. In hindsight, this was pretty frustrating and now they feel burned by the experience. It is unlikely that I could talk them into coming back when you finish it or that they would recommend it to their friends now. Given this outcome, I think it would have been better for everyone involved if DotE had not listed multiplayer as a feature at launch.

Problems we had that week:

*item trading not implemented

*frequent item bug in which it cannot be equipped or sold

*the game loses sync every session on good connections

*no save function in a 2-4 hour game

We are still interested in Amplitude's unique style in their games but we will be more cautious in the future.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 22, 2014, 2:12:38 AM
battledroll wrote:
My friends bought DotE solely for the multiplayer and we logged 10 hours during launch week. In hindsight, this was pretty frustrating and now they feel burned by the experience. It is unlikely that I could talk them into coming back when you finish it or that they would recommend it to their friends now. Given this outcome, I think it would have been better for everyone involved if DotE had not listed multiplayer as a feature at launch.

Problems we had that week:

*item trading not implemented

*frequent item bug in which it cannot be equipped or sold

*the game loses sync every session on good connections

*no save function in a 2-4 hour game

We are still interested in Amplitude's unique style in their games but we will be more cautious in the future.

The game design of their games are great. What you will learn after buying the first game is that Multiplayer will have issues in all of their games, ranging from annoying to unplayable.

That being said some of the issues do get fixed over time, but it is clear that their strength as a people does not lie in providing functioning Multiplayer, but this is greatly made up by the uniqueness of their games. In that sense I'd rate the quality of the games as higher than for example a Blizzard game, with the only problem being that the technical issues that are present do burn you out.

So while we are doing comparisons I would rate their games below Paradox games for example, as Paradox does provide games of similar/higher quality without the technical issues.

All in all you just have to keep all of that in mind. I'd still buy an Amplitude game any time of the day, I have played them all and they are all great.

Even though I really didn't enjoy DotE in SinglePlayer much. I think they missed the part during game design that it should have been a MP-focussed game, as that is where the fun lies. MP functionality was added way too late in the development cycle.

The missing features are part of the reason mentionned above. The game was designed as a Singleplayer game, with an internet connection slapped on top of it. So even though you are playing in MP, a lot of the game mechanics behave as if it were a sinleplayer game. That should really get fixed, but it's way too late, so it proably won't.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 24, 2014, 10:55:15 AM
FYI Paradox is a publisher, not a developer. The makeup of their released games varies.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment