Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

No final cutscene?

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Jan 16, 2015, 10:41:36 PM
Okay, just to clarify: Dungeon of the Endless is roguelike meets tower defence done right, but...

After completing the 12th floor I don't even get a final cutscene? Just a picture of some of the characters witnessing a meteor shower? Really?

I don't even know what to make of this. I mean, this is what one would expect of a typical roguelike - you get a "Congratulations" and that's it.

But after seeing an intro cutscene, I expected one at the end. This leaves me a bit... disappointed. I'm not talking about seeing all the plot threads (i.e. secrets) going to an end, after all it's understandable that you guys wanted to leave on a cliffhanger to leave more room for a sequel, maybe.

But come on, you don't even treat us to a cutscene of people sending a distress signal? That's so sad.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 17, 2015, 12:32:21 AM
I agree that it would be nice if we at least had a cutscene of the elevator reaching the top floor, doors shifting open and the fresh air of Auriga's surface howling in the distance, maybe a silhouette's feet shuffling out into the light before the final static "Congratulations" screen pops up. Personally I wish we had the option of viewing This Prologue Video within the game itself, from an "Extras" menu or something, because it provides a little more context to how you end up where you are at the start of the game. The short 5-10 second clip we have now suffices, but I really enjoyed that short movie and found it was more informative to what's going on to begin the event of struggling through the dungeon than what the in-game intro cinematic provides.

As for leaving a cliffhanger for a sequel? Endless Legend in general is more or less a sequel in terms of the chronology and universe of the Endless franchise, followed by Endless Space. What I find cool about Dungeon of the Endless is that you're fighting for the fate of at least one of Auriga's major factions in Endless Legend, the Vaulters. I personally haven't played the other Endless games yet, but the world-building of this series is so good that just by beating DotE, (depending on what characters you escape with) you're kind of ensuring the survival of the Vaulters/potentially preceding some events of the other games' timelines. Opbot is a great example of this simply because he ends up still being a pretty important character for the Vaulters in Endless Space, hundreds of years (or thousands? I don't know the time range, but I imagine it's pretty significant) after the events of DotE.

So in short, I mostly agree that it would be nice to have a little more of a cinematic ending experience considering the struggle to reach the ending. The static win screen is fine for showing the specific characters you won with and personalizing that victory, but a more general cinematic, (general in the way that I don't expect Amplitude to create a full cinematic for every single character obviously) even if it's just a non-specific silhouette passing beyond the elevator and out to Auriga's overworld would be pretty satisfying. Not super-necessary, but giving the player an extra pat on the back would certainly be nice smiley: smile
0Send private message
9 years ago
Sep 24, 2015, 7:33:56 AM
I just finished my first game of Endless Legend. My reaction is the same as yours was to the earlier game. I don't even need a cutscene... just a paragraph telling me what actually happened when I . I want the tail of my story!!!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment