Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Biomass Cannery/Factory Balance Issue (Situationally Breaks Game)

Copied to clipboard!
9 years ago
Nov 28, 2015, 12:11:33 PM

Biomass Cannery/Factory can be used indefinitely in certain floors, after picking up crystal. See image for an example.

Once done, industry and/or food becomes practically unlimited, and the game is trivialized after that.

To abuse, try to get as many of these in the floor as possible:

• Enough dust to power rooms to get a single chokepoint that leads to crystal
  • Chokepoint with many minor module slots (more = faster)
  • No anti-major-module monsters + Tactical HUD
  • No anti-minor-module monsters + tear gas and/or neurostun
  • Autodoc in a room behind chokepoint

Even without all these factors, it is still possible to "farm" hundreds of industry and/or food (e.g. if there are anti-module monsters, have a sequence of chokepoints to sequentially fall back on; kite monsters at a choke point and put a tear-gas at the choke point, or kite + use pat; etc).

It can be done on the easy early floors, which then trivialises all the later floors.

The problem is that it is indefinite, which 1. makes the optimal strategy to be waiting 30 minutes to farm up industry and food during the crystal run, which is not exciting 2. practically removes FIDS constraint in the game, which is a large part of the game.

Obvious possible solutions: limit amount of FIDS from biomass per floor; limit amount of FIDS gained during crystal run; monster power scales indefinitely after crystal run, thus making it impossible to clear the waves after a short amount of time.

---

I left the game running while I typed this, and now have 3549 industry and 7801 food. At floor 7 escape pod. Clearly broken. Although it might be argued that a person that can construct such a farming/grinding setup will generally win the game anyhow anyway.
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Dec 3, 2015, 10:58:15 PM
I'm new here, but is it possible to edit the Biomass Cannery and Factory to have a debuff that edits what monsters spawn on the floor they're being used on?

Namely that the exploit is made much easier when there are no anti-major module monsters on a floor.

If the usage of the major modules in question attracted the attention of anti-major module monsters, or made it possible for them to spawn/more likely on the floors they're used on it could make the modules more balanced.

Even giving the modules less functionality when the crystal is being moved could make the exploit less exploitable. I haven't gotten the Biomass Cannery and Factory Modules yet, but I am really looking forward to seeing how this issue is dealt with.

I like that it exists, so I hope that the debuff isn't too massive.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Dec 7, 2015, 1:38:39 PM
Isaac89 wrote:
Hi dingfengquek,

The issue will be fixed. Thanks for your feedback.

Is this realy an issue? This Food/Industry farming was also posible without modules(with right heroes). On the way it is now we get two module types that work's the same but requieres high investment in right reserch and give higher output when grouped. Both of them that if not used for "exploit" are near worthless. Building right kill zone(i use for this seblasters with farm modules) is posible on low levels(with right tech). On high levels when i have right tech for this there is lots monsters that damage/destroy/block modules making the strat near worthles(with large costs allready payed) so it is not as easy as might look. This is typical risk vs reward strat. Manage to pull it off and whole run is completed. Fail and you will end with crapy tech's and strugle for survival or start another run. IMO you shoud consider to increase reserch/cost values of both modules to add more "risk" in going this way and keep the "reward" part unchanged.

PS. One more thing is that you coud give more information in the tooltips. Alt-tabing to see what something actualy do is not good.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Dec 17, 2015, 1:00:58 PM
i20918 wrote:
Is this realy an issue? This Food/Industry farming was also posible without modules(with right heroes). On the way it is now we get two module types that work's the same but requieres high investment in right reserch and give higher output when grouped. Both of them that if not used for "exploit" are near worthless. Building right kill zone(i use for this seblasters with farm modules) is posible on low levels(with right tech). On high levels when i have right tech for this there is lots monsters that damage/destroy/block modules making the strat near worthles(with large costs allready payed) so it is not as easy as might look. This is typical risk vs reward strat. Manage to pull it off and whole run is completed. Fail and you will end with crapy tech's and strugle for survival or start another run. IMO you shoud consider to increase reserch/cost values of both modules to add more "risk" in going this way and keep the "reward" part unchanged.

PS. One more thing is that you coud give more information in the tooltips. Alt-tabing to see what something actualy do is not good.

I think it should be fixed that it doesn't give the additional food bonus once the crystal is picked up. The use of +industry per kills on a pod like Armory is amazing. I can see the +food being useful in multiplayer matches. Loading up on 9999 food/industry was likely not the intent of these minor modules.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment