Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Official survey: DotE's Heroes

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message0Send private message
10 years ago
Sep 23, 2014, 4:57:27 PM
Submitted as well.

Though I don't see this survey being enough without proper, in depth feedback by enough people smiley: smile

A few thoughts then:

Max:

One of the most useful heroes and a staple of many people's line-up, but when it comes down to it a one trick horse. What makes him useful is pilfer, otherwise a pretty forgetable character.

Opbot:

A great operator with some skills to give him a certain level of usefullness even in other situations. His healing skill might make him a great choice for Infirmary runs. Otherwise he is one of the heroes who's usefullness took a great blow from the operate-change. Part of what made him fantastic before was his ability to operate and quickly dash to lend a hand when the front line was buckling. For immovable operators there are now better choices though. His unique skill recycling could tip the balance in his favour, but it's effect just isn't noticeable enough.

Sara:

Her speed makes her a great runner and means she can zip around a large dungeon to bolster defenses where needed. Detrimental though are the facts that one of her active skills literally hamstrings her: reducing the speed of the character who's main asset is speed - and who needs to constantly move to get into melee range. And one of her passives is useless: duelist? How can a skill that is based on fighting only a single enemy at a time work in a game were enemies always spawn in groups? If it was combined with some sort of active skill which, for its duration forced an aggro cap on her of one enemy at a time, then that would be a different deal.

Gork:

The former killing machine without equal has had some serious competition lately. He combines survivability with good damage and a way to draw aggro in a pinch. It made him fantastic before and the cooldown refresh with science boosts what made him good. His stupendously low speed makes him a bit tedious to play and once things go sideways prevent you from salvaging a situation others might have been able to. Maybe a sligth boost to Soylent Green would be in order, but otherwise I rather like him.

Hikensha:

Hikensha always has me wondering what the point is. Sure, she can fight in a dark room. But the faster heroes can simply get out of that dark room and get back to your minor modules packed defensive position. Since rooms no longer power down during the crystal run, her skills have been seriously reduced in usefullness. Besides that, she has no stats that stand out: she can operate but others can do that better; she can fight, but others can do that better; she can scout but others can do that better.

The best thing is that she is mediocre at everything and not terible at anything.

Troe:

Troe can fight. Troe can run. But in a game were most people will scout with Max due to pilfer, what chance does an otherwise fantastic scout have?

Deena:

Deena can operate if need be and in long battles her healing can help keep everyone on their feet when monsters have been drawn out and there are lulls between the attacks. Though it may just be better to take someone who can fight instead and make sure the healing isn't needed - after all, it isn't great healing. She seemed like the natural choice for her infirmary pod, but that is where at least one of her skills stops working if I remember correctly...

Gogly:

Golgy is fast and has a fast attack speed, making her a good scout and not too bad a fighter. Her two device slots mean she can really be customized as items are found. That is, as long as items are found smiley: wink Probably still my favoutire character.

Skroig:

Skroig and I never were off to a good start - he was my least favourite choice in the vote. He is also the hero who, for me, has the least character: the swashbuckling skills that should stand in contrast to his necrophage nature simply mean that with the limited means available to define a hero's personality, his drag towards two opposit sides to remain undefined in the middle. To top that, he is the most useless of heroes: he should be a fighter but he just isn't; he dies like a fly trapped in a cell with Golgy. Especially with Nanor available now, even those skills that could have some use can be found on a better hero. If you took Skroig out of the game, I doubt anyone would notice besides that there are less characters ont he select screen.

Rakya:

I am an anti-smoker. It is my firm believe that people who think they have the "human right" to blow unhealthy smoke in my face should also respect my "human right" to punch people in the face smiley: wink It is funny then that the chain smoking hero is one of my all time favourites. Rakya has good wit. Not as good as Opbot or Josh, but she does get master hacker making her a very good choice. Add to that that she is less squishy than those two and that she augments the modules in a room, she makes a good choice for operating a module at a choke point, allowing her to both boost resource gain and fight. It is a risk to defend in a room with a major module, but especially on floors without silic bulldozers, it is a risk well worth taking with a hero like Rakya.

Ken:

Ken is the hero I have used the least. Like other fast heroes he falls in the trap of not being Max for scouting and not being one of the super tanks for fighting. I don't see him as being bad, just that some of the others are too obvious a choice, so that in the end I'll pass him by. Still, if I have an open slot and I meet Ken, I won't complain.

Joleri:

I find Joleri's main problem to be her penalty. In a game were most players pick Max to maximize their dust gain, who will give a chance to the hero who reduces dust gain? Are her benefits really that awesome to offset the handicap?

Mormish:

Mormish is a fairly good operator and more importantly he is one of those operators who even when not actively participating in the fight, he can affect its outcome. Add to that the increased dust loot, which used strategically can increase income significantly, and he can actually help out a difficult situation.

Elise:

Elise is awesome. She does damage, she can take a punch and to add to that she can even operate in a pinch. With an item to draw aggro she can easily replace Gork as a tank. And with enough sience to refresh her two active skills, she can clear truly gigantic waves (on Too Easy I had her solo clear the max spawn size by refreshing her skills and spamming them).

Nanor:

Nanor is a good sword fighter. Where I guess he really should shine is the Infirmary, as the reduced healing cost will amke a great difference there. But even in normal modes, the fact that he affects the resources you spend is a great boon.

Josh:

The obvious choice for operating, especially if you will have a second operator who's wit he can boost. He has a few tricks up his sleeve, but basically he'll end up stuck next to a major module and stay there 'till the run for the exit.

Mizi:

Everything about Mizi shouts to have her scouting and take on enemies on her own and refreshing her skills does make for a lot of damage. But what use is it if she can't survive long enough for the skill to refresh? She has potential but suffers from a certain degree of skroigness: her lack of a third equipment slot decreases her survivability too significantly.

Kreyang:

Kreyang seems to be meant to move around the dungeon quickly and figth where needed. Her active skill is fantastic, as it buys you time to react and adapt. Her other skills not so much. Especially that first passive is too situational: what good is a buff while research is performed at an artifact, if I can go four floors without finding one? Other than that, she is probably the most usefull of the native heroes.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Sep 30, 2014, 1:22:16 PM
Yes sorry, I just closed it to gather the data (soon available).

Please feel free to give us your opinion about the different heroes in this thread smiley: smile

Thanks melkathi for your detailed post!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Sep 30, 2014, 6:06:41 PM
Mostly, i am agree with Melkathi, but with few notes from my side:

Max:

Totally superior character. Yes, mostly because of his Pfiler skill, but he can be helpfull in every situation: Scouting (in addition to Philer skill, lately he unlocks a +Speed ability, helps a lot), Battle (support skill +dmg and +def to other persons in room), Repair (i didn't lock him in one room, so he can go anywhere, and patch up holes in defense), Operator (well, sometimes i need to do this). Oh, and a +science passive. About Pfiler skill: i don't think we need to nerf it even more (or balance it in "Blizzard"s way). Maybe at least one another character should have it naturally?

Opbot:

Good operator (he get ths ability pretty early), decent speed. He have a self-buff for battles, but i rarely use him for this. For me, he is too fragile to stop the monsters wave. "Peramedic" - if only it works on whole floor smiley: alder

Sara:

She can run. And she is running, like no one else. First skill makes her even better for scouting on long distances, second one greatly increase her survivability. Best for carring crystal to the exit, because with crystal she runs like other heroes without it.

Gork:

Tank + DD (Damage Dealer). Not capable for anyrthing another, but i never thought about using him for scouting or operating module. Two self-buffs, second (aggro, +def) is especially important. Also agree, that Soylent Green needs to be buffed (a little bit smiley: wink )

Hikensha and Troe:

For me, they are almost the same, both are good. But Hikensha is better at passives (+science, operate), Troe is better at battle (active skills).

Deena:

Low-tier character in my list smiley: frown Maybe on early stages heling (in room where she is presented) is decent, lately it doesnt make any sence. Once again, if only it works on whole floor.

Golgy:

Interesting character. Two items compensate the absence of weapon slot. Good at scouting, first skill is great for room, where you need to stop a lot of monsters waves.

Skroig:

My second (and last) low-tier character. He is good at fighting.... only on first stages. And nothing else. Glasscannon (no armour slot) with taunt ability - what? For what reasons? Even without aggroing everyone in room, he diest too fast. He needs to be reworked.

Rakya:

How to transform a usual room with minor modules into real stopping power, which also generates a lot of resourses? Just call Rakya smiley: cool Needless to say, one of the best combination of active and passive skills. Just be careful, using her second skill, if you have someone on low hp.

Ken:

I think, he needs an ability, like "Ardent fire" lol overall, decent character.

Jorely:

Decent fighter, with self-buff as first skill (so she can quickly run across dungeon, if monsters breaches the defence line), and mass +def ability. Also, i think we need an additional icons in GUI, which shows the currently "active" passive skills (+def per killed monster).

Mormish:

Decent fighter, good operator. First skill is... questionable. It is good, if you can activate it in room with lot of monsters Well, if only Mormish can survive that and you have anought DPS to kill them all. Second skill makes him a lot more useful, as a character, who stands far away from battle zone.

Elise:

One man army. No armour slot, but she has pretty high base defence. Two items slot - good customisation. Defence-up and "Wipe them all" skills. She can handle almost everything, if you have enought Science to replenish skills.

Nanor:

Maybe not so good fighter (1.5 attack speed), but has good amount of HP and good skills. Mass +attack buff and damage to every monster in dungeon. That really cool stuff. Unique passive (reducing healing cost) - maybe it should say "-1 food to heal" instead of "-10%"?

Josh:

He always stay far away from battle field, but still insanely helpfull. Passive for +wit for everyone on floor, +dmg for other characters.

Mizi:

Cannot say a anything about her for now smiley: frown I just cannot find a suitable place for her in team.

Kreyang:

Nice first skill (both effects and visuals), hope no one will complain that such interesting hero is "behind a paywall" smiley: surprise
0Send private message
10 years ago
Oct 1, 2014, 2:00:05 PM
Hello,

You were more than 140 to complete the survey, thanks a lot!

Here are the results of the poll:

As I said, don't hesitate to give your opinion about the heroes in this topic smiley: approval
0Send private message
10 years ago
Oct 1, 2014, 4:22:51 PM
The blue column is especially interesting.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Oct 22, 2014, 10:28:53 AM
Any chance of Mizi getting a third slot? An additional utility would go a long way in getting her up to par.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 18, 2015, 3:32:25 PM
myrec wrote:
Will there be any balance changes out of this ?

There were. You dug up a post from pre-release. All heroes have been reworked to a larger or smaller degree since. Skroig is the best example who's Red Plume skill changed completely.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 18, 2015, 10:44:52 PM
myrec wrote:
Sorry for necromancy. It was sticky and nice looking graphs.

I noticed its sticky nature after I replied. It still is interesting to see how heroes evolved.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 3, 2015, 4:18:19 AM
Wait, people get turned away by Skroig and Ken? They're high up as my two favorites. Sure Skroig has low HP, but combined with just 1 other hero, he can turn the tides of fights almost instantly. Both his abilities specialize in doing damage. Red Plume is arguably one of the best abilities in the game. And I've always seen Ken as just a better version of Gork. More speed, very high health and damage, and much better passive abilities. Sado-Selfish helps him be the solo-fighter he was meant to be. He's made to handle hordes of enemies alone. I always love doing Armory runs with Ken, Skroig, Josh and Hikensha. I like the way their 4 unique colors and designs blend, as well as the fact I have one of every weapon user. I feel like they make a perfect team that covers almost every aspect of survival in this game. Even if I happen to get all four of them using the regular pod that doesn't give any bonuses, they still all work well together and alone.

Surprised people don't like Skroig most of all.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment