logo amplifiers simplified

Spaceship Creation Contest Part 2

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 4:30:56 PM

Hello everyone!

Here we go for the vote of the Spaceship Creation Contest part 2! smiley: smile

Part 2 – Packaging

Based on the spaceship of sarin555, we will organize 2 different votes at the same time:

• Text: The name and the “Note from sales brochure”
  • Art: A visual representation

Vote 2a – Text

Choose the winner of The Name and Lore:

VOTE HERE

VOTE HERE

Vote 2b – Visual

Choose the winner of The Art:

VOTE HERE

VOTE HERE

Prize

Winners of vote 2a and 2b will:

• Get their names in the game credits
  • Win a cool Dungeon of the Endless T-shirt and buttons
  • Three Steam copies of the Dungeon of the Endless - Founder Pack: so you can play with your friends once the multiplayer is released!

Best of luck to all or you!

smiley: amplitude
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jul 26, 2014, 10:45:22 AM
Oh, i shouldn't do this smiley: sadblue

First: all of my proposals should be split in two: Pod name and Note from sales brochure to the Text Vote, and everything else to the Visual vote;

Second: I hope this wouldn’t cause nausea or something else to anyone;

Third: I’m really bad at drawing. Sorry, but I cannot do anything with it;

Fourth: I’m not so sure is it good, to divide second part of creation contest in two different votes. As winners could be not so compatible;

Fifth: i'm really sorry, that my arts becomes so obnoxiously huge lately

№1

Pod name: Major Bio-organic pod

Note from sales brochure: This pod is an intellectual living creature, so take care of her, like one of your teammates. Remember, she likes red vine, boiled shrimp with sauce, classic music and kitten photos. (It is under 160 characters, if we count without spaces)

Description and basis: If we compare the “Bio-oraganic transference” module with headcrab, then this pod will be equivalent to Gonarch. Rarely they can achieve this type of form. But this gives them new abilities: the nervous system becomes similar to humanoid creatures (so they can speak and thinking), alimentary system still can recombine any organic waste into eatable material, and their circulatory system can power up any machine (erythrocytes contains huge amount of dust). The rapid growth of blood vessels and fast regeneration achieved by high concentration of stem-like cells.

Dungeonopedia: A big creature that can grow up from a single cocoon (more known as “Bio-oraganic transference” module). They are pretty friendly and always glad to offer any help, despite their strange and fearful appearance. If you ask, they can power up anything, which depends on electricity, with their blood. But if you want to power off this thing after that, it may require a surgery, to remove an enormous amount of blood vessels. Removing a heart wouldn’t cause an instant death, but they need a time, until they can regenerate a new one.

Visual: CONCEPT

How it works: when you power up a room, the blood vessels automatically sprout in it and connects to every node.

Specific modules: CONCEPT

ErythRose: attack mobs and generate food

LymphLily:

№2

Pod name: Experimental Bio-AI pod

Note from sales brochure: If you find the creator of this pod – report to police immediately. We're looking for him for over 3 years.

Description and basis: Now I’ve created pod, designed around nervous system. I hope it fits the initial rules and can participate in competition. At first glance, it didn’t look like a living biological creature. But he doesn’t have any electronics. Most things that you can see are actually nerves, which connect to central brain (in crystal).

Dungeonopedia: This is a result of first successful operation, to combine the human mind and dust-powered crystal. Biology, cybernetics, physics receives a huge advantage after this experiment, as well as its creator receives a 10-year jail sentence. The brain inside the crystal still contains the mind (personality) of his previous “owner” and gets huge enhancements from crystal: rapid growths of nervous cells, ability to conduct electricity (now up to 1000 V). For the best usage of his new abilities, the cybernetic group decides to make a robotic pod, in which all electronics is swapped with neuron cells. So, you cannot actually say, that this is robot. Now this is more a living creature.

Visual: CONCEPT

How it works: similar to Major Bio-organic pod

Specific modules: ok, now for more biological stuff

CONCEPT

Shivann cells

A cell, designed to protect neurons. Now it can do this work even better. (Offencive + food generator)

Limb-o-system

A group of cells, which are linked to each other so tightly, that makes it look like a snake. (Support + industry generator)

HyperThalamus

Overgrown optic nerve, and now eye is just one of its parts. (Debuff + science generator)

№3

Pod name: Genetic greenhouse pod

Note from sales brochure: If watermelon tells you, that "GMO is good", you better agree with him. At least he is more trustable than potato.

Dungeonopedia: This was one of hi-end botanical laboratory. It contained almost everything: equipments for gene transfer and modification, plants DNA bank, fertilizers for incredibly fast plant growth. It was, until one humorist transfer his own DNA to plant and go away. lately, when everyone was asleep, the result plant continue his experiment and transfer human DNA to almost every herb in laboratory and the room itself now becomes a huge plant-like organism. On next day in the morning, the crowd of intellectual plants gathered in the captains cabin, chanting :"Double the fertilizers portions or riot!". The captain cannot do anything but to allow them, to live on ship like any other team members.

Visual: the watermelon in center is a crystal (he filled with Dust)

How it works: rooms are covered in climbers

Specific modules:

Boxing Pear: Hangs like a pear, stomach can't bear. Or you can die trying. (offencive + industry generator)

Mandragora Chili: Danger! We have a really hot chick on board. (Support + food generator)

Ravenous Apples: Fact: You can find a few thousands police reports from last year about kids being harrased by apples. (Offencive + food generator)

Soy-Lent: Never(!) try to feed him with sausages or patty from your hamburger. He really doesn't like cannibalism. (Offencive + science generator)

White Mushroom Knight: One deep breath, and you already far far away, leading the galactic army agains the prime evil..... (Debuff + food generator)
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
10 years ago
Jul 24, 2014, 10:00:19 AM
TEXT ENTRIES:

Living Tree pod: Created using the nut of a giant dust-infused tree as its core, this pod will send roots in the systems surrounding it when fed dust. Its modules are fragile.

VISUAL ENTRIES:

Living Tree pod:

Its seed/core:

Looks like a nut. The crystal part inside the shell changes color.

The room alone, without the pod's outer walls showing:

[LIST=1]
  • Outer plating, held by rivets to the actual walls.
  • Pod's walls, made of petrified-seeming wood.
  • Corner trees, made of petrified wood with dust crystals studded in the bark. The crystals glow softly.
  • Core repository, looking like a stump made of petrified wood.
  • Place where the pod will stand.
  • Lamps, clearly added later. Standard issue, strongest source of light in the room.
  • Standard door, other doors can appear in the 3 other walls when in other levels.
  • Flooring made of shiny stones in an hexagonal pattern.

• [/LIST]
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 24, 2014, 12:48:38 PM
    Suggestion #1

Text

Womb Pod - "Mothership will protect you all the way, my little children..."

Visual

Pinkish, fleshy look, like the curves of a woman's body, in a beautiful, natural, but not sexualized way. Giant woman face grafted on wall which makes angry faces when in combat and smiles when there are heroes in room. Eyes follows heroes.

Suggestion #2
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 24, 2014, 2:34:00 PM
    sarin555 wrote:
    Tyranid and Zerg

Oh, thats actually good, at least for me. As i'm working on pod, that looks like a huge bug/zerg/something else (part of his background), which blood vessels sprout in powered rooms like a creep tumor .

But i'm literally worse than awful at drawing pictures smiley: sadblue hope to make it, at least, decent enough

Also. This part of pod description: "grows in powered rooms, which produces food at each turn and hurt the mobs".

Does this mean, that when we power up any room, we automatically creates some "modules" on small/big nodes, which can attack and generate food simultaneously?
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 24, 2014, 2:44:13 PM
    Text:

Proliferation Pod "don´t touch it! - it might be hungry"

Visual:

purple and green slime covering the walls (with some bubbles and tentacles).
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 25, 2014, 1:55:08 AM
    Spore Pod: "You can't spell 'fungus' without the 'fun'. Our Spore Pod is as entertaining as it is nutritious, and kids will delight as colorful carpets of edible fungus grow before their eyes!"
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 25, 2014, 7:10:56 PM
    Suggestion #1

Ships name: Brood Pod

Note from sales brochure:

Latches onto whatever it crashes into and feeds off the surrounding nutrients, while replicating and expanding to assist in your survivability. Just add Dust! - exactly 160 char.

Pods visual Description: An orb shaped pod with tentacle-like roots and a greenish hue that is semi-translucent and pulsates with life. Has organic stains of varying sizes strewn around it as crash debris for the first floor. The pod's door is a part of the pod itself in the form of a pair of jaws instead of a metal door like a conventional ship. The core will actually be an organic sphere that pulsates into an egg/oval shape then back into a sphere as it rotates, it's essentially the pods brain and can sustain itself once removed from it's body to assist the hero throughout his/her journey through the dungeon. The pods wall structure, floor, and cores stand are skeletal in appearance, but are a combination of organics and technology that will give the impression of being inside a living organism. Fog oozes out of the vents on each side of the ships exit, and the ambient lighting in the room will have slow, fading yellow tint to it.

Original rough sketch of pod.

The pod.

A color version, keep in mind the pilots seat and floor/wall textures will be incorporated into the final design, but due to time constraints I was unable to finish adding them. Hopefully the pods description is enough to leave to the imagination.

Here are some original sketches of the cores stand in 2 flavors depending on which would be more suitable for the devs.

Core stand B.

The stand will have a greyish bone color along with the rest of the pods interior.

----------------------------------------------

Suggestion #2

Ships name: Photos Pod

Note from sales brochure:

"Why'd you go and crash the Photos Pod, Johnny! These things are valuable, it's not like they grow on trees!" "But they do! They do grow on trees!"
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 25, 2014, 8:56:12 PM
    Text

Swarm Pod

"The pod seems to be alive and anxious to be unleashed"

Visual Entry

The Pod is made out of Metal and Plants, the plants seem to be desperately trying to get outof the pod, but at the same time, they are alive due to the heat and light that the pod provides,similar to a green house with it´s own light system.

This light system is alive and it has it´s own teleportation system, once the crystal leaves it´splace, it will try to follow it.
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 23, 2014, 4:37:09 PM

smiley: warning Contest part 2 is closed!

See the results and vote in the Dev Blog: http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/content.php?459-DotE-Progress-Report-G2G-vote

We are so impressed! We got more than 150 proposals which is totally insane! We also mention the quality of your ideas. Keep up the good work. smiley: smile

The winner of the G2G vote: Bio-ship by sarin555

Congratulations to sarin555 who will:

• Get his names in the game credits
    • Get three Steam copies of the Dungeon of the Endless - Founder Pack!

And you can still win the same prizes: we need now to add some flavour with description and visual smiley: smile

Part 2 – Packaging

Based on the spaceship of sarin555, we will organize 2 different votes at the same time:

• Text: The name and the “Note from sales brochure”
    • Art: A visual representation

You may submit up to three entries for each vote. Also make sure you keep all your entries in one post! In order to keep the coherence with the other ships in game, please follow the rules below.

Vote 2a – Text

Your proposal must be constituted of:

• A name which finishes by “Pod” (up to 25 characters)
    • A “note from sales brochure” (up to 160 characters): a sentence displays above the gameplay description to add some mood about the spaceship. Here the notes currently in the game for inspiration:

• Escape Pod: “The pod is guaranteed to survive any crash; we hope its occupants do as well.”
      • Armory Pod: “Whether you're liberating, policing, enforcing, or just having fun, the Armory Pod is what you need to impose your brand of freedom.”
      • Infirmary Pod: “Dedicated to your pharmaceutical well-being.”
      • Drill Pod: “Maybe you had a life before. Now, you have a dungeon!”

(Optional) You may also add a longer text to give more details about the ship background. This description will not be part of the vote or will not be included in the game but could be added in the wiki for example.

NB: don’t forget, your proposals need to be linked to the Bio-ship of sarin555!

Vote 2b – Visual

The idea is to describe a visual concept for the spaceship. The proposal may be constituted of:

• Schema
    • 3D view
    • Concept Art
    • Minecraft screenshot?!

To keep a visual coherence in the game, our pixel Artist Simon will then draw the final sprite, based on the content provided by the winner.

The Bio-ship is a very special ship. It is alive! You decide how you want to express that. It has also a second particularity: the start room, a square section of the spaceship, will be kept from one floor to another. A simple scheme to explain that:

Advice

Keep that in mind when you imagine the spaceship: the “core” needs to be autonomous… Also, we have some technical limitations in our level design: the spaceship will not be enormous and the start room must have a usual size.

Please note however that Amplitude reserves the right to modify the 3 proposals and will work with the winner to finalize the design and adapt it to development constraints.

Deadline

We will be closing the thread on August 4th, at midday (Paris time!).

We will select 3 of your proposals then organize a GAMES2GETHER vote! You may submit several entries but are limited to three! Also make sure you keep all your entries in one post!

Prize

Winners of vote 2a and 2b will:

• Get their names in the game credits
    • Three Steam copies of the Dungeon of the Endless - Founder Pack: so you can play with your friends once the multiplayer is released!

Best of luck to all or you!

smiley: amplitude
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 26, 2014, 4:33:42 PM
    DotBeta wrote:
    I can totally see some Brood Lord inspiration in that ship pic smiley: wink. Also you kinda made as spin off my pods name and put Major in front of it lol, I don't care I just kinda think it's funny. I'm gonna be updating mine shortly with pics.

Well, i definetly should put "work in progress" in a Pod name section smiley: embarassement naming this pod was one of the hardest steps. And (for now) i choose the easiest way, name it after a Bio module (according to his lore). So, if any interesting idea visit my head, i'll change the name.
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 26, 2014, 5:40:18 PM
    Lynx_gnt wrote:
    Well, i definetly should put "work in progress" in a Pod name section smiley: embarassement naming this pod was one of the hardest steps. And (for now) i choose the easiest way, name it after a Bio module (according to his lore). So, if any interesting idea visit my head, i'll change the name.

I really don't mind the name I shouldn't have even mentioned it, you're right it is very hard to think up ship names I'm still trying to think of a name for my second ship concept.
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 28, 2014, 9:20:22 AM
    Entry 1

Germination Pod – “A self-sufficient veggie replicator that’s the envy of all vegans everywhere”

Large green roots growing out and over the edge of the ship. Possibly have flowers or other flora around as well. Have a table off to the side with a pot of tea on it and maybe food of some sort. Make the surroundings look cozy as if it’s a kitchen-like setting. Think the dining area on the Firefly Serenity from that amazing TV series, but with living plants everywhere of course.

Also acceptable names that also get the point across, please add more if you think of some everyone, I think my brochure note takes the cake and this ships actual title could be just about anything plant related:

Plant Pod

Seedling Pod

Veggie Pod

Life Pod

Hippie Pod

Co-Op Pod

Farmer's Pod

Organic Pod

Etc. Etc.

If these other suggestions were to disqualify me, then please disregard them as entries or ideas and stick with my favorite option Germination Pod.

*NEW* Also I had some free time today so I put together a concept in photoshop.

Entry 2

Sentient Pod – “Something’s wrong! Our ship… it’s… breathing?”

Purple tentacles, slim, eyes, the works, make it look like the ship has become a creature of some sort. If you could make it look like it was breathing in some way that’d also be really great.

I just though this was a better name for it. I didn't see this used in the entries I read. This will stay true to the creators vision, with a fun catchy line.
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 28, 2014, 6:56:05 PM
    Disclaimer: please forgive the terrible quality of these images. I am out of town without access to a scanner. Had to take pictures with my phone smiley: frown

Submission 1

Tentacles are always great to show something big and scary in space. At least ever since someone wrote about a place named R'lyeh... The idea of bioorganic ships, buildings or anything else always scared me, so much more in the case of things we'd enter, so tentacles seemed a good match. Did some research on shrimps and octopi, stared at dozens of pictures, drew this and then realized: people will see it as a Tyranid Hive Fleet rip off :/ Meh smiley: smile

At least it should fit Zigeye's Entry 2.

The idea is that half the room would be the creatures interior, the other half would be the dungeon room it breached (littered with debris from the walls and covered in ink and biostuff spat out by the creature) . The creature expels ink (or something similar), which spreads through powered rooms. As the heroes move the power source (something nice and organic), the creature then uses its tentacles to pull itself along the dungeon, aided by the slipperiness of the ink covered floor and walls.

Tentacles on the walls may have to be arranged in a way that they appear to be going up towards the floor and down the other side of the wall, to leave room for more doors. Or they could be made to look as if low on the floor for monsters and heroes to step over.

Submission 2

Wanted to do some plant sketches but may redo them. Damn thorns are a pain to draw :P

It should work with most plant pods, but as I was sketching this I came up with:

The Briar Pod.

They say the pod keeps growing for as long as their creator is asleep - and with cryo technology that could be a long time.

The vines/thorns have completely overgrown the starting room and will sprout from any powered room, bursting through the floor and out of the walls.

The crystal sits on a thorn pedestal. It should have an organic feel; a glowing, beating heart of the briar patch.

On the walls of the main room, the thorns would need to be arranged in ways so the patches in the centre of each wall could be removed if the floor requires doors to be there.

0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 28, 2014, 11:03:54 PM
    Wow that's a neat ship design the overhead pic definitely looks interesting, I wouldn't worry about having to take pics I don't have a scanner either and also took pics of my drawings with my phone.

I've got my work cut out for me. I finally found my drawing tools that I stuffed in a drawer months ago so hopefully I'll have some legit sketches up soon.
    0Send private message
    10 years ago
    Jul 29, 2014, 5:02:37 AM
    Thanks! I'd say you are the better photographer, your images look less lousy-phone-photo like smiley: smile

Off to work. Going to try and do some sketches for a plant ship while on the construction site.
    0Send private message
    Comment