Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[G2G] Creation Contest - Monster Edition [Part 2: The Art]

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Dec 1, 2014, 9:02:45 PM
My Design for a Monster

Name: Vultu (from latin "face" resemblence to shape and floating "eyes" when dust poses artifact)

Visual Concept ("face" can vary depends on picked artifact):

Bigger Picture:

http://www.dropmocks.com/iHryXt

Background / Lore description:

Ancient dungeon vents are full of Dust. Sometimes random spark caused by external factors wake wind turbine (when Vultu appear you can hear sound of vents working). Vast amount of Dust is blown into the room together with an ancient air. Among immense technological garbage left by engineer, dungeons hold antique mysteries such as VULTU. When covered in DUST in right amount, artifacts come to life. No one knows what they are truly capable of, yet one thing is sure, they feel uncomfortable in new environment...

The anomaly is unstable due to the lack of adaptation skills. Prevailing conditions seems hostile, they’re not able and/or willing to fulfill their original tasks. Wheter it’s just a coincidence, or act of strange, conscious self defense, VULTU tends to self destruct after sensing PLAYER for a longer while. When forced to a face-to-face encounter, VULTU acts hostile and attack PLAYER while also strengthening other monsters defences.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 27, 2014, 5:09:00 PM
Callil wrote:

Just before posting this, I watched de previous posts and I figured that it looks a bit like the first post. I'm sorry about this, it's pure coincidence...

I forgive you; I am awesome like that smiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 27, 2014, 7:27:59 PM
Ackter wrote:
Sounds like a reproduction thing. Destroys itself once it reaches maturity in order to spread its genetic material around, waiting for it to merge with other imploders to produce their offspring. Could even be parasitical, with the genetic material infecting other lifeforms and morphing them into young imploders.

Oh yeah for sure, there's plenty of possible scenarios. I just wanted to write the info in character, as if Josh was talking about them or something. O0o0o0oo mysterious, haha smiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 27, 2014, 7:29:00 PM
melkathi wrote:
I forgive you; I am awesome like that smiley: wink

lol thanks ! I feel better now :P
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58:23 AM

My three suggestions in order, I, II, III:

I.

name: Dustvine

visual * see above

lore/background: These vines are partly sentient from absorbing dust over the years. they grow by dragging out minerals from the ground, and strangling weak monsters for fluid. while the roots are immobile the plant gladly drags itself across the floor in the room it grows in. The metallic sheen of it's body is no mere illusion it is in fact quite hard, it's weight though makes it impractical to attack using it's body, thus it has developed the ability to send out small energy charges from it's dust filled flowers.

it's energies are flighty though, and any active current is a risk to it's existence. When a door opens and the magnetic fields of the power source begin leaking through this plants tries it's best to escape using any means necessary. sadly this usually end with it ripping out its' own roots - killing itself and causing the collected dust to disperse into the ground.

II.

name: Chee Larvae

visual * see above

lore/background: Some mysterious species native to this planet(?) has been laying its' eggs in these caverns. The larvae are mostly useless as predators and patiently waits for their grown relatives to feed them energy. they east dust. only dust. And frankly... they have been here for so long it's a bit of a miracle they're still alive. Starving they entered a sleep like condition inside a cocoon of their own making - but as they feel the powerful energy of something (possibly a grown member of their species) they awake and call out in the only way they can, hoping to finally get a meal.

They send out waves of energy (basically the only thing keeping them alive) and waits for the energy to come. if anything else gets close they'll spit acid at whatever it might be, their though skin - still with the hardened cocoon shell in many places helps keeping them somewhat safe from physical attacks. but these are in practice babes waiting for a feeding. and if it doesn't come they'll starve - and the last of their energy dispersing into the air...

III.

name: Glimmer

visual * see above

lore/background: These creatures are something akin to Amoebae, shapeless, able to keep their foodstuffs inside their bodies in temporary pockets. they live their lives filling up cracks in the world surrounding them. and the dust they absorb through their long lives sometimes makes it glimmer in those dark cracks of a room.

yet they have needs just like all other beings - and one of them is to breath. occasionally they enter large caverns to exchange their air-supply - releasing noxious fumes in return - only to crawl back into the walls when they are done. shifting the air in a nearby room is a good way to lure them out, say by opening a door.

their not-really-intelligence is what makes them respond to attacks only by retreating, no part of their body is really more important than any other part - even if it looks that way at times - but they are not immune to injury. they just... have a lot of mass to absorb hits. just... remember that those fumes are toxic. you could get hurt.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 28, 2014, 9:19:02 AM
This will be a tough vote once more smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 29, 2014, 2:21:50 AM
Name: F.A.D.E. (Flipped Awake Data Envoy)

Visual concept: A large solid white teleportation structure with a white cylindrical data receptacle at the middle and an antenna at the top that emits a blue light beam with blue particles flowing upwards. The data receptacle fades into transparency as time passes. When the cylinder is totally transparent, the teleportation structure deconstructs itself, tearing itself apart into tiny particles that fall into the ground to soon disappear.

Lore: The Endless have also used these deep dungeons to guard advanced technological secrets. These formerly dormant F.A.D.E. comes from distributed dust that maintain cryptographed data and can't be seen when scattered in the ground.

Once one of them are disturbed by intruders, they awake the others and they go to a safer location to unite themselves and form a large teleportation structure, with a data receptacle in the middle.

As the teleportation of the data receptacle progresses, the receptacle gradually turns transparent, until the teleportation is finished with it totally invisible. The teleporation structure then finally deconstructs itself, returning to its discreet, non visible presence again.

Meanwhile, the data receptacle materializes itself into Auriga's extra-orbital space and can finally engage its propulsion engines, serenely cruising towards an unknown, previously programmed location. What revelations these receptacles are carrying? To where they're being moved? That's another story...

0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 30, 2014, 8:07:14 PM
Here are my proposals ! smiley: smile :

Name : Dust Snake

Visual concept : It is a snake made of dust smiley: smile

Background / Lore description : No one these days really understands how it happens (probably the Endless were having clues...), but, from time to time, the energy stuck in a single room becomes too powerfull and give birth to a "nearly conscious" creature. First a single head of Dust appears and starts roaming. It progressively collects all the dust in the room, becoming longer and longer, keeping moving in kind of circles. If nothing is done, it finally cannot manage to keep moving without touching itself, which is creating an energy shock totally destroying the creature and all the dust it is made of.

Will one heroe be able to stop him before that and so be able to collect the Dust once its body was made of ?

Name : M.A.D. Vacuum Cleaner Droid. M.A.D. stands for Malfunctional And Dangerous

Visual concept : Looks basically like an old style inspired vacuum cleaner (70's style) but reworked as a droid.

Have an orange flashing beacon on its head, a computer that once was used to give it instructions (now clearly on blue screen smiley: stickouttongue) and a trap once used to empty it.

Background / Lore description : These Automatic Droids were used in order to clean automatically the Success Ship.

This one survived the crash as it was at the very moment the drama happened cleaning an escape pod.

Since then, it has been vacuuming and vacuuming. Then, not being able to find its recharge base it crashed and stopped. The electrical shock of the opening of a door have reactivated it the wrong way : it is overheating and will soon explode. If one of the heroes manage to get to it and "stop" it, it may be able to get the dust the MAD Vacuum Cleaner collected.

Name : Dust Stalker

Visual concept : It is like an human but inspiring a mix of fear, discomfort and pity. It wears and old gaz mask and carry a big bag in his back. (sorry Steph'nie, not so cute this one :redfacesmiley: smile

Background / Lore description : Some people have decided to collect Dust and Precious Endless Artefacts for a living. Exposed to several toxic substances, powerfull artefacts and unspeakable creatures, this risky life is changing them. Many mutates, most of them cannot breathe normally and have to wear a mask permanently, all of them die young.

In our case, one of them is detected in one of the room, collecting Dust. Run heroe, run ! in case you arrive in time, you may kill her/him (anyway, as said, they die young) and steal the Dust she/he already stole. If you are too slow, she/he will escape and vanish to continue its thug life.

NB : Deena may have a bonus while attacking as she/he wears a mask smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 1, 2014, 1:14:41 AM

Name: Gaze Walker

Visual Concept/Lore: The Gaze Walker teleports between rooms because of its very timid and curious nature. Its defense comes from the tough rubber-like flesh which is semi transparent. Instead of bone, it has cartilage and can stretch to attack from a distance. When moving, the gaze walker resembles a sloth and very little is known about the Gaze Walker.

Name: Scrap

Visual Concept/Lore: Scrap is a lone scavenger and is always sneaking around from room to room searching for Dust to horde in his red sack. He has a robotic arm with a gun, a robotic peg-leg and an optic eye he salvaged off of junk robots to replace his lost/broken limbs. Though his peg-leg makes him slow, he more than makes up with it in trickery.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 1, 2014, 12:37:57 PM
DUST CLOAKER

Lore: Once a mammal of the surface exposed to large quantities of dust within the dungeons of Auriga, the Dust Cloaker now lurks in dark places far beneath the surface. It's thick dust hide provides it with ample defense, however the large quantities of dust make the creature slower. The Cloaker usually lies still, watching and listening for smaller prey, It is easily frightened and when exposed for a long period of time It will vanish into thin air leaving only small traces of dust particles.

Concept: The concept behind the Dust Cloaker was to create a creature which was different (visually) from the already existing creatures within the dungeon. I believe the mechanic of the "dust anomaly" could be very fun and interesting within the game. The Dust Cloaker would be a creature which players would easily recognize and feel a little bit of remorse from killing (making it more memorable).

ENDLESS GUARDIAN

Lore: The ancient guardians of the Endless were once immense beings of stone held together with forgotten dust technologies. Now these ancient beings are sentinels of a long dark past, reduced to rubble barely held together by the ancient crystal buried in its chest. The dust crystal serves as the guardians heart, but after so many years the crystals have become unstable and are highly prone to combustion at any moment. The crumbling Endless Guardians still wander the dark halls today, searching for its masters or maybe it's long lost purpose?

Design: The concept behind the Endless Guardians was simply to bring more of the mysterious Endless technologies into the game. I wanted the design to be very iconic of the Endless but at the same time look like it would fit into the setting of the game. I also tried to accurately reflect the "dust anomaly" statistical values with the overall design. The guardian has high hit points and defense because of its size, build and stone skin. However this makes it slow moving and slow hitting. It has a high attack range due to its arm size but the guardian is overall unstable and has a hard time focusing its attacks.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 1, 2014, 2:34:46 PM
There are some really awesome suggestions here. and recently admitted gaze walker .... I love the eyes. good visuals.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 27, 2014, 4:58:50 PM
1nfinitezer0 wrote:

Background: Why the imploder lives only to destroy itself makes it difficult to understand how it could've evolved.

Sounds like a reproduction thing. Destroys itself once it reaches maturity in order to spread its genetic material around, waiting for it to merge with other imploders to produce their offspring. Could even be parasitical, with the genetic material infecting other lifeforms and morphing them into young imploders.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 1, 2014, 9:59:53 PM
Rancor wrote:
There are some really awesome suggestions here. and recently admitted gaze walker .... I love the eyes. good visuals.

thank you very much!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 1, 2014, 10:48:15 PM
Here's my design:

Name: Shard of Memory/Memory of the Endless

Lore:

"The search for immortality is one that even the Endless failed to find answers to. But it didn't stop many races to have their own attempts. Many belived that the key to immortality resided within the Dust. Countless tried. Countless failed. From these failures, one thing arose from the ashes. The will of many scientists, heroes and Lords was strong enough to exceed their mortal bodies. Their very essence, powered by Dust, gave life to what is now called the "Shard of Memory". Inside the Shard, resides a mysterious force, strong enough to exist, but too weak to be cosidered sentient. The Shard is a small, airborne crystal structure, that opens and closes revealing an amorphous shape on the inside. It projects a hologram of the body of those who attempted to archive eternal life, never really truly granting their wish. Just a empty shell, not alive, nor dead.

I guess they found eternal "life" after all. Just not the way they wanted."

I also thought that the Amorphous form inside the openning and closing cyrstal could look like a small Worm-whole, looking like it always "sucking" what is surrounding it.

---------------

I used some races from Endless Legend to make the Dust Holograms!(from left to right: Vaulter, Wild Walker and Drakken) I, personally, love when the games mention one another.

---------------

Sorry if there are any grammatical mistakes. Just let me know and I will correct them.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 2, 2014, 8:43:17 AM
They should add a rule forbidding people from being talented and having good ideas and proper presentation :P
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 2, 2014, 10:51:00 AM
5 more hours before Saylawl locks us out of the thread.

If you have more ideas, want to update existing ideas, delete your ideas to give me a better chance (can't blame a guy for trying), now is the time smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 2, 2014, 11:53:38 AM
Mate, I liked your ideias. And I think you're going to the vote phase ^^.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 2, 2014, 12:42:34 PM
Thanks smiley: smile It would be awesome but it is a very creative community so competition is always tough smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Dec 2, 2014, 2:53:46 PM

Short winged Necro- Firefly:

The Short Winged Necro-Firefly looks very simmillar like an ordinary Necrodrone but has the ability to lighten the warfield of his fellow warmates. Therefore no shadow will every hide their prey.

Unfortunately, this extraordinary Warsupporter still has not finished in his genesis and falls prey itself to the natural selection. Not just his wings aren't yet functional, but also some crucial failures in his respiration leads to its end very soon.

However, its luminating abilities are fully functional and could share its power to evryone who is able to extract it from its still living body (or very short after the kill).

The Tormented Hero of the Necrophage:

Evil experiments to fight against those hordes of Necrophages have been conducted in these laboratories. Various ways to extinguish even the strongest of them. As such an experiment an unfortunate hero got cought by the scientists and tortured with electricity over and over again, all for the greater Knowledge, of course....

One day they tried an all in experiment, whereby they put all the available current they could afford into this pitty creature. As a result not a single inch was left. Celebrating their succes, the scientists didnt notice the small arc which was outgoing the bug. these little power smithereens remained for very long in the electric cabels of the facilities bearing all the crudge and hatred against all living. with each day their anger as well as their size has risen. and now that new life came to these forgotten halls, they see their possibility for revenge. From their hidden place within the cables they watch the intruders and their attempt to escape the laboratories. And when they see any possibility they strike with an EMP to let his comrades punish these foolish intruders.

But sometimes there is it, they miscalculate their own power and so the emp strikes backwards right at them and thus throwing them out of their cable right into a room. barely able to move, once outside their cables, they hardly try to go back into their very own savezone to lay waste uppon theire enemys again.

Dustytr the flying Pufferfish:

Dustytr is a tiny and very fast, mobile and anxious flying pufferfish, who always hides it self in dark rooms. They spezialized in eating dust for a living and got therefore the ability to fly. theire little finnes grew feathers and anables them quick maneuvering in the air.

they love to eat dust that much, they even forgett about their savety and rushes right to theire delicious meal.

However, with each dust eaten, their belly grow in size. and as soon as they have eaten a certain ammount, theire little finnes arent able to carry their body anymore and render them unmobile till the dust has digested.

"Some people saw these little, fast and anxious cretures, but only labeled them as fairies calling them Dusty"

So thats it, have fun all

And sorry for my grammar smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 25, 2014, 11:49:30 AM
Reading comprehension smiley: smile It fails me occasionally smiley: smile Thanks.

edit:

Ooooh! Awesome idea that is a surefire win:

The monster is an alien abduction ray: it is in the process of abducting the merchant's pug and if the players destroy it (the ray) the pug hands them dust as a reward!

That idea is bound to have Stephn'ie-support smiley: smile

edit 2:

why oh why are we limited to three ideas? My nemesis: the idea cap in G2G competitions.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 24, 2014, 2:09:55 PM
First!

Idea Number 1:

(sorry Steph'nie, non-cute :rollsweatsmiley: smile

Name: Chimera Keeper Strain Alpha

Lore: While the exact nature of the experiments resulting in the Keeper remain a mystery, early specimen seem to were unable to contain the dust pumped into their body. If this was due to the level of purity or an anomaly in the dust or whether it had to do with the physical properties of the specimen themselves is unknown. Regardless, the result always was the same: rapid uncontrollable growth ending in the hapless creatures torn apart from the inside in an explosion of light. Remaining specimen were placed in cryo sleep. Now that the crash has reactivated the labs, these poor creatures are woken up violently to certain death.

Thoughts: Two basic ideas behind this proposal: stay within existing lore (or what we can guess thereof) and allow the players to be rewarded for a choice that can be morally justified. The basic question was "Why will a creature provide certain dust loot? Why will it not move? Why will it be gone after a while?" The failed experiment works for all these questions and allows players to be rewarded for putting an end to unimaginable suffering instead of rewarding them for killing some critter minding its own business smiley: smile

Gif versions of proposal:

http://i.imgur.com/9yCJg3x.gif

http://i.imgur.com/lBhatK3.gif

Idea 2

Name: Shattered Lord

Lore: A Broken Lord who's dust enhanced armour is shattered beyond repair. Leaking dust and life force, it is only a matter of moments before the spirit finally leaves this mortal coil. But would it not be ironic if, after feeding on so many lives, the spirit would be denied release and used to power the crystal?

Now with a sketch!

The Broken Lord has a large chunk of his armour shattered - one whole arm is gone, from gauntlet to pauldron. Part of the helmet is gone, the closest thing a Broken Lord will ever be to facial scarring or being "one-eyed". Life force/dust is leaking out of the shattered parts.

As the heroes enter, he extends his good arm in an attempt to drain their life force the way it is seen in existing Broken Lord artwork.

Bonus image:

First exploration into pixel art, trying to learn to use Gale (Ph33r me Simon smiley: smile )

(Official Broken Lord artwork can be found in the Endless Legend forum here The inspiration for this monster idea was the Broken Lord load screen)

Idea 3

Name: Lab Maintenance Drone

Lore: Even in a society where Dust is the greatest resource, buildings still need to be maintained and cleaned. With the collapse of the Endless civilization the facilities on Auriga went dormant. Now that the crash survivors reawakened them, so awakened their custodians. All over, in dark rooms, lone maintenance drones dart out of their cupboards, go about their business and disappear again.

because we do not have enough droids

placeholder art (in case I find time tomorrow to do a proper sketch) :

A little ecplipse shaped, flying robot with a propeller. A good cleaning bot does not step where it just cleaned and hover tech will affect the space underneath the bot so is impractical. A large focus lens allows the little fellow to spot dirt from the opposite side of the room. Four arms dangling from its underside allow it to manipulate cleaning tools and move objects out of the way. Being highly advanced tech, while it does mop the floor when it is done cleaning, most dirt is disintegrated with a tiny raygun. A small hatch underneath the lens allows storage of its tools of the trade.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 24, 2014, 3:46:42 PM
Woo, I wasn't expecting much when I posted my ideas, and now that it has won, I don't know what to say. smiley: biggrin This G2G thing is really awesome.

Anyways, here's some input that may be interesting. I came up with the idea of the Dust Anomaly after watching the 'Dungeon of the Endless - The Very Short Movie' video, and saw that more than one escape pods from the prison ship 'Success' penetrated or landed around the vicinity of the 'dungeon'. I realize that more than 1 pod must have gotten inside the dungeon, because you find other heroes, but I thought it was curious why it was only your team lugging around a crystal, and thought about what happens when the monsters get a hold of a crystal.

That's all I want to share about that. I don't want to influence much on this phase. I'm so excited to see some art, and read some lore. smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 24, 2014, 5:04:13 PM
TheMassive wrote:
Woo, I wasn't expecting much when I posted my ideas, and now that it has won, I don't know what to say. smiley: biggrin This G2G thing is really awesome.

Anyways, here's some input that may be interesting. I came up with the idea of the Dust Anomaly after watching the 'Dungeon of the Endless - The Very Short Movie' video, and saw that more than one escape pods from the prison ship 'Success' penetrated or landed around the vicinity of the 'dungeon'. I realize that more than 1 pod must have gotten inside the dungeon, because you find other heroes, but I thought it was curious why it was only your team lugging around a crystal, and thought about what happens when the monsters get a hold of a crystal.

That's all I want to share about that. I don't want to influence much on this phase. I'm so excited to see some art, and read some lore. smiley: smile

Congrats on winning part 1!

Now I want to see some cute monsters (I'll be making those T-shirts!). smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 24, 2014, 7:44:20 PM
December 5th? That is a whole 11 days!!! It will take less time to vote than to collect submissions :P
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 25, 2014, 12:14:41 AM
Dustwater Cucumber of terrifying death and overwhelming destruction

Once a regular inhabitant of Auriga, now it seem as creepy result of heavy mutation, which was caused by continuous contact with Dustwater.

After centuries of such existence, most of its cells was replaced by Dust, very concentrated and unstable kind of it, making this creature immortal, though brainless, since its brain is dust itself, which can be collected by cutting upper, uncrystallized part of the creature.

For some reason, most of its exterior became crystallized, however these crystals contain no Dust, which means there could be something else on this planet, that turns animals to such abominations.

Since its alteration, Dustwater Cucumber barely can move or defend itself, however, it seems there is no creature that would hunt or attack it, so it's just lying down here somewhere, waiting for its end, or for the end of the universe.

Also I'm the worst artist in the world.

0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 25, 2014, 12:47:57 AM
This contest finally made me make an account here after playing dungeon and endless legend for several months. So yay for that.

Name: (Ended Haunt) "Eater"

(Based off of the Haunts minor faction in endless legend, yada yada yada)

Lore: The Eater is essentially a Haunt that has become trapped in the dungeon. Being bonded with dust, this Haunt has spent his time trying to obtain more and more dust, and eat it, yet he has had a hard time getting it, so he has become weak with time. So when the heroes pass through his halls, he doesn't attack them, yet when their door opening causes an anomaly, namely the spawning of dust in a room, he goes after it, thinking it an easy and free meal.

In the Game: How it will work is, the door is opened, the waves begin spawning, but in those waves there's a little ding with a dust icon that pops up. A few seconds later, however, the red alert icon of the eater replaces it. Then the two icons switch back and forth. As for what the eater does in the room, well, he's eating dust. When a hero walks in the room, he attacks them, but gets defeated easily. However, if he finishes his meal, he dissapears, along with the dust.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 25, 2014, 11:30:55 AM
con7rad7 wrote:
This contest finally made me make an account here after playing dungeon and endless legend for several months. So yay for that.

Welcome, and thanks for your contest entry!!

I can't wait to see what you guys & gals will be coming up with smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 25, 2014, 11:45:04 AM
melkathi wrote:
December 5th? That is a whole 11 days!!! It will take less time to vote than to collect submissions :P

Not sure you read that right, but we'll be accepting submissions for the "Dust Anomaly" monster until December 2nd (5pm) not the 5th. smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 20, 2014, 3:26:18 PM

Hello everyone,

Results of the part 1 of the Creation Contest - Monster Edition

Here are the results of the GAMES2GETHER vote,

The winner is “Dust Anomaly” by TheMassive! Congratulations! smiley: smile You will receive:

• A unique Amplitude Forum Badge
  • Your name in the credits of the game
  • A unique Dungeon of the Endless t-shirt featuring the Monster
  • 3 copies of the Founder Pack to play co-op with your friends

Monster behaviour

Here's a description of the "Dust Anomaly" (codename!) behaviour: Sits in an unpowered room for a short period of time, then disappears (a ping is shown to indicate its location). If killed by the player, gives a Dust bonus.

Gameplay rationale

Forces the player to come out of their defences to loot the bonus before it disappears.

Stats

• HP max: 3
  • Defence: 4
  • Movement Speed: 1
  • DPS: 1
  • Attack Range: 4

Part 2 – Visual and Background

The Brief

Now, we have the gameplay of the monster, imagine the visual but also the name and the lore of the monster created by TheMassive (see above). Which creature or robot or whatever would not try to destroy your defences or your Crystal but give you a good amount of Dust when it dies? Another important lore element: why does this monster suddenly disappear after staying in a room for a few seconds?

The Entries

Your proposals must include:

• Name
  • Visual concept (use the style and the technique of your choice)
  • (Optional) Background / Lore description

To keep a visual coherence in the game, our pixel Artist, Simon, will then draw the final sprites, based on the content provided by the winner.

The Rules

• The proposals need to be in English
  • You may submit several entries but are limited to three (in one post)
  • Amplitude will pick the 3 finalists who will move on to a G2G vote phase

Deadline

The deadline is set to December 2nd at 5 PM. (CEST)

Advice

• Use the existing elements of the game (creatures, environment, lore) to create a monster coherent with the game background
  • Take into account every element of the monster created by TheMassive (except code name) including the stats

Prize

As a reminder, the winner will receive:

• A unique Amplitude Forum Badge
  • Her/his name in the credits of the game
  • A unique Dungeon of the Endless t-shirt featuring the Monster
  • 3 copies of the Founder Pack to play co-op with friends

smiley: warning Please note that Amplitude reserves the right to modify the 3 proposals and will work with the winners to finalise the design and adapt it to development constraints.

Good luck everyone! smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 25, 2014, 3:35:15 PM
Hello everyone!

I thought that DoTE need something cute, so I tried to make a cute "Monster". smiley: stickouttongue

Name: Dust Bunny

Lore: No one does exactly know what it is, or where it come from. It just appears sometimes and disappears after a little moment. It can't really hurt you, but for you it's difficult too, to kill a thing that's just air and dust.

For sure is, that this monster is made of Dust and that it gives you a nice amout of dust when you kill it. It's unknown who found this out, I mean, who wants to kill something that cute...

How dare you when you kill it. smiley: biggrin

I found out, that it is quite difficult to make something cute...but i hope you like it. smiley: wink

Greetings Donern
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 25, 2014, 3:56:33 PM
Edited the OP:

The Brief

Now, we have the gameplay of the monster, imagine the visual but also the name and the lore of the monster created by TheMassive (see above). Which creature or robot or whatever would not try to destroy your defences or your Crystal but give you a good amount of Dust when it dies? Another important lore element: why does this monster suddenly disappear after staying in a room for a few seconds?
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 25, 2014, 7:16:08 PM
Gavos wrote:
But can it be killed with a Holy Dust Grenade? :-D

I expect it can as long as thou count to three and only three, neither counting to four nor to two, excepting thou then proceed to three.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 26, 2014, 5:09:31 PM
Name - Lost Endless or Endless Echo

Visual (sorry that I don't post my own drawing but picture from ES is much better)

Lore - It's echo of Virtual Endless who survived Dust Wars by hiding in Aurigas dungeons. They survive but lost their mind and connection with universe. Endless perished millennia ago, but their minds have survived and they are still calling for help. What you will encounter is no more Endless, it's phantom of that glorious race.

Endless Echo use power network to move and appear from time to time in some rooms. They are waiting for help, when noone comes they search another place. It's something like beacon.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 26, 2014, 7:23:43 PM
Concept 1

Name: Lluwchi Gweddraig (The Dust Anomaly)

Visual Concept:

Lore:

The Lluwchi Gweddraig (literally: Dusting Phase-Dragon) is an ancient mythological beast, thought to be no more than a tale made up to scare people away from the darkness. An evil-looking monster made of light and dust, often described as a Dust Anomaly ( I really like that name).

In reality, a Millennia ago, the Lluwchi Gweddraig was a rare beast, one of a kind. It roamed the world in search of dust and grew so large that it could no longer live on the paltry supply found on the surface. It began to die, and grew smaller as it wasted away. Now under threat from other monsters, it retreated underground into tunnels for safety. It began to extend the tunnels, barely surviving on the small amounts of dust it could find in the darkness.

Eventually, its tunnelling broke through into a small underground cave, empty except for a large yellow light in the centre. Out of desperation, it began to walk into the light. The world curved around it to reveal a vast cavern, so large the edges could not be seen. Within the cavern were thousands of small yellow lights - each one leading to a new dimension, new worlds and, more importantly, new dust.

These lights were just large enough for the Lluwchi Gweddraig's head to pass through and feed on the dust on the other side. Its appearance in these worlds is of a bright yellow, translucent head with large purple eyes. When it appears, it begins to syphon up any remnants of dust within reach, emitting a purple glow around its head. Once the dust has run dry, it retreats into its own world to search out another source world.

When attacked, it will defend itself before withdrawing back into its own world. As it passes through the lights it is in a severely weakened state and its defences are limited. It cannot be killed in this world, only driven away, leaving behind some of the dust it was in the process of syphoning from the area. However, if it eventually finds a way to fully manifest its terrible form in this dimension, that would be another matter entirely...

Concept 2

Name: Dust Shrieker

Visual Concept:

Lore: The Dust Shrieker is a being of electricity that transforms dust into energy. Entering darkened rooms, it circulates a charge through its body, disturbing the very essence of the room itself, shaking dust free from the fabric of the walls. The dust begins to circle around the Shrieker as it is transforms into energy to power itself. Once the dust is depleted, the Shrieker leaves in search of other rooms to drain.

If disturbed, the Shrieker creates an energy shield around itself and lashes out with a flurry of electric attacks - when desperate, it starts hardening the dust into rocks to bombard the enemies, depriving itself of its shield for one final barrage. Without the dust flowing in, the Shirker dissipates, leaving nothing behind but dust itself.

Concept 3

Name: The Angel Cat

Visual Concept:

Lore: Appearance of a really cute little spectral kitteh with a partial halo above its head. Actually an evil dust monster thing that uses the kitteh lure growing out of its head to attract the interest of its potential prey. The partial halo is actually the monster's eyes. Hides in darkness to avoid detection, never stays in the same place too long to maximise chance of catching prey.

Many heroes have died due to the Angel Cat's ferocious cuteness.

This final one is no way pandering to certain members of the team or anything...
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 26, 2014, 9:42:09 PM
Hi everyone ! This is my first post here smiley: smile

Here's my concept :

Name: Withering Dustbag

Visual:

Just before posting this, I watched de previous posts and I figured that it looks a bit like the first post. I'm sorry about this, it's pure coincidence...

The visual is a kind of weird looking humanoid with scales all over it's back side from feet to head. His movements are slow and look painful, that's why it is just trying to move away from battle to find a place to rest.

Lore:

I don't have much ideas about the lore, but it could be an elder member of a kind of species of humanoid nourissing on dust. This one is too old and is trying to find a place to release all of it's dust and die. That way, the more time the player spends to reach it, the less dust he will acquire. If the player doesn't come in time, the dustbag releases all of it's dust and the room becomes an auto-powered one.

That's all !

Thanks for reading smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 27, 2014, 12:35:06 AM

Name: Silic Imploder

Visual concept: The immediately recognizable silhouette is that of an equilateral pyramid hovering over a trio of triangular legs. This is hard to miss given that it is illuminated from the middle. The legs spin around on its axis as they work to draw dust particles up from a major node. The dust and crystal expand together until some critical threshold is reached, at which point it all goes crashing inward and implodes itself out of existence.

Background: Why the imploder lives only to destroy itself makes it difficult to understand how it could've evolved. These Silics seem hellbent on destroying all this dust-connected, so surely there's a reason in there somewhere. But if you do catch it before it goes, a generous amount of dust will be available.

They appear to be hacking into the dust network and siphoning off resources from who knows where. This process is of dust accrual is strong enough to power the room enough to show the presence of the being.

These imploders manage to obliterate this dust as if it had never existed, so it's critical to run to their position with haste. They do not seem to be volatile when not in the presence of dust, so I have to assume that they are somehow using the power of the dust against itself.

Miserable things, like the others, only these will taunt you of crucial help often beyond your reach.

---

First post: Hi all! Been loving the game and found some fun stuff here in the forums. thxsmiley: biggrin
0Send private message
10 years ago
Nov 27, 2014, 12:58:11 PM
Callil wrote:
Hi everyone ! This is my first post here smiley: smile

1nfinitezer0 wrote:
First post: Hi all! Been loving the game and found some fun stuff here in the forums. thxsmiley: biggrin

Hey there!

Welcome and thanks for your cool contest entries smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
Comment