Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[DotE] GDD 3 - 3C & COURSE OF GAME

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Sep 28, 2013, 12:10:08 AM
Mansen wrote:
I am sad. Guess I'll just play windowed then.

Look a this the other way: pixelated graphics, if neatly made, can be quite appealing.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 17, 2013, 11:34:33 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Since people seem to have adopted the strategy to get the crystal, get a few monster spawns, farm them for the dust, put the crystal back, repeat, I want to suggest the following:

Each time you put the crystal back, the likelihood of a spawn happening at the next time the crystal is taken is increased by 50%, additively. smiley: wink

Once i realized you could do that, I never wanted to do it again. I simply noted it and ignored it for the most part during my runs. Its an exploit and nothing more. There has to be a penalty for picking it up, it the only real way to make people stop doing it; If you pick it up socket breaks or the "ghost comes" after x time.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 16, 2013, 6:46:53 PM
jgoemat wrote:
I actually would rather have a seed that would let you play the same exact world over. I don't know why you would want persistence, that's not really what the game is about. People might find fun 'worlds' though and want to share them for their friends to play, or to replay one you weren't successful at.

Sharing world seeds is fun. Persistence would be more of a way of self-referencing and seeing past events of the player in another game.

Alternatively, it could be a just random loot spawn where the player could find a dead party, and maybe some equipment.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 16, 2013, 5:59:56 AM
The 3C are very clear and easy to see how they translate into the game smiley: smile

Camera:

- The area auto-zoom works nicely when meeting new Heroes/ Merchants in the dungeons

Character:

- Can't wait to try out character abilities and various skills

Control:

- No micro-positioning of the character inside a room could be a bummer for some (was initially for me too) - as Mouse control inherently makes the user feel more precise

- Would love to hot-key control map the heroes. Sometimes, I wish the repairman to be hot-keyed to "2" and Melee to "1" for eg.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 9:20:20 PM
I think that the game should have 'worlds'.

Let's say I start my first game on World seed 95945743012.

If I play subsequent games in this same world, I won't necessarily repeast the same dungon.

But some things may repeat themselves and give a sense of continuity in the game, even if every game has a different party.

If my party dies at room 082348934 in level 5, it may happen in a future game that another game have me find references or even equipment from that party, if I am still playing in the same world.

Each world would have a recorded history and stats.

I actually would rather have a seed that would let you play the same exact world over. I don't know why you would want persistence, that's not really what the game is about. People might find fun 'worlds' though and want to share them for their friends to play, or to replay one you weren't successful at.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 12, 2013, 10:13:36 AM
Since people seem to have adopted the strategy to get the crystal, get a few monster spawns, farm them for the dust, put the crystal back, repeat, I want to suggest the following:

Each time you put the crystal back, the likelihood of a spawn happening at the next time the crystal is taken is increased by 50%, additively. smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 11, 2013, 4:00:48 PM
I think that the game should have 'worlds'.

Let's say I start my first game on World seed 95945743012.

If I play subsequent games in this same world, I won't necessarily repeast the same dungon.

But some things may repeat themselves and give a sense of continuity in the game, even if every game has a different party.

If my party dies at room 082348934 in level 5, it may happen in a future game that another game have me find references or even equipment from that party, if I am still playing in the same world.

Each world would have a recorded history and stats.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 11, 2013, 12:23:55 AM
"Upon exiting the dungeon to the surface of the planet they were greeted by *familiar faces, celebration and cake, and much cake was indeed had that day - the cake was Hydromiel cake, it was very delicious."
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 28, 2013, 3:29:58 PM
Divine_Moments_of_Truth wrote:
Look a this the other way: pixelated graphics, if neatly made, can be quite appealing.

Oh sure - But scaling typically doesn't look so great with pixel art. It has a tendency to become blurry/smudgy depending on how it is scaled, and whether it's the application or monitor that does the scaling.

I remember back when I got my 1920x1200 (16:10) monitor, all of my old city building games looked horrible when upscaled from 1024x768. Thank god for clever modders and their ability to extend the viewport. lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 28, 2013, 8:38:09 AM

Wonderful description. smiley: biggrin

But I guess it depends on the game too, if windowed or fullscreen is better fitting. Let's wait n see.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 25, 2013, 11:01:14 AM

Hi,

We are very glad to share with you our first documents. Check out the background story and game overview. Don't hesitate to give your feedback and ask questions: we will gladly try and give you an answer but keep in mind that we have plenty of documents to come... smiley: smile

We are now releasing our third document: we are looking forward to reading your comments.

Camera

• 2D top view
  • Scale & Ratio:

• Free pan (x, y) by drag & drop
  • No zoom, only a tactical view:

• No rotation
  • Fixed resolution: 1280x720px
  • Full Screen option

Character

• Omnipotent player, can:

• See all activity in the powered rooms and rooms with a hero inside
    • Select all playable objects (heroes, modules)

Controller

Currently, the player can use a mouse or an Xbox 360 pad.

Mouse[/COLOR]

• Move the camera using drag & drop
  • Left click to select (heroes, modules...)
  • Right click to target (rooms, modules, objects…)
  • Switch heroes in HUD or with mouse wheel
  • Dropdown menu to build modules
  • Special mode to power rooms

Pad[/COLOR]

Course of game

The launch of a game begins with the selection of the spaceship (amongst the crashed fleet of pods) and its crew, which the player wants to save. She then discovers a new dungeon and has to find the exit. A dungeon consists of a succession of levels that get harder as they get closer to the surface. The game is not easy to master; the first gameplays are designed to fail. Progression is definitely lost; the player must choose a new spaceship and start again at the first level.

The levels are grouped by tilesets which mark the progress of the player and change the ambiance, the events encountered and the population.

The player can “save and quit” (with a system of slots for different games but no other save option). A successful game lasts about 1h30 to 2 hours.

Victory[/COLOR]

To complete a level, the player must find the exit. But to activate the lift to the upper level, the player must bring her Crystal – and this move is not without risks!

To complete the dungeon, the player must find the exit of the last level: The surface of the planet.

smiley: amplitude VIP's Feedback

• As suggested, we would like add an "endless mode"
  • It is not expected to have different lengths and difficulties of games (expect this endless mode)
  • They proposed to have different endings: a nice idea that we have noted
  • We confirmed there isn't currently zoom option except the tactical view (graphic, technical and design choice)
  • They have given cool propositions for Endless Heroes
  • We have started discussing about persistence and meta-game, but we will talk about this in another thread

0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 27, 2013, 1:22:55 PM
Currently, we scale the pixels (especially for technical reasons). Giving additional space and consequently more information for the bigger monitors would be unfair ^^.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 27, 2013, 12:53:27 PM
Looks good - One concern I have though. The fixed resolution? Does that mean that those of us with high resolution monitors are going to see pixel scaling, or will the game fill out the additional space with more of the dungeon?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 27, 2013, 12:51:48 PM
Yes, you're right!

They are a lot of Rogue-Like with a longer duration, especially the "true" Rogue-Like.

However, I think my examples, which are "Rogue-Like-like", have a broader target (which probably explains their success).

With Dungeon, we would like to keep this spirit of short games, less frustrating to fail.

But as I said, nothing is set in stone, and I note your remark!

We will be watching this question and the expectations when the players will put their hands on it smiley: smile

But what about the rest of you guys? What do you think?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 27, 2013, 10:59:21 AM
SotS: The Pit was (is?) wicked good and it took me much longer to beat one playthrough. That's why I'm interested in this topic.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 27, 2013, 8:43:26 AM
Here I am ^^

Nothing is definitively fixed about the length of the game, but we aim at 2 hours maximum for a complete run by an intermediate player, based on recent successful "roguelike-like" Binding of Isaac (less than 1h) or FTL (less than 2h) for example.

These games, as Dungeon of the Endless, are designed to make you fail and start over again many times. A game that is too long with a lot of defeats would be too frustrating for most players.

They are also designed so that a run can be performed during one gaming session. (I know the 4X players can play much longer consecutively but it's not the average profile ^^).

About the Endless mode: it is not necessary "too long", because it will very probably be the hardcore mode of Dungeon of the Endless. So, I think if you manage to stay alive - I don't know - 3 hours, you will be an excellent player. (This mode is not designed yet, so it's just first thought).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 4:10:47 PM
Aww, 1,5-2h sounds quite short (5-6h would be enough for me) and endless gameplay sounds too long.

The rest of it seems very interesting so I'll take it anyway.

Well, it is 1.5-2 hours per round of playing the game, successfully. The aim of the game is to play it many times over. But I think mysterarts is going to say something about that, soon. smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 4:03:39 PM
Interesting concept with the level, I'll wonder how it will work out smiley: biggrin

Controlls are OK, I think.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 3:47:05 PM
Aww, 1,5-2h sounds quite short (5-6h would be enough for me) and endless gameplay sounds too long.

The rest of it seems very interesting so I'll take it anyway.

It may be too soon to ask about this but do you plan to release any addons, like you did with ES?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment