Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[DotE] GDD 4 - DUNGEON & ROOMS

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Oct 4, 2013, 10:31:56 AM
Hi,

DarkMeph wrote:
Will you be able to move items between heroes?

DarkMeph

If you talk about items that you can equip your heroes with, absolutely! More information next week smiley: wink

Doshaburi wrote:
It would be pretty nasty but... can some mobs destroy the barricades ^^ ? And, could we also build barricades that don't block the enemies but, instead, affect who is passing through ? Of course it would affect both enemies and allies, it wouldn't be fair otherwise. (like a thunder portal that damages whoever passes through or ... well... I would love to build an old wire&bell trap to hear enemies incoming but I don't think it would be really useful ^^, except maybe for unpowered rooms).

I don't really know what you mean by "trapped barricade", does they explode ?

Yes, it's planned that some mobs can destroy the barricades smiley: smile

For me, the trapped barricades are "barricades that don't block the enemies but, instead, affect who is passing through"!

We don't know, at the moment, if we can add this type but we really like the idea.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 3, 2014, 1:27:45 AM
I also agree with the many exits option. Not only does it open up more strategies to players as far as resource management, but it creates additional risk/reward-based decisions: do you go down the first exit you find--and potentially miss new recruits, items and chances to fill your industry and food coffers? Or do you wait for a second exit, potentially lose members, wastefully spend resources, and commit yourself to room layouts that end in a slow, painful decimation of your survivors?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 2, 2014, 11:51:00 AM
I have an idea for a room and stats for the characters.

The room should be a hologram room where one of the hostile creatures is displayed. The Character that unlocks this hologram (like opening a chest or gathering resources) will then get a + to his damage against this creature for having studied it. There should be only one bonus pr. creature pr. Character. opening the room with a known creature to the character you will then have to pull the character out and let another have the bonus or loose the bonus.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 17, 2013, 11:29:12 PM
Kreeth wrote:
I don't know if it's already been proposed anywhere but how about having few exit rooms you can choose from to end the level? It could give the player the chance to feel like he has a real choice and such different exits could take him to a different kind of level and that could be hinted by how the exit actually looks. For example, if there's an exit that's covered in some sort of goo it would probably lead the player to a "goo themed" level.

Now I don't know if I should write the next idea here or go to a different thread, but I was thinking about a particular level you would encounter from time to time where you don't actually open any doors but have to defend the crystal for X waves. That would be more tower defense-ish and less rougle like-ish but I think that would give some leves a bit more variety I guess. Though I suppose a level like "repel a few waves and the door will open giving you a short break and then new waves will come at you" would be cool as well.

+1 on the different "themed" exits, that could play wonderfully with my "puzzle" room/locked door idea for some of the cool exits - similar to the city of gold in Spelunkey; certain conditions to go to special level set, this case being a "locked door" and a "key" to be found to get to the special locked up exit.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 15, 2013, 9:38:36 PM
I don't know if it's already been proposed anywhere but how about having few exit rooms you can choose from to end the level? It could give the player the chance to feel like he has a real choice and such different exits could take him to a different kind of level and that could be hinted by how the exit actually looks. For example, if there's an exit that's covered in some sort of goo it would probably lead the player to a "goo themed" level.

Now I don't know if I should write the next idea here or go to a different thread, but I was thinking about a particular level you would encounter from time to time where you don't actually open any doors but have to defend the crystal for X waves. That would be more tower defense-ish and less rougle like-ish but I think that would give some leves a bit more variety I guess. Though I suppose a level like "repel a few waves and the door will open giving you a short break and then new waves will come at you" would be cool as well.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 12, 2013, 11:24:13 AM
I would like to see an 'infinite' game mode with a 1-level horizontal dungeon. It could eventually change looks and difficulty as the player progresses through it. The player would be able to move the crystal as it goes around it. There could be rare chances of a 'endgame' room being found, but the player would have the option of not activating the 'endgame' however it happens, and just keep exploring.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 10, 2013, 9:36:17 PM
Trapped barricades is an excellent idea.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 4, 2013, 1:15:00 PM
DarkMeph wrote:
Are you using the unity player like you did with Endless Space?

DarkMeph

Yes, we're using the Unity engine.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 4, 2013, 11:15:19 AM
Thanks Myterarts smiley: biggrin

The teaser on EQ and heros got me hooked lol

I see that my thought of trapped barricads wasnt entirely right, but your idea seems to be good too !
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 1, 2013, 9:37:53 AM
Hello everyone,

Today, we are starting to go more into details with the notions of Dungeon and Room, and what those imply.

Dungeon

When the player starts the game, she can only see the rooms of the spaceship which includes an initial team of heroes and some starting modules, including the crystal. New initial templates can be unlocked thanks to the G2G, DLC, meta-game system or/and in-game challenges and achievements.

Each template offers a unique challenge and requires a dedicated play-style. Once the template is selected, the game starts. The dungeon is randomly generated around the initial template. Rooms and events change every game, allowing an infinite replay value.

Level of dungeon[/COLOR]

The generator uses rectangular rooms, connected to each other by doors.

To control the difficulty, the content of a room depends on its distance from the main room.

But the difficulty is not perfectly distributed in order to maintain a part of surprise for the player. Therefore, a careful player stays as long as possible near the spaceship, while a risky player explores the periphery in hopes of finding the exit.

Room

States[/COLOR]

A room has one of these states:

• Unknown: not yet opened, not visible on the map
  • Open: was opened but there is no hero inside, activity not visible
  • Occupied: was opened and is currently visited by a hero
  • Powered: is powered by the Crystal

To “Power” a room means to take possession of the premises and supply energy. A room can be powered only if it is next to another powered room and consumes one energy floor. A powered room adds:

• Lights to see clearly (only graphical at the moment)
  • Camera to see activity when nobody is inside
  • Possibility to build and use modules

At any time, the player can “unpower a room” to recover an energy floor and lose these advantages.

Contents[/COLOR]

A room may trigger an event when it’s opened, and may contain some loots (FIDS, blueprint, hero, hero item). Loot objects are automatically collected by the nearest hero upon their entry to the room.

All rooms have:

• 1 to X doors

An “unpowered” room has:

• 0 or 1 merchant XOR endless’ remains XOR major module slot (unusable)
  • 1 to X minor module slots (unusable)

When a room is powered, the merchant or the Endless ruins stay in place (and the room can’t have a major slot unless the ruins are discovered)

A powered room has:

• 0 or 1 major slot XOR merchant / Endless’ remains
  • 1 to X minor slots

Indeed, there are two types of modules and two types of slots: the majors and the minors.

For example, if there is a free major slot in a powered room, the player can build a new major module in it. Building a module requires having the blueprint and enough Industry to pay its cost.

Remark: the minor slots don’t take the entire space in the square to avoid blocking the passage.

The rooms are connected by doors. A hero can barricade a door to slow down enemies’ progression, but this also prevents the passage of heroes. Rooms’ connectivity is an important part of the game because they define the pathfinding and thus the time needed to go from one point to another.

smiley: amplitude VIP's Feedback

This game design document has been shown to the VIP. At the end of each topic, we will add a little summary of the fruitful discussions.

• They suggested trapped barricades, a very nice idea!
  • We clarified that building a module is a management action which doesn't require hero (more details soon)
  • We confirmed the presence of environmental hazards
  • We discussed "unknown objects/modules" and other identification skills

0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 2, 2013, 12:31:25 PM
DarkMeph wrote:
Will you be able to move items between heroes?

DarkMeph

Wonderful question, I'd like to know the answer to this too smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 2, 2013, 12:22:13 PM
Mysterarts wrote:

The rooms are connected by doors. A hero can barricade a door to slow down enemies’ progression, but this also prevents the passage of heroes. Rooms’ connectivity is an important part of the game because they define the pathfinding and thus the time needed to go from one point to another.

It would be pretty nasty but... can some mobs destroy the barricades ^^ ? And, could we also build barricades that don't block the enemies but, instead, affect who is passing through ? Of course it would affect both enemies and allies, it wouldn't be fair otherwise. (like a thunder portal that damages whoever passes through or ... well... I would love to build an old wire&bell trap to hear enemies incoming but I don't think it would be really useful ^^, except maybe for unpowered rooms).

I don't really know what you mean by "trapped barricade", does they explode ?
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 2, 2013, 8:32:24 AM
T41 wrote:
So are the modules the 'towers' in the 'tower defense' part smiley: smile

I couldn't sum it up any better smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 2, 2013, 4:33:40 AM
T41 wrote:
So are the modules the 'towers' in the 'tower defense' part smiley: smile

That's the most fitting translation there is.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 1, 2013, 9:52:37 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Guess who came up with trapping the dungeon? smiley: stickouttongue

Don't tell me, you have been this wicked mind? smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 1, 2013, 8:23:09 PM
Tredecim wrote:
Environmental hazards & trapped barricades - well done VIPs. smiley: biggrin

Guess who came up with trapping the dungeon? smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 1, 2013, 4:37:04 PM
Environmental hazards & trapped barricades - well done VIPs. smiley: biggrin

Just a minor thing: That's too many M's for me currently, maybe differ them in Icons/Size/etc ? (or is this already planned ?)
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment