Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Legend
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Legend is a turn-based 4X fantasy-strategy game, where you control every aspect of your civilization as you struggle to save your homeworld Auriga. Create your own Legend!

Inferno V1.6.4 S3 (64-bit): No audio on Bink movies

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Aug 10, 2018, 1:16:59 AM

Damn glad to see a new DLC for Endless Legend! Inferno looks like another winner... and thank you for the deal with Endless Space 2! Thank you for supporting the Mac with your games as well, it is much appreciated.

• Issue
    Never had a problem with Endless Legend for macOS (or Endless Space 2) until now... After installing the Inferno DLC and updating the app to the latest version on Steam, none of the Bink movies have any audio. That's the the corporate branding, intro movie, and all the race-sepcific stories. Silent. The main menu and the game when playing however, have no problems, audio is fine (msuic, effects, everything is there). It's just the Bink movies, everything .bik.

• Specs
    macOS 10.13.6 "High Sierra", Mac Pro, 64-bit, 3.7GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB RAM, two linked AMD FirePro D700 video cards with 6GB each

• Version
    Endless Legend Inferno V1.6.4 S3 (64-bit)

• Game save
    N/A. I did not get to actually saving a game, after starting up and noticing the audio fail right away.

Note: Your Mac support post needs updating here. On the Mac the saved games are in "~/Library/Application Support/Endless Legend/Save Files/".

• Player.log (via the OSX Console)
    I won't post log files in a public forum, but I am happy to send your tech support all relevant logs and the system profile if you give me a place to send it. Not much stands out though in Player.log, though I do see a fair number of, "Fallback handler could not load library" with reference to "EndlessLegend.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/libfmodevent".

Speaking of the Mono Framework... I see Endless Legend is using Mono 3.4.0. That is the package your support page mentions as the minimum requirement. Endless Space 2 installed Mono 4.8.0 into /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework. Does Endless Legend use a higher version of Mono if it sees one? I checked the Mono site and the latest release is 5.14.0. Your Mac support suggests upgrading Mono can fix errors, so I will try that.

• Diagnostics.*.html
    I am not comfortable posting these in a public forum for the same reasons as log files. These contain real account names and sometimes other details not for public posting. I am happy to send them to your support staff directly. Looking in the latest HTML files from the last couple tries, there are no Warning or Error-level entries. Note that V1.6.2 S3 (64-bit) did have a few warnings for missing resources - verifying the cache in Steam appears to have solved all those older warnings, along with the update to V1.6.4 S3 (64-bit).

Note: There are two typos in the path you give to the temporary files: "~Library/Application Support/EndlessLegend/Temporary Files/" should be "~/Library/Application Support/Endless Legend/Temporary Files/".

• Screenshots
    N/A. Just an audio issue, nothing visual.

• Multiplayer
    I have not tried multiplayer.

Note: Your support page needs an update here too, as we have no "My Documents" folder on the Mac. I'm guessing multiplayer dump files would be in "~/Library/Application Support/Endless Legend/Dump Files/".

We will also ask you to link your Steam account, this way we can ensure you are playing on an updated client and not an outdated and buggy pirate version...

Not too comfortable with linking accounts across services either... Though I do get why you would want to see this, I don't do this anywhere at this time - it's better security to keep accounts separate even if it is inconvenient. I also don't mind avoiding all that marketing profiling and data mining that happens when you link accounts! Advertising bugs me. :P If there is another way we can prove we are using a legit, updated Steam client and game, that would be great!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 10, 2018, 2:30:25 PM

I have the exact same behavior and logs (no audio in all bink movies after installed Inferno DLC). Playing bink video with BinkMacIntelPlayer work as expected (audio and video are OK).

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 12, 2018, 6:42:01 AM

I have the same problem although I haven't installed the Inferno DLC as of yet. It should be noted that the game is up to date otherwise. This would seem to indicate that it isn't directly related to the Inferno DLC.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 17, 2018, 9:52:57 PM

Update: Upgrading to Mono 5.14.0 did not solve the problem. Still won't play Bink movie audio...

0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 6, 2018, 5:57:12 PM

Have you guys heard of Nvidia Geforce Now? I've been using it to play Endless Legend on a Mac with no problems. It is in beta now, but you can request access here. You will need a good internet connection but all of the above problems disappear.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 2, 2019, 6:48:25 AM

Update: Version 1.7.5 with Symbiosis, on macOS 10.14 "Mojave" has working Bink audio... Whether you found the issue or it happened to get fixed through other patches (Mono maybe), thank you! Hope it's working for everyone else who was having this problem too.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message