Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Kyrnesh Algorithm

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 11, 2016, 4:29:15 PM

Kyrnesh Affinity - Converts dust from trade routes into industry. Can propose ongoing trades for industry instead of dust. Factions at war with Kyrnesh suffer a 10% penalty to Industry, which stacks every 10 turns that the war persists for.

Kyrnesh Population - Pops are developed using "Organic matter" which is a combination of Food and Industry, since buildings ALSO need to come out of Organic Matter, there's a balance that the player needs to strike between building and growth, as the Algorithm can do one or the other on a planet, but not both. Pops and Buildings cost 150% of normal. Pops do not starve.

EDIT : With the revised affinity, the Algorithm now works on the premise of forging good diplomatic links, and converting those into ongoing trade agreements, it can trade spare luxuries and materials for industry as opposed to dust, which allows it to further fuel the growth of its' empire that much faster. Additionally, going to war against the algorithm causes a "damping" effect to the attacker, which gets progressively nastier as time elapses, a long drawn out war isn't in the attackers best interest.

Backstory -

"You ever hear the story about sentient goo? Well let me tell you about the Algorithm, the sentient goo's friendly cousin."

Initially designed as a super weapon, something that could eliminate all life on a planet without damaging structures or assets. Given the nickname "Sentient goo" in reference to historical monikers concerning the apocalyptic scenario of nanotechnology going out of control. For the United Empire though, something unexpected happened, on an ancient, previously civilised planet the Algorithm interfaced with a research databank and became self aware, capable of conscious thought and painfully torn with the moral implications of the actions it had been forced to commit under the initial programming it had been supplied with, the Algorithm fled into deep space, and found a quiet planet to develop and rebuild itself. From there it recoded itself with a new set of moral imperatives, imperatives that defined itself as a diplomat and as the binding that would see the warring races of the universe settle their differences without needing to resort to violence. It would become the shepherd to the lost children of the stars, and it would show them a better way.

Biography has now been edited to fit within the Terms and Conditions. Kyrnesh affinity has been sharpened. This should be a bit more intriguing.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 14, 2016, 2:05:47 AM

my only issue with this race is that in multiplayer other players would be able to declare war on you, even if they don't do anything it will hurt your FIDS. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 14, 2016, 11:49:52 PM

Grey goo as a concept can't be copyrighted, it's something that exists as a sci-fi trope for quite some time and there's plenty of prior art to back that up. That part is fairly safe.

On the topic of being warred on for the FIDS penalty, agreed, but that's where the counterplay comes in, if the Algorithm player allies with someone powerful, it'll act as a deterrent, and as a direct consequence, it encourages the player to ally up fast and build an alliance/federation that is hard to war against easily. The one tactic they're susceptible to is mass war declarations from other players, so there might need to be a cap of say, max -30% penalty to prevent it from entirely torpedoing FIDS for that reason, but since there's no ben-... waaaait a second *has an idea!*

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 12:48:48 AM

Unfortunately you have already sort of violated the conditions as to relations with known races (not sure about UE but certainly Sophons since they have been announced). You would have to change the bio in order to fit within the parameters of Stage 1.

In terms of the affinity, I have always liked flat FIDS boosts derived from... places. And what you have is simple and good, i like it, it although lacks focus and a FIDS boost is a lack of focus anyway. Keep in mind we are developing Pacifist Diplomats, people who want to invest in the political sphere more than others and desire peace above most other states. 

The thing that makes the faction rather unique to me at least, is the combination of  which creates a play-style difference all on its own since they are shared. Is something this unique required? No, but in this case it adds lovely character to your grey goo and that alone is more than worth it.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 3:07:58 AM

I'm a bit worried that the grey goo will look to much like Sowers/automaton since if u make them look like goo u might come under fire from the game Grey Goo and I agree almost completley with Star how ever the problem is the FIDSI bonus make the faction to powerful, if you look over the developer blogs they don't want many flat FIDSI bonuses in the new game since stacking them makes the factions to powerful. You also need to change your bio because it's against the rules atm, other wise nice idea

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 11:21:21 AM

Yup, a slight adjustment of the bio is required here. Please see to it!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 16, 2016, 10:47:28 PM

On it. I'm also thinking of a more focussed way to encourage players to play the Algorithm in a diplomatic, peaceful style. The idea of combining FI into one and making the player have to choose between pops and development is both a flavour choice -and- a playstyle one, since it gives the Algorithm a unique "cadence" in how it plays out. That might need some mechanical revision if it was to go live.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
Comment