The Koppocco - Peaceful expansionist mushrooms

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 11, 2016, 4:56:01 PM

Name: The Koppocco
Victory type: Expansion/Diplomatic

Theme: Expansionist fungus collective
Faction-Specific Traits

• Invasive Spores: They can't build colony ships. Instead, they slowly colonize nearby planets automatically. If a planet is already inhabited by another faction, they establish a slowly growing minority instead. When they've grown to a certain extent, a new diplomatic option is available to take over that planet from the resident faction, either through dust or through influence. This will hurt their relation however.
  • Local Mind Control: Every established minority on another planet grants more influence points, which they lose when taking over a planet.
  • Intercultural Exchange: After peacefully taking over a planet, the negotiating partner gets a boost on science, production, as well as on trade routes between them and the Koppocco, but only as long as they're in peace with them.
  • Clairvoyant Warfare: Thanks to their huge spore network, they can foresee some attacks. Slightly increases ship defence. 
  • Spiritual Elite: Production generation slightly reduced, Influence generation slightly increased
  • Unskilled Workers: Constructing ships and buildings takes more time
  • Recruitment Issues: Big malus to manpower generation

Description: 

The Koppocco are not your typical kind-hearted space hippies. They are pacifists out of necessity, not because of their love of peace. Their only goal is continuous expansion, and their preferred way of reaching that goal is by making use of their natural talents: diplomacy and manipulation.

Lore:

The Koppocco first gained sentience when a dust infected ship wreck of the concretes hit their humid home planet during the dust wars, and their consciousness has been growing ever since. Anchored in their genes is the firm desire to put down roots on every location they can reach. But they had to start somewhere - by taking over their own planet, which they did by placing spores into the brains of the local fauna, making them their vassals and subsequently sharing parts of their consciousness with them, which allowed animals to do the physical work for them. But the Koppocco soon started to notice that this technique did not quite work the way they were used to on sentient species, being able to control only certain areas of the target’s brain. Thus they had to develop a new technique: diplomacy.
Especially after discovering how to spread their spores through empty space, and hence increasing the chances of discovering new lifeforms greatly, the ability to manipulate, influence and negotiate has become more valuable than ever.

What makes this Pacifist diplomatic faction unique to play? 

I've intended this faction to play very different from all the other currently known factions, through one important aspect: Expansion. Everyone else relies on colony ships to colonize a new planet, which makes it a rather boring aspect of the game. My approach is to make it the central gameplay element. Without annoying your neighbours you can't progress, but if you take it too far you could lose allies, or worse, be plunged into a war, and that's the last thing you want, considering the weak warfare stats of the Koppocco. So you have to constantly balance on the fine line between expansion and diplomacy, which is a very different but interesting approach, if you ask me. They also make use of the new diplomatic pressure feature, because of their huge bonuses to influence generation.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 7:44:48 PM

Someone said this to me and now I can never unsee this as the blorg. I think it's a really cool faction design though, especially with the new mechanics involved.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 11:33:44 PM

I love the idea of a sentient fungus. Passive expansion is an interesting idea, however it may make it difficult for them to secure ideal resources making them rely heavily on trade. In the Gamescon demo, they displayed recon probes to gain vision. Maybe they could have specialized probes that "seed" humid planets as they pass over. They spread blindly. The player can choose to set waypoints to arc their trajectory so that they don't just travel straight. If the probes cross enemy ships they can be captured like an infection.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 14, 2016, 9:55:19 PM

So you expand like border pressure that I'm sure some people here are already familiar with which is rather interesting in itself.

So much for peaceful expansion though if the planted faction grows over time and you can take my system over... albeit slowly. This is clearly passive aggression! They want to expand and grow but what is it that is so charming about these mushrooms that an entire system would uproot itself from one collective to theirs? Give me a reason to love these mushrooms, a reason for me to change sides.

Otherwise, I like it, you probably will not take systems from allies often... but it presents a problematic option on system for someone else, especially if they cannot "purge the Xenos" out of the system without penalties.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 12:39:29 AM

Firstly, thanks for your feedback!

Digitalhawk96 wrote:

So you expand like border pressure that I'm sure some people here are already familiar with which is rather interesting in itself.

So much for peaceful expansion though if the planted faction grows over time and you can take my system over... albeit slowly. This is clearly passive aggression! They want to expand and grow but what is it that is so charming about these mushrooms that an entire system would uproot itself from one collective to theirs? Give me a reason to love these mushrooms, a reason for me to change sides.

Otherwise, I like it, you probably will not take systems from allies often... but it presents a problematic option on system for someone else, especially if they cannot "purge the Xenos" out of the system without penalties.

I've been thinking about that for a while now, the concept right now is, that they either buy a planet (not the whole system) or they just force you with their giant amount of influence. You know, who could say no to mind controlling mushrooms? But maybe I'll find some extra incentives to voluntarily give up a planet to the Koppocco.
I really hope that ES2 features a way to get rid of minorities on your planets, would make them even more interesting to play.

SolarMoth wrote:

I love the idea of a sentient fungus. Passive expansion is an interesting idea, however it may make it difficult for them to secure ideal resources making them rely heavily on trade. In the Gamescon demo, they displayed recon probes to gain vision. Maybe they could have specialized probes that "seed" humid planets as they pass over. They spread blindly. The player can choose to set waypoints to arc their trajectory so that they don't just travel straight. If the probes cross enemy ships they can be captured like an infection.

That's an interesting idea, but real life funguses don't work that way either I think. Of course that wouldn't stop dust infected funguses from spreading wherever the hell they want, but I think that probes with waypoints would just act as colony ships with a different skin. 

And you're right, they would rely on trade to get the resources they want, but I think all the other factions do, too, to a certain extent. I think that's actually a good thing, you know, diplomacy and stuff ^^

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 16, 2016, 5:08:55 AM

I also like the ideas and concepts presented here. I'm unsure about the "First impressions" trait, as it won't have an effect on a human player. And I feel most factions in all previous games are designed such that human and AI players should be identical in theory, which the devs probably want to conserve in ES2. Also, I'm concerned that the Koppocco's ability to take over systems without conflict will lead to unhappy factions that wish to wipe them out. This is in antithesis to the "diplomatic pacifists" our factions should be for this contest. Can you invent some gameplay mechanic that incentivizes other factions to let this happen? For instance, in my submission I try to do this by having diplomatic demands not hurt other factions so strongly. Though it would have to be a very strong incentive. Either that or take another direction?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 16, 2016, 1:52:41 PM
carolean7 wrote:

I also like the ideas and concepts presented here. I'm unsure about the "First impressions" trait, as it won't have an effect on a human player. And I feel most factions in all previous games are designed such that human and AI players should be identical in theory, which the devs probably want to conserve in ES2. Also, I'm concerned that the Koppocco's ability to take over systems without conflict will lead to unhappy factions that wish to wipe them out. This is in antithesis to the "diplomatic pacifists" our factions should be for this contest. Can you invent some gameplay mechanic that incentivizes other factions to let this happen? For instance, in my submission I try to do this by having diplomatic demands not hurt other factions so strongly. Though it would have to be a very strong incentive. Either that or take another direction?

I think you're right, this trait isn't that necessary anyway I guess. I'm thinking about some good incentives for quite a while now, but I have in mind that the Koppocco force other factions to hand over a planet through diplomatic pressure. I don't want that losing a planet is profitable for the other faction, but I think it should be at least acceptable. Currently there's the bonus to trade routes and science, maybe I could add a FIDS bonus or another type of benefit subject to the condition that they don't declare war? What do you think about that?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 16, 2016, 2:25:11 PM
Ykara wrote:
carolean7 wrote:

I think you're right, this trait isn't that necessary anyway I guess. I'm thinking about some good incentives for quite a while now, but I have in mind that the Koppocco force other factions to hand over a planet through diplomatic pressure. I don't want that losing a planet is profitable for the other faction, but I think it should be at least acceptable. Currently there's the bonus to trade routes and science, maybe I could add a FIDS bonus or another type of benefit subject to the condition that they don't declare war? What do you think about that?

That could work in terms of making it feel fair. But it still makes me feel queasy. Mainly because there is no way to counter an enemy Koppocco faction from stealing your systems. The other two ways to get systems are to diplomatically offer buy them, which can be refused; or through military conquest, which can be fought off. This new option has no counter. I for one would be incredibly frustrated if I just started losing systems with no choice in the matter, even if I was compensated for it. But that's just me.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 17, 2016, 2:52:00 AM

Well, you can always declare war. And I'm almost certain that ES2 will give you something to manage you minorities, so that would be a counter for sure. If you ask me, I'd even say that the Koppocco would be a very diffcult faction to play as, because of the constant diplomatic tensions and the high expansion cost.

0Send private message
Comment