Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' , giant gasbags living in gas giants

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 5:12:16 AM

The name Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' roughly translates to "all of us".  The name is unpronounceable by most species as the Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' communicate by radio rather than sound waves.  The Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' evolved in a gas giant, giant, "floaters" that sifted nutrients from the clouds.   Not truly individuals a "single" uhu'askm'ren'hnk' is actually a colony, more akin to a Portuguese Man o' war.   Easily the largest sentient race yet discovered a single uhu'askm'ren'hnk' can measure over 100 meters in diameter.  This has led to the Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' possessing some of the largest starships in space, although with so much volume dedicated to living space their ships are, if anything, more fragile.  Due to the... distributed nature of their sapience and their evolution as grazers rather than predators the Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' lack a propensity for violence and place great value on cooperation. 

Faction Affinity: 

Mutual Benefit: can propose a treaty that would allow the Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' to colonize a gas giant held by another faction, even if they have colonized other worlds in the system.  In return the "host" faction would receive 50% of the FIDS produced by the planet 

Mutual Benefit mk. II:  can post a large (embassy/mining/colony?) ship in orbit around an ally/neutral owned system that contains at least 1 gas giant.  increases FIDS for that system by 10% for each gas giant in that system, the Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' gain bonuses depending on what module(s?) were built into the ship. bonuses decrease the further the system is from your territory (influence unlocked at start, FIDS unlocked at different techs later, maybe unlocks that grant copies of luxuries and strategic resources?)

"True" Planets: can colonise gas giants from the start, gets +3 population limit and +2 food on all gas giants and -1 pop limit on all worlds class I-III

Claustrophobia:  huge living spaces onboard ship impacts their structural integrity, -20% ship HP

All of Us:  evolving as living radios and Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' have developed sophisticated communication equipment to integrate their fleets,  for each faction they ally both the Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' and the allied faction gain +10% command points. (example: if they ally 2 factions each of the allied factions gains +10% while the Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' gain +20%)

From one, many:  the communal nature of their intelligence makes them adept at multitasking and distributed processing, the Uhu'askm'ren'hnk' can utilize drones (their version of fighters/bombers) and can fit twice as many aboard their ships

Double edged:  giant floaters make for poor "ground" troops:  suffer -50% penalties for all offensive ground operations, however get +25% defence on all systems with at least 1 gas giant

Unique Buildings:

Floating Refinery:  for gas giants only, gives bonus to production

Deep Forge:  gas giants only, uses pressure at core to conduct unique experiments, bonus to science

Cloud seeder: gas giants only, gives bonus to food and pop. cap

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 2:59:19 AM

the idea was to create a peaceful faction, but without an incentive to ally a peaceful faction in this game  is usually referred to as "food" or "dead". by giving military and econ bonuses it creates an incentive to be friendly, as it will make you more powerful vs other more aggressive factions.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 11:23:33 AM

I think shared ownership of systems isn't possible with our current design, although it may be possible to design something around this. 

Nice submission otherwise, I like that they occupy a different biological niche than most!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 8:05:41 PM

I agree with the dev, cool idea fitting into a well defined niche! I'm wondering how you could change the affinity to keep the same concept, but not break the coding of the game. Beyond that, I feel you do a good job of balancing the traits and making them incentivizing diplomacy.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 1:50:16 AM
Frogsquadron wrote:

I think shared ownership of systems isn't possible with our current design, although it may be possible to design something around this. 

Nice submission otherwise, I like that they occupy a different biological niche than most!

Thank you!   I admit I wasn't sure if this (shared ownership) was was possible.  

Updated with an alternate idea.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 24, 2016, 1:12:53 AM
carolean7 wrote:

A cool idea. I like it.

Thanks! I like yours a lot too.  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 26, 2016, 3:44:02 PM

I am curious, have you ever heard of the Science fiction author Ian Douglass? Your faction reminds me very much of one of his creations. Either way good luck in the contest. ^^

0Send private message
Comment