Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Equilibrium

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 11:00:20 AM

Hi folks! I apologize for the possible errors or bad terms used in this post. English isn't my first language, and even though I think I'm fluent enough to write correctly, I can make mistakes in my sentences. Feel free to correct me, or adjust my phrases so they sound better! Thank you! :)

Concept of the Equilibrium faction:

Its major particulatiry is that the entire faction, while fully functionnal, is composed of a single being. Everything is explained in the description, and I can try to devellop a bit further my explanation if someone judges the concept interesting. 

The idea is to befriend and become allies with most factions in a game, be it through influence, trades, or technology sharing. The stubborn or warmongering factions can then be either disarmed or anihilated with the help of those allies. The faction can't declare war directly, but can suggest allied factions to declare war against problematic factions.

This faction can provide a FIDS bonus to its allies; This encourages the other factions to either befriend it, or destroy it. 

Since the faction is composed of a single entity, there's no need for the Happiness ressource. It can be either suppressed completely, or replaced by a "Cohesion" ressource, with roughly the same effects on the gameplay. 

Faction affinity:

-No Happiness management

-Can't declare war

-Provides a FIDS bonus to allies

-If such ressource is implemented, significant Influence bonus

Description:

The Equilirium is a manifestation of the "Boltzmann Brain" occurence; A very specific and unusual set of conditions allowed the spontaneous creation of a shapeless, self-aware entity. This anomaly has no actual embodiment; it's in fact an association of energy and matter scattered in the void of space. However, the entity can include a small part of that sentience in various objects, by including a bit of its matter in said object composition. This allows the Equilibrium to control an actual shape, and thus to be able to interact with other species, exploit a planet's ressources, or defend itself. 

Due to its very essence, its ultimate goal is to bring a state of stability in the universe it lives in. Through millenia of evolution and observation, the Equilibrium understood that the other beings travelling the galaxy were a major source of trouble, and the only logical action would be to unite them all, so the chaos they provoke by fighting each other would cease, as their constant battles threatens the stability of the universe itself.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 12:46:57 PM

A problem with a non-physical faction is that lore-wise, they won't really have cause (or possibility) to be using much of the improvements the game offers (how does an ethereal being use a library, for instance?).

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 19, 2016, 9:02:03 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:

A problem with a non-physical faction is that lore-wise, they won't really have cause (or possibility) to be using much of the improvements the game offers (how does an ethereal being use a library, for instance?).

Well, that's one of the major drawbacks I thought about shortly after writing this post. You could always say that the entity learns mostly from progress of others, or can make scientific breakthrough pretty fast due to the huge processing power its condition allows is to exploit, but I have to admit, it would feel very hazy to the player. 

I've been reading a few posts, and I have to admit, there's a few people who included the whole "sentient, yet non-organic/robotic" concept way, way better than me. As a player, I just felt like a race with a different background, to the point of the entire conception of the "faction" appellation itself differs from the others would be a good idea. But I have to admit, there's people way more qualified than me to do this.

Good luck to you all! :)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 19, 2016, 9:36:38 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:

I'm curious if this a potential issue with a few of the other awesome sounding but more "abstract" factions submissions out there? E.g. living flames, sentient clouds, nanobots, fungus, and sentient planetoids, to name a few.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 19, 2016, 11:34:43 PM

I highly approve of creating a race designed around the divine being in "Godfellows" on Futurama, my good chum.

0Send private message
Comment