Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The WeatherKin (sentient clouds)

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Sep 2, 2016, 3:40:38 PM

Thanks to all who believed that the strange WeatherKin were just what ES2 needed to mix things up.  We came close, but promoting day and night for weeks could not compete with the advantages and popularity of the winner.  I've made lots of friends during all this, a few enemies, and have hopefully helped to inspire changes in future contests to keep them more balanced.  There have been lots of misunderstanding about my intentions, but overall I truly wanted something creative and original for ES2, and a fair contest system for all the deserving fans who worked hard on their entries.  Since the CloudFolk are not going to be part of the Endless universe, they have ascended to another plane of incomprehensible existence.  

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 2, 2016, 5:27:32 PM

And our hearts will sadden... all hail the Weatherkind !

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 17, 2016, 7:23:22 AM
EndlessCrashes wrote:

Just warning you, this reply will be rant-y.  So to address your suggestions:

-I suppose the WeatherKin could be in a Cold War to begin with, but they just don't understand it.  I guess it might be the opposite of the Cravers "Eternal War" trait how their only diplomatic action is to declare war.  Maybe the WeatherKin can only declare Peace or form Alliances.  I'm just not sure how to alter that any more.

-I have added a more thorough description of how planets would change when controlled by them, thanks for the idea!

-The WeatherKin might not 'feel' like a diplomatic powerhouse, but I think that is part of their charm.  I would say the Endless observed them taking over entire planets, flooding them, and spreading to other worlds like a strange beneficial virus.  I think that they are hard to understand could be fun in diplomacy.  Instead of completely understanding a faction you are dealing with, for example "Sure we'd love to join your alliance!" or "You have angered us!" the Weatherkin reply would just be a description, like "The clouds for long tendrils that swarm around you." or "The wind blows furiously as lightning crashes nearby."  This would leave the player to determine what exactly the WeatherKin are trying to say, instead of it being in clear english.  

I'd say they would interact with Minor Factions just fine, even though they are flooding the planets, I'm sure any Minor Faction could eventually migrate to the islands left on an Ocean world.  The WeatherKin government/senate would be hard to describe.  They operate like a planet wide organism and rarely form what could be considered individuals.  I'm not really sure how that system works so that would need to be something the devs would have to think of. 

I added a little bit to make it more clear on how to calm the WeatherKin down after being at War, thanks for the suggestion!  I also made it clear that they do not understand and cannot declare a Cease Fire, Cold War, or War, but it can be declared on them.  Also, factions at peace with them gain a continuous  bonus aside from the anomaly.  I also made it clearer that the WeatherKin do not offer trades, only rainfall, but other factions can request trades for their tech if at Peace or an Alliance.  They do not offer trades because they generally don't seem to care about possessions.  The whole 'diplomatic pacifist' theme is something I am trying to mess with, as it is a purely human trait that pacifists are diplomatic.  This may require a drastic restructuring of the tech trees, like with the Harmony.

I got my inspiration from books by Stanislaw Lem, Solaris and Fiasco to be precise.  I'm not sure if you have heard of those books, but I can summarize.  In Solaris, scientists discover a strange gas-like planet and are studying it, but cannot understand it.  It seems to react to being observed, and eventually strange clones of people the scientists know start to appear on their space station.  The clones have no idea what Solaris is trying to do either.  Eventually the people on the space station are driven insane and some become suicidal.  In Fiasco, a space ship is sent to a far away planet to make first contact with its inhabitants.  Only the aliens on the planet have absolutely no interest in talking to the humans.  The alien technology is so confusing to them than they eventually start responding with hostility, and damage a good portion of the alien world.  In both books, the alien forms are never truly seen nor are they understood, leading to disastrous results.  I would say my idea of WeatherKin is a more positive, peaceful spin on that kind of alien encounter.

-And finally, your disapproval with my cloud-bumping.  I have two basic goals with my involvement with this contest.

1. To introduce a truly alien faction and win the contest!  (Highly unlikely at this point)

2. Demonstrate how there are unfair aspects of the G2G system lately.  (I'm probably one of the few who actually care)

DevilDog keep bumping his post through comments, and I'm sure he knows it is getting more attention.  He already has over twice the votes of 2nd place and three times the views of second place.  I havent found the G2G forum rules against that, do you have a link to them?  If it is against the rules, maybe they shouldn't allow contest posts to be moved to the top with every comment.  Its pretty unfair for a contest forum, posts should stay in order of posting date.  Its also unfair that for some reason we can vote for the entries this early, before people have even posted their faction ideas.  That is one of my main issues of this recent quest.  He was one of the first posters, and his entry has soaked up tons of votes. People are still posting faction ideas, and they aren't getting a fair chance at getting viewers and votes.  Most people have already voted for the Unfallen, and they arent going to unvote and vote for another.  Any undecided voters are going to see that the Unfallen is likely to win and they will vote for that.  Its likely they wont even read any new entries. They should have allowed all entries to be posted, had a deadline, and then allowed voting after that, just like they did in earlier contests.  Unfallen is going to win, and its unfair to other people.  I think its a cool idea, Treefolk in Space, but isnt entirely original and doesnt bring that much new to the Endless universe.  I've barely got 90 views so I dont think my bumping is really helping or people really care if its unsportsmanly.

I also dont agree with how the Quest contest was hijacked by someone who carried over the popular vote from the Dilemma contest by using basically the same plotline.  It gave the other entries an unfair disadvantage and no chance at all to succeed.  Had the winner posted an entirely new plotline for the Quest contest, that would have given us all an equal chance.  Also, you werent allowed to vote early, and when polling was finally allowed that popular guy posted and soaked up most of the voters who probably didnt even bother reading other entries.  I found the winner of the Quest contest to be too unoriginal, basic, and traditional, and added nothing really new to the Endless universe. I wanted something that broke the mold!

Perhaps the devs will notice my complaints and change the following contests back to the old system.  Or they will just think I am a sore loser.  Either way, I think my points are valid.  I love the way they handle their games, don't like how they handle the contests.  As these Amplitude games get more popular, and there are more contests and entries, these small things that are unfair will give certain people more votes overall. Really, the devs should be the ones picking the finalists, as it is their game and they know what fits best, then let the final 3 be voted on by the people.

And I could upvote you, but what would that really accomplish?  You have an interesting entry, not groundbreaking, doesnt bring much new to the game, but fits the theme more traditionally than mine.  You have more views than me, and are close in the vote score.  If I upvoted you, then you would be close to beating me!  I'm trying to win, lol.  If we all vote for each other, how will there be a winner?  How many times can we vote? Would either of us really benefit from me upvoting you?  I dont wanna comment on other posts just to get return votes.

So, thanks if you read through my entire rant.  I'm glad a few people is interested in my faction idea, and that you have suggestions to improve it, which I have tried to apply.  But we need to accept that the Unfallen will probably win, and the rest of us didnt get a fair chance due to early voting.

As much as it does come off as ranting I do kinda have to agree with you on this one. I do like the Unfallen as an idea but I have seen a few better (In my opinion) submissions with a fraction of the score and page time. It does seem like there's been a bit of a bad wagon effect happen. I also agree with you on how the entry itself is not amazingly ground breaking or innovates on the Theme of the contest. I know the feeling of sitting down a puzzling out a cool unique idea (Egalitarian Nomads) only to realize that your idea is being ignored in favor of sentient space trees. 

At the same time while I do think that Devildog has put a lot of thought into the idea, the fact that his submission has only left the front page maybe once or twice has certainly contributed to the massive score. In fact the Only major thing that I don't like about the contest is the fact that we vote with our G2G Score rather than just showing how many individual votes each submission has, giving some people a hugely unfair advantage and importance in the contest.  

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 11:28:51 AM

Curious as to how you would win playing the WeatherKin? Their gameplay seems to favor Dust production, are they just angling for an Economic victory?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 1:56:40 PM

That is an interesting question!  I tend to turn off score and economic victories in my Endless Space/Legend games.  Do Pacifists have to be partial to Diplomatic victories?  I will alter the WeatherKin's Incomprehensible defect if so. Otherwise, I would say a Scientific victory would suit them the best. Their ability to operate machinery and learn new technologies is the most defined of their confusing mannerisms. But Economic would work as well, even though I did not intend for that.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 6:16:39 PM

A very cool and unique idea here. I like it a lot! Haven't seen anything like it yet.

In ES2, planets are shared with other factions, how will these survive/grow if food is converted into dust? Also, I feel like the traits are awesome but don't necessarily fit the "diplomatic pacifists" theme. Could you make some alterations to have it fit the contest more, while preserving the lore you already have? I would hate for this to be rejected for this reason.

Also, be careful defining what they look like too much, as I think this is reserved for part II of the contest.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 7:15:12 PM

I was originally going to post a plant-like faction, but several entries beat me to it and are clearly winning, so I decided to go for something more unique that hadn't been posted yet.  I keep trying to suggest different creative ideas for ES2 from great sci-fi books I've read, but people seem to be going for more traditional things. 

I described how the WeatherKin coexist peacefully with other factions, and only convert  they have personally grown into .   I would add that they seem to recognize how other factions live and primarily reward them with beneficial rainfall to help them thrive, and only flood the worlds they control directly, probably leaving a few islands for any minor factions.

I think their non-violent nature shows that they are primarily Pacifists, and they can engage in Peace and Alliances.  Being Diplomatic is slightly limited because they are so hard to understand, but just now I edited the Incomprehensible defect slightly to allow them to continue trading while at Peace or in an Alliance.  I just think that they are so alien in their expressions that other Factions would not recognize an offer of Peace or an Alliance from the WeatherKin directly, but they obviously respond positively if offered such.  Any suggestions from the Devs or other members here are welcome.

And I'm not really trying to define what they look like with the pictures, just giving examples of what one might see if they met one, and how hard to interpret they can be.  Also I'm trying to keep my post bumped since these forums keep moving the most recently commented post up top, and those posts are getting the most views.  Thanks for your comments, you seem quite involved in this contest!

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 16, 2016, 3:02:07 PM

I still find this a neat creative idea, but I have some more suggestions:

• "Cold war" is really just a "neutral" state factions begin in. So their faction trait of not being able to declare it leaves a gap between war and peace, i.e. the neutral state.
  • For the "Constant Rainfall" trait, maybe make the planets follow some sort of order, guided by what is layed out in the GDD here. For instance, going from a lava to terran planet is a big first jump.
  • I like the idea of a semi-formless cloud-like species, but their lore sets them up to feel more like a minor faction rather than major. They don't feel right to be a galactic main stage diplomatic powerhouse because you have restricted them to not being able to understand/communicate with other factions. So how will minor factions be included in their empire? How will their government and senate work (a new central feature in ES2)? If it is "hard to convince them to return to peace", how does that fit the "diplomatic pacifist" theme set by the contest? Once a faction has made peace with the Weatherkin and received the anomaly bonus, is there never again any benefit to making peace with them?

And Finally, careful with the cloud-bumping you are doing. Though not strictly stated in the rules, this feels unsportsmanlike. Stick to trying to get more votes by either improving your idea or participating in discussions of other factions (people may return the favor *cough cough*). 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 17, 2016, 4:16:19 AM

Just warning you, this reply will be rant-y.  So to address your suggestions:

-I suppose the WeatherKin could be in a Cold War to begin with, but they just don't understand it.  I guess it might be the opposite of the Cravers "Eternal War" trait how their only diplomatic action is to declare war.  Maybe the WeatherKin can only declare Peace or form Alliances.  I'm just not sure how to alter that any more.

-I have added a more thorough description of how planets would change when controlled by them, thanks for the idea!

-The WeatherKin might not 'feel' like a diplomatic powerhouse, but I think that is part of their charm.  I would say the Endless observed them taking over entire planets, flooding them, and spreading to other worlds like a strange beneficial virus.  I think that they are hard to understand could be fun in diplomacy.  Instead of completely understanding a faction you are dealing with, for example "Sure we'd love to join your alliance!" or "You have angered us!" the Weatherkin reply would just be a description, like "The clouds for long tendrils that swarm around you." or "The wind blows furiously as lightning crashes nearby."  This would leave the player to determine what exactly the WeatherKin are trying to say, instead of it being in clear english.  

I'd say they would interact with Minor Factions just fine, even though they are flooding the planets, I'm sure any Minor Faction could eventually migrate to the islands left on an Ocean world.  The WeatherKin government/senate would be hard to describe.  They operate like a planet wide organism and rarely form what could be considered individuals.  I'm not really sure how that system works so that would need to be something the devs would have to think of. 

I added a little bit to make it more clear on how to calm the WeatherKin down after being at War, thanks for the suggestion!  I also made it clear that they do not understand and cannot declare a Cease Fire, Cold War, or War, but it can be declared on them.  Also, factions at peace with them gain a continuous  bonus aside from the anomaly.  I also made it clearer that the WeatherKin do not offer trades, only rainfall, but other factions can request trades for their tech if at Peace or an Alliance.  They do not offer trades because they generally don't seem to care about possessions.  The whole 'diplomatic pacifist' theme is something I am trying to mess with, as it is a purely human trait that pacifists are diplomatic.  This may require a drastic restructuring of the tech trees, like with the Harmony.

I got my inspiration from books by Stanislaw Lem, Solaris and Fiasco to be precise.  I'm not sure if you have heard of those books, but I can summarize.  In Solaris, scientists discover a strange gas-like planet and are studying it, but cannot understand it.  It seems to react to being observed, and eventually strange clones of people the scientists know start to appear on their space station.  The clones have no idea what Solaris is trying to do either.  Eventually the people on the space station are driven insane and some become suicidal.  In Fiasco, a space ship is sent to a far away planet to make first contact with its inhabitants.  Only the aliens on the planet have absolutely no interest in talking to the humans.  The alien technology is so confusing to them than they eventually start responding with hostility, and damage a good portion of the alien world.  In both books, the alien forms are never truly seen nor are they understood, leading to disastrous results.  I would say my idea of WeatherKin is a more positive, peaceful spin on that kind of alien encounter.

-And finally, your disapproval with my cloud-bumping.  I have two basic goals with my involvement with this contest.

1. To introduce a truly alien faction and win the contest!  (Highly unlikely at this point)

2. Demonstrate how there are unfair aspects of the G2G system lately.  (I'm probably one of the few who actually care)

DevilDog keep bumping his post through comments, and I'm sure he knows it is getting more attention.  He already has over twice the votes of 2nd place and three times the views of second place.  I havent found the G2G forum rules against that, do you have a link to them?  If it is against the rules, maybe they shouldn't allow contest posts to be moved to the top with every comment.  Its pretty unfair for a contest forum, posts should stay in order of posting date.  Its also unfair that for some reason we can vote for the entries this early, before people have even posted their faction ideas.  That is one of my main issues of this recent quest.  He was one of the first posters, and his entry has soaked up tons of votes. People are still posting faction ideas, and they aren't getting a fair chance at getting viewers and votes.  Most people have already voted for the Unfallen, and they arent going to unvote and vote for another.  Any undecided voters are going to see that the Unfallen is likely to win and they will vote for that.  Its likely they wont even read any new entries. They should have allowed all entries to be posted, had a deadline, and then allowed voting after that, just like they did in earlier contests.  Unfallen is going to win, and its unfair to other people.  I think its a cool idea, Treefolk in Space, but isnt entirely original and doesnt bring that much new to the Endless universe.  I've barely got 90 views so I dont think my bumping is really helping or people really care if its unsportsmanly.

I also dont agree with how the Quest contest was hijacked by someone who carried over the popular vote from the Dilemma contest by using basically the same plotline.  It gave the other entries an unfair disadvantage and no chance at all to succeed.  Had the winner posted an entirely new plotline for the Quest contest, that would have given us all an equal chance.  Also, you werent allowed to vote early, and when polling was finally allowed that popular guy posted and soaked up most of the voters who probably didnt even bother reading other entries.  I found the winner of the Quest contest to be too unoriginal, basic, and traditional, and added nothing really new to the Endless universe. I wanted something that broke the mold!

Perhaps the devs will notice my complaints and change the following contests back to the old system.  Or they will just think I am a sore loser.  Either way, I think my points are valid.  I love the way they handle their games, don't like how they handle the contests.  As these Amplitude games get more popular, and there are more contests and entries, these small things that are unfair will give certain people more votes overall. Really, the devs should be the ones picking the finalists, as it is their game and they know what fits best, then let the final 3 be voted on by the people.

And I could upvote you, but what would that really accomplish?  You have an interesting entry, not groundbreaking, doesnt bring much new to the game, but fits the theme more traditionally than mine.  You have more views than me, and are close in the vote score.  If I upvoted you, then you would be close to beating me!  I'm trying to win, lol.  If we all vote for each other, how will there be a winner?  How many times can we vote? Would either of us really benefit from me upvoting you?  I dont wanna comment on other posts just to get return votes.

So, thanks if you read through my entire rant.  I'm glad a few people is interested in my faction idea, and that you have suggestions to improve it, which I have tried to apply.  But we need to accept that the Unfallen will probably win, and the rest of us didnt get a fair chance due to early voting.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 3:46:27 AM

Thanks for the comments!  Its good to see others agree that this contest is unfair, both with the early voting and the uneven G2G scores giving an advantage to some.  There should have been a voting period after the entry deadline, and all votes prior to the final round should just count as one point.  I'm trying to raise awareness on this issue and hopefully the devs will take notice.  Unfortunetly, even if they do make things more fair, the unfair Quest and Faction contests added the most to ES2 and any following contests wont be offering the chance to add such a large addition to the game.  Its too late now and the rest of us don't have a chance against the Unfallen.

I read over your faction idea, and its pretty cool!  You put a lot of detail into it.  I like how they can pass through any area and ignore blockades.  Kinda like how my WeatherKin don't understand Closed Borders.  It takes an aspect of the game and puts a unique spin on it, something I really want to see in ES2.  

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 9:43:47 AM

Like the new constant rain fall trait. Very neat, do gas giants under go the same transformation? Also 5 turns seems a bit quick, 10 maybe? If Gas Giants don't then they would seem like the best bet for industry and dust production, making the Weatherkin player value them more than usual.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 3:06:15 PM

Yeah I did think of doing 10 turns per transformation, but 50 turns for a type 4 planet to change to ocean seemed a bit too long in a basic 300 turn game.  I wanted it to be both a benefit and detriment, for example of a WeatherKin player really wanted a lot of Lava planets for , they would have to constantly terraform their worlds back into Lava.  Gas Giants wouldn't automatically terraform, as lots of rain wouldn't naturally alter their structure, and as a gas-like lifeform, the WeatherKin would enjoy living on them.  This, along with asteroids, would leave the player with at least a few places where they could have a stable source of , , and .  

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 19, 2016, 5:54:42 PM

Hi, i like your idea - very creative and nice lore.

However i dont think they would be a very good major race.

First of all they lack any drive of domination or agenda, except for making it rain (dust, hehe). They feel more like a (sentient) force of nature.

Also they are extremely powerful. The inherent terraforming mechanic means that there are no more shitty planets, simply wait 5 turns and it will be better. After 25 turns it will be the best for the race.

That they dont need any food is also a positive thing, as you can focus on other things.

The negative traits of the race would be that you can only build ships when you are at war ( i dont think you mean cold war, as you are automatically in cold war once you meet another race). What about pirates? They are lore-wise also a threat.

Always open borders + no warships also means that they are very fragile to rush attacks.

But the main point why they would not be good as a major race is... there are only 2 options to win - economic victory and research victory.

You cannot initiate trade - no diplomatic victory.

You cannot go to war - no domination victory and it is very unlikely to get an expansion victory.

This makes them incredibly passive and i think not that much fun to play - sorry.

I would welcome them as a minor race or as an event.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 19, 2016, 7:40:06 PM

Thanks for your comments!  I enjoy when people point out the potential flaws.  

-I would say the extremely alien nature makes it so their agenda is hard to interpret, but I think that gives them a certain charm that the player can figure out by molding their playstyle around the WeatherKin's attributes.  They could be compared to elementals I suppose, which is a sentient form of nature.  

-Yes the Constant Rain is their most powerful ability, and I would say their main faction attribute.  But it can also be their biggest flaw if the player is trying to work with other planet types.  I think this attribute is balanced out by their flaws.

-I guess the Limited Ships flaw could use some work.  I have adjusted it based on your suggestions, thanks!  Yes the WeatherKin are vulnerable to attacks, because they are inherently peaceful and initially view all lifeforms as a potential ally.  

-FrogSquadron did point out that the victory condition seemed to be economically based, and I added that scientific victory would also fit them well.  Any other victories just didnt really fit, but I do feel a Diplomatic victory is possible as well.  I just wanted to put a different spin on the Diplomatic Pacifist theme.  The WeatherKin can accept trades, and can also offer Peace and Alliances, so it might work in a slightly limited form.  Yes it does make them passive, that is part of their nature.  It may not fit everyone's preference, I am aware.  But I find the idea of sentient weather taking over entire star systems to be intriguing.  

Thank you for your honest opinion!  The WeatherKin respond with this:

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
Comment