Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Jaskans (cephalopods pacifists based on mimetism)

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 9:45:18 AM

Bio

Once a discreet and evasive ocean-dwelling species who relied on powerful chromatophores for protection, the Jaskans are cephalopods gifted with exceptionnal mimetism, who rose to sentience and quickly became masters of their homeworld. 

Using both their physical capacities for mirroring other races traits and a keen intellect in reproducing their behavior, they developped an entire society based on the defusing of conflict through communication and manipulation. More than just avoiding conflict with potential enemies and predators, the Jaskan society use their knowledge of other races to enrich their own, making the Jaskans seek other cultures and other races actively, almost to a fault. 

Having fully explored their home planet and learned all they could from its species, they logically turned to the stars, eager to find new entities to meet.

Affinity

- Adaptive Evolution : Masters of mimetism and quick learners, the Jaskans are able to replicate the traits from their allies, albeit in a reduced version (think 50% from either race affinity or their biggest trait).

- Masters of Mimetism : Thanks to their capacity to mimic and decrypt other living beings, Jaskan get a positive standing with any faction they encounter. (Maybe add a modifier related to diplomatic pressure to allow for long term benefits in the diplomacy game)

- Ocean affinity : +3 pop on Oceanic planets

Gameplay

The gameplay for this faction would be first and foremost to seek other factions and try to get as much allies as possible to enhance their traits library, eventually surfing on which allies to keep and which to let go based on the state of the game and where they stand in their alliances (should I keep sophons close as it's time for research and exploration, or should I declare in favor of another faction against them if the need arise for I can get better bonuses this way ?). In any case the faction would ideally play the diplomacy game first and foremost by maintaining a strong position in a large federation, allowing them to keep everybody together and manipulating factions into a durable status quo, reaping benefits from their adaptive evolution trait and eventually rushing a non aggressive victory condition.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 15, 2016, 9:52:28 PM

Neat idea. I like their adaptability theme, and how it feeds into them being pacifist and diplomatic. I'm curious how their Adaptive Evolution affinity is applied, on the empire scale or for each population of Jaskan? And is it obvious which trait is being mimicked when choosing a faction to mimic? Also, you say they get a positive standing with other factions they mimic, but diplomatic pressure is a mechanic that allows you to make demands from other factions, which does the opposite. Could you clarify this a bit?

Also, are there any traits that penalize them going to war and forces them to have a strong diplomatic presence? For instance, in my submission, they gain War exhaustion quicker.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 12:56:01 PM
carolean7 wrote:

Neat idea. I like their adaptability theme, and how it feeds into them being pacifist and diplomatic. I'm curious how their Adaptive Evolution affinity is applied, on the empire scale or for each population of Jaskan? And is it obvious which trait is being mimicked when choosing a faction to mimic? Also, you say they get a positive standing with other factions they mimic, but diplomatic pressure is a mechanic that allows you to make demands from other factions, which does the opposite. Could you clarify this a bit?

Also, are there any traits that penalize them going to war and forces them to have a strong diplomatic presence? For instance, in my submission, they gain War exhaustion quicker.

Hey thanks for taking interest in my proposition. It's obviously less fleshed out than yours (which I like a lot), so I'll try to do my best to adress your questions :

- It's an interesting question concerning the obviousness of the trait, as effectively "the biggest trait" can be vague. Copying race affinity is less so however. It'd be an interesting idea though to have a random element to the trait being copied, chosing one among the major traits from the faction (and by major I mean "most expensive" from the trait catalog). It'd also legitimize befriending several different empires from the same faction to potentially benefit from several different bonuses.

- Adaptive Evolution would be applied on an empire scale, as you're basically copying empire scale traits/boons. The idea being that the Jaskans are copying skills and behavioral procedures, impacting their whole society (including potential non Jaskans assimilated populations).

- My bad for being unclear about diplomatic pressure. What I meant is to get a bonus to influence generation, therefore giving you an edge at diplomatic manipulation through diplomatic pressure (among other benefits).

As per the penalties, there obviously need to be some, especially to deter them from turning to fighting, using the potential military traits they could inherit from their allies. Your War Exhaustion idea seems like a very sensible one, so would be a solid additional malus on approval for each ongoing war. I didn't want to put too much emphasis on balance, not knowing the exact reach of the positives in numerical terms. But there are obviously a lot of very good thematic options to balance the Jaskan faction.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
Comment