Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Molten: Some like it hot

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 16, 2016, 9:56:42 AM

The Molten: Scorching hot creatures created by opposing wills, setting out to fulfill the wish of their creators

History: 

“The story of the Molten begins on a small research station in the orbit of a far out planet during the great war of the Endless. Concrete scientist where working on a secret project, trying to create new forms of new semi-biotic life forms to help them turn the tides against their Virtual foes. 

Suddenly all the station lights went out, utter darkness. A dim golden glimmer appeared, growing into a large stream of Dust in mere seconds. The Virtual had found them. The Dust and the commanding Virtual raged through the systems of the station, destroying all life support and almost all of the Concrete’s hard work. The station creaked as the attacker’s destroyed the gravity control. With the resisting force destroyed, the planet’s gravitational grip pulled the station to its surface, swallowing it whole in its streams of fiery lava.

Under the heavy pressure of the planets core, the Dust reacted with the debris of the assault, fusing the minds of Virtual and Concrete into a new form. Born from the free, wandering mind of the Virtual and the Concrete’s strong will to survive, were the Molten, unified by the only thought their creators agreed upon; true peace.”

Faction-Specific Traits:

• Chiseled Mantra: The thought of  declaring war creates wild anomalies in the thinking of the Molten resulting in a -(45-90%) reduction in industry and a -X decrease in approval for 50 turns when declaring war. Cannot attack in the state of a Cold War.

• Molten Shell: Molten Ships have a lava outer shell, that cools down when in space. Hot ships gain a slight increase in damage and increased movement. When travelling their shell cools down, giving them a bonus to their defenses at a cost of decreased movement. Staying near lava planets re-heats the ship.

• Mineral Nourishment: Being made from molten ore and minerals, the Molten do not use Food as a resource. New population is acquired by paying a price of Strategic resources.

• Core Manipulation: The Molten can transform arid and desert planets into lava planets at a high cost.

• Special Faction Buildings: Spires: The Molten can construct large crystal spires from one of the Strategic Resources, granting a bonus depending on the spire built. The bonus is granted for all nearby planets, with a greater bonus to other factions, depending on their political stance towards the Molten. The starting limit is 1 spire but more can be built by having alliances with other factions (and maybe research?). Spires can only be built on lava planets.

• Crimson Glow: +X to diplomatic pressure per orbiting Molten ship around enemy planets

• Warm Welcome: The Molten homeworld produces a stock pile of Industry every X turns that can be aquired by their allies. The amount of the gift can be altered by the Molten player for every ally individual.

• Crystal telepathy: -X influence cost to diplomatic measures if the other faction engaged in trade with the Molten recently (X turns).

Gameplay:

The Molten do not force their political will onto other factions, they rather appeal through their benefits for all parties involved. Building the spires is costly and might need a helping hand from their allies but is a way to show benevolence between partners. The Molten are good explorers on a small scale but have to reconsider their way back when travelling too far. Playing together with a Molten ally requires helping each other and should give a strong incentive to protect the Molten and to see that they also thrive. 

Relying heavily on their supply of Strategic Resources, there is an ongoing internal conflict about what to spend these on; population, spires, trade or weapons?

Apart from a diplomatic victory, a Wonder victory is suggested.

Feel free to ask questions or correct my English

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 16, 2016, 3:51:23 PM

Very cool idea. Haven't seen anything like it. One of the most unique. I'm going to keep and eye on this for sure.

I'm curious, you say they are peaceful in lore and gameplay, but the traits don't necessarily encourage this. Gameplay wise they don't really feel like "diplomatic pacifists". Could some additional traits or a faction affinity encourage this style? Many other submissions have creative ideas on how to do this, feel free to check out mine for one such example. You have a great base concept, I want to see what can be done here.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 16, 2016, 8:15:23 PM

Thank you for your productive feedback! I have added some more traits to my post, hopefully adding more diplomatic depth to my idea.

I am trying to encourage a give-take playstyle where your allies see that you thrive so you can bring peace and prosperity to all.

Forcing diplomatic actions on allies is kind of a break of trust imo.

I have read your submission and I have to say that I like the idea of this melting-pot mindset. Reminds me of liberal Cultists

Your playstyle is very tailored to diplomatic players and seems like it grants many tools.

For me, I'm not very satisfied with only politics that's why my Molten also let you build and trade apart from spreading peace.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 19, 2016, 1:30:51 PM

Looks pretty cool. I'm intrigued. Bring on the molten rock people!

0Send private message
Comment