Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Ecollai. Sentient little planets.

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 6:38:57 AM

Faction name: Ecollai

Description: The Ecollai look like terrestrial globes with vine like tendrils coming out of it for movement and interaction. The diameters of the Ecollais can range from less than a meter to several kilometers.

Each Ecollai is a semi-self-sufficient ecosystem. A psychic field holds all the rocks, soil, minerals and moisture to sustain itself in place, with various plant lives (such as the above mentioned tendril vines) and other animals inhabiting it. Each life form is connected to each other by a complicated network of verbal, gestural, chemical, electrical, and psychic communication (which can be used to communicate with non-Ecollai as well), and their consensus forms the will of each individual Ecollai. Though this makes communication between Ecollais rather hideous and taxing, it also means that they’re diplomatic geniuses when talking to other factions, since negotiating with a few diplomats is much easier than the diplomacy within themselves.

The Ecollais have a simple purpose: to let more life forms inhabit them. Once they could find no more volunteers on their home planet, they turned their attention to the stars. Thankfully some of their inhabitants were smart enough to invent interstellar travel.

Faction traits:

Peaceful: The Ecollai see all life forms as potential inhabitants of themselves, thus they cannot/will not declare war on them.  

Diplomatic genius: They gain bonuses when negotiating with other factions. (And perhaps can force treaty on other factions)

Self contained ecosystem: Since they’re semi-self sufficient, they can survive in almost any environment. This allows them to colonize almost any planet type from the beginning.

Assimilation: The Ecollais are very skilled at persuading even civilized species to join and inhabit them. Some claim it’s a form of brain wash enabled by their vast and powerful collective mind. Other attribute it to the fact that most Ecollais are simply pleasant to live on. (Basically they’ll “steal” other factions’ population from time to time. The greater the approval difference between the Ecollai and its neighbors, the more frequent this population steal occurs.)

Release containment: The Ecollai can lift the psychic barrier holding themselves together and let itself be “absorbed” by the planet, accelerating the speed of Terra forming. (Like they can sacrifice population to gain boost in food and industry)   

Environmentalists: Seeing the actual planets as rather large, but silent Ecollais, they refrain from harming the environment, thus have lower industry output.

Small scale application: Since they're pretty much tiny planets, they can apply some of the tech used on the actual planet to themselves, making them more attractive to live on. (Like they have a bonus in approval whenever a improvement was built or something?) 

PS. Their “Ships” would be basically large Ecollais covered in armor plates and propulsion system. Or maybe have these little “satellites” and “orbital platforms” surrounding them.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 7:40:45 AM

Hey man nice submission, for some reason it gives me a little prince vibe. Have a vote! Pretty much the opposite of my idea, where as my idea doesn't use planets your people are the planets! Quick question though, the Assimilation trait states that the greater the approval difference between them and the other faction the more frequent they steal pop. So does that mean that at factions at war with them bleed pop or am I missing something?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 9:32:13 AM
balancer12 wrote:

Hey man nice submission, for some reason it gives me a little prince vibe. Have a vote! Pretty much the opposite of my idea, where as my idea doesn't use planets your people are the planets! Quick question though, the Assimilation trait states that the greater the approval difference between them and the other faction the more frequent they steal pop. So does that mean that at factions at war with them bleed pop or am I missing something?

Thanks for the vote. As with the assimilation trait, it's probably an issue with my wording. My idea is that since they're so nice to live on( represented by high approval) , people from neighboring factions would migrate to live on them willingly. Obviously if the neighbors have lower approvals in the empire (meaning their people are unhappy), they're more likely to abandon their home to live on Ecollais. So the pop steal happens regardless of whether you're at war with them or not. If anything the Ecollai would probably work almost like the Drakken, in the sense that they'll force a peace on you (with their diplomatic genius), then bleed your population dry with "assimilation", spend that population with "release containment" to boost their production, maintain high approval with "small scale application" and perhaps other unique techs which makes the approval difference even larger, and the cycle continue. So it's really a "passive aggressive" faction. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 9:33:48 AM
chiahalu wrote:
balancer12 wrote:

Thanks for the vote. As with the assimilation trait, it's probably an issue with my wording. My idea is that since they're so nice to live on( represented by high approval) , people from neighboring factions would migrate to live on them willingly. Obviously if the neighbors have lower approvals in the empire (meaning their people are unhappy), they're more likely to abandon their home to live on Ecollais. So the pop steal happens regardless of whether you're at war with them or not. If anything the Ecollai would probably work almost like the Drakken, in the sense that they'll force a peace on you (with their diplomatic genius), then bleed your population dry with "assimilation", spend that population with "release containment" to boost their production, maintain high approval with "small scale application" and perhaps other unique techs which makes the approval difference even larger, and the cycle continue. So it's really a "passive aggressive" faction. 

Damn that's cool

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 9:17:59 PM

Very unique and cool idea. My biggest concern, and one that I have with a few other submissions, is that they cannot declare war. Though this feels great lore-wise, it needs a counter/alternative gameplay-wise. I make a case for why in a later post in my submission.

Also, not sure if your concept here works: "... then bleed your population dry with "assimilation", (then) spend that population with "release containment" to boost their production...". Because populations in ES2 are specific to each faction, and is not general like in ES1.

Overall, very creative though.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 18, 2016, 10:51:41 PM
carolean7 wrote:

Very unique and cool idea. My biggest concern, and one that I have with a few other submissions, is that they cannot declare war. Though this feels great lore-wise, it needs a counter/alternative gameplay-wise. I make a case for why in a later post in my submission.

Also, not sure if your concept here works: "... then bleed your population dry with "assimilation", (then) spend that population with "release containment" to boost their production...". Because populations in ES2 are specific to each faction, and is not general like in ES1.

Thanks for the reply. I understand your concern regarding their inability to declare war. While I won't deny that it was more of a lore based choice than a game mechanical one, I found it compliments the "pop bleed" mechanic I came up for them. Instead of fighting you they'll bleed your systems dry of pop making them worthless or even detrimental to your empire to maintain. As for the issue with the difference between how pop work in ES1 and ES2. I apologize for my ignorance regarding how pop mechanics works in ES2. Perhaps it'd be difficult to represent the migration of people from one empire to another , but there must be tons of ways we can represent this mechanically, like a  loss in Food production and approval in the systems neighboring the Ecollai while the Ecollai gains a food boost or something. 

In any case if by some rare cosmic coincidence the Ecollai got implemented in the game, I'm sure the brilliant minds of Amplitude would figure something out.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 19, 2016, 1:57:01 AM
chiahalu wrote:
carolean7 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I understand your concern regarding their inability to declare war. While I won't deny that it was more of a lore based choice than a game mechanical one, I found it compliments the "pop bleed" mechanic I came up for them. Instead of fighting you they'll bleed your systems dry of pop making them worthless or even detrimental to your empire to maintain. As for the issue with the difference between how pop work in ES1 and ES2. I apologize for my ignorance regarding how pop mechanics works in ES2. Perhaps it'd be difficult to represent the migration of people from one empire to another , but there must be tons of ways we can represent this mechanically, like a  loss in Food production and approval in the systems neighboring the Ecollai while the Ecollai gains a food boost or something. 

In any case if by some rare cosmic coincidence the Ecollai got implemented in the game, I'm sure the brilliant minds of Amplitude would figure something out.

Actually, migration between systems is implemented in ES2 through propaganda (see game design document links in my submission), so you're in luck! So my guess is you could have the Ecollai build on this feature, maybe have their own special form of "propaganda", like I do in my submission? Either way, cool stuff. Keep it up!

0Send private message
Comment