Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Major Faction Contest] The Conglomerate Republic of United Species and Systems (C.R.U.S.S)

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 20, 2016, 10:57:54 PM

The Conglomerate Republic of United 

Species and Systems

(C.R.U.S.S)

Gameplay

NAME
TYPE
EFFECT
LORE
Barren
Home Planet
The C.R.U.S.S begin on a Barren planetTo construct Havens the C.R.U.S.S require a lot of space and Barren planets do just that.
Help the cause
Affinity
Allows the ability to force a faction, with whom you are at peace or allied with, to give you resources for free for only 1000 influence
Being such masters of diplomacy and trade, the C.R.U.S.S are able to acquire the resources they need to construct Havens.
Join the cause
Trait
+1 population
+10% influence
for every allied faction, per system

To build Havens the C.R.U.S.S require a larger workforce.
A peaceful galaxy
Trait
+5 approval
for every faction you are at peace with, per system

The C.R.U.S.S have no need for war for they value peace above all else.
We must remain focused
Trait
-20% food
-20% science
+10% production
per system

The C.R.U.S.S heavily rely on the hard work and craftsmanship of their citizens, seemingly neglecting scientific advancement and agriculture.
Diplomat’s Charm
Trait
Starts with the ability to make peace with other factions
The C.R.U.S.S believe that by creating peaceful relations with others, they will be able to reach their goals much quicker.
Traders
Trait
+50% Trade Routes bonus
per system

The C.R.U.S.S are masters of Trade, allowing them to get the most out of their deals.
A distaste for war
Trait
-10% food
-10% dust
-20% production
-10% science
-10 approval
-10% influence
whenever you are at war with a faction, per system

The citizens of C.R.U.S.S are well accustomed to living at peace with the other organisms that inhabit the galaxy, too accustomed in fact, that they are not able to fully cope with the fear of being under attack at any given moment.
A warm welcome
Trait
+2 minor faction slots
Starts with the ability to assimilate minor factions via peaceful means
The only way the C.R.U.S.S can grow in power is by recruiting other species and systems to their cause.
Haven sector
Star System Improvement
More info below
More info below
Haven
Star System Improvement
More info below
More info below

Biography

Said to have been the result of two great factions coming to an agreement of peace, the many races of the Conglomerate Republic of United Species and Systems believe that the only way to achieve a true sense of accomplishment and fulfilment is through the building of great cities throughout the Galaxy.

Their plan is to create a peaceful united galaxy by allowing all sentient life regardless of species to live equally and justly within a democratic system where everyone has an equal chance for power. The many members of C.R.U.S.S believe that by establishing peace connections with the other sentient life of the Galaxy, they will be able to focus all their resources on constructing Havens, huge cities that span the size of whole continents, allowing the citizens to have an equal quality of living.

However, they are well aware that this will not happen over a single rotation of any given planet, hence why the C.R.U.S.S heavily rely on the hard work and craftsmanship of their citizens, seemingly neglecting scientific advancement and agriculture. They continue to recruit others to their cause and negotiate deals to help further advance the creation of Havens. 

Society

The C.R.U.S.S are a very diverse and multi-cultural society. They believe that any sentient organism has the right to vote and live any which way they wish. This belief has led to many different races and cultures integrating with each other. In turn, this creates a very  diverse, accepting society and justice system that is able to look beyond the way in which one looks.

Political System

The C.R.U.S.S political system is heavily built on democracy. A political system where every citizen has the right to vote, and decide the path that is taken by the C.R.U.S.S, regardless of  ethnicity, religion or  culture. However, when situations that require immediate effect surface, all control over the C.R.U.S.S is handed to the Supreme Chancellor, who is voted for by the people after serving a term of 8 universal years, and their Supreme Court, which is made up of the top 10 candidates who were running for the role of Supreme Chancellor the same year.

THE C.R.U.S.S BEGIN WITH THE FOLLOWING IDEALOGIES:
THE C.R.U.S.S ARE NOT CAPABLE OF THE FOLLOWING IDEALOGIES:
Industrialists
Pacifists 
Militarists

Havens

Havens are large cities that span the size of continents. Every Haven is made up of 4 sectors which can be chosen by the player. The player must individually construct each sector and only once there are 4 completed sectors will the player reap the full benefits of the Haven. The player is also able to create multiple copies of a sector. However, once 4 sectors have been completed they will be classed as a Haven. Only a single Haven can be built per system.

Here are the available sectors:

HAVEN SECTOR
EFFECTS
COST
LORE
Economic Sector
+20% dust
on system

5000 production
The Economic Sector is the home to the largest trade organizations.
Scientific Sector
+20% science
on system

5000 production
The Scientific Sector is the home to the most esteemed universities and technology companies.
Industrial Sector
+20% production
on system

5000 production
The Industrial Sector is the driving force when it comes to the improvement of the local system.
Agricultural Sector
+20% food
on system

5000 production
The Agricultural Sector supplies food to the ever increasing population.
Diplomatic Sector
+20% influence
on system

5000 production
The Diplomatic Sector is the home to the most influential politicians and diplomats.
Residential Sector
+10 population
on system

5000 production
To increase the population Residential Sectors are built to house the denizens.

Complete Haven:

EFFECTS 
LORE
+150 approval and adds bonuses to sectors
The many members of C.R.U.S.S believe that by establishing peace connections with the other sentient life of the Galaxy, they will be able to focus all their resources on constructing Havens, huge cities that span the size of whole continents, allowing the citizens to have an equal quality of living.

Once a complete Haven has been constructed, the following bonuses will be attributed to the sectors:

HAVEN SECTOR
BONUS
Economic Sector
Effects x2
Scientific Sector
Effects x2
Industrial Sector
Effects x3
Agriculture Sector
Effects x2
Diplomatic Sector
Effects x3
Residential Sector
Effects x4

Combat

COMBAT MECHANIC
LORE
When fighting away from an owned system, ships receive these effects:
-40% attack
-20% shielding
-20% defence

The C.R.U.S.S are not accustomed to attacking their foes with full force and struggle to maintain full effectiveness when fighting away from there own systems due to a lack of experience.
When fighting on an owned system, ships receive these effects:
+5% attack
+10% shielding
+10% defence

In the unlikely event that the C.R.U.S.S do enter a war or are forced to defend themselves, it would not be advised that you fight them on their own territory.
When fighting on an owned system with a Haven, ships receive these effects:
+20% attack
+40% shielding
+40% defence

Under no circumstances should one attack a C.R.U.S.S owned system, especially if it is home to a Haven, for they can call for extra air support.

How I believe the C.R.U.S.S should be played

I wanted to portray the idea that the player's main focus, when playing as the C.R.U.S.S, is to construct Havens. I also think that the player should take a very defensive role when it comes to combat and they should also avoid going to war for it is an unfavourable situation to be in. Furthermore, I also wanted the C.R.U.S.S to be played very carefully in terms of the diplomacy and relations with other factions, for that (I hope) will be a very important asset to the player, when it comes to gathering the resources needed to build Havens. Finally, I wanted the Havens to be a sort of main goal by giving them a large production cost to spur the player on to working their ways towards it as well as planning out what sort of sectors they would need in the future.

What I plan to add if I get to the later phases

PHASE 2
In phase 2 I would like to focus on how diverse and multi-cultural my faction is.
PHASE 3
In phase 3 I would like to add special events such as a revolutionary uprising or an economic crisis which leads to rioting.

Feedback

I really need some feedback, so if you have any advice or ways I can improve, I would 100% appreciate it if you could reply to my Idea. Also, please follow as I will be updating quite regularly.

Aqil Ghani

*edit 1: added "Combat"

*edit 2: reduced Haven approva

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 21, 2016, 7:34:39 AM

You have put alot of work behind this... well done :D

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 21, 2016, 11:42:46 AM
Tnecniw wrote:

You have put alot of work behind this... well done :D

Thank you for the feedback Tnecniw, I really appreciate it.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 21, 2016, 2:34:35 PM

Cool ideas here. Great stuff.

A couple questions:

• You say "+500 approval and adds bonuses to sectors", do you really mean 500!?
  • Also, what is the "Blunt Blades" trait supposed to encourage by having ships without weapons on systems? If players make weaponless fleets that hang out on their systems and cost upkeep, that feels pretty anticlimactic. It just doesn't seem to synergize with any playstyle, or I could be missing something.

Keep it up!  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 21, 2016, 5:08:26 PM
carolean7 wrote:

Cool ideas here. Great stuff.

A couple questions:

• You say "+500 approval and adds bonuses to sectors", do you really mean 500!?
  • Also, what is the "Blunt Blades" trait supposed to encourage by having ships without weapons on systems? If players make weaponless fleets that hang out on their systems and cost upkeep, that feels pretty anticlimactic. It just doesn't seem to synergize with any playstyle, or I could be missing something.

Keep it up!  

Thanks for the feedback carolean7, I have made a few changes regarding your advice. I appreciate you taking the time to help me make a better entry.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 22, 2016, 3:11:43 PM

Hey guys,

If any of you find that the way in which this contest was held is unfair in any way I recommend you head over to Hinin's contest entry as well as check out EndlessCrashes's, carolean7's, PANCZASU's and Talross's entries to the contest.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 22, 2016, 3:34:32 PM

This proposition rocks ^^

More seriously : this proposition is really well-made and makes me think of a good mix between the Sowers and the Amoeba.

You could also try adding more elements related to the GDD (you focus on ES and EL mechanics, and I understand that, but there is so much novelties you could exploit) if you think it gives worth to your faction : for example, you didn't give your base population affinity, which is crucial in the new perception the game has of the different populations in your empire.

This faction give me a "Coruscant feeling" : with its faction affinity, you can pretend to a super-tall empire  even bigger than what the Automatons could do in ES (example below), except the conglomerate would even more impressive in the end game.

My unique worry is that the costs of your unique amelioration are staggering : even though the bonus will be enormous, you won't be able to think about creating them before long (I think you should reduce the bonus and the cost of the heavens by half).

(Plus the +10 populations to the system is quite insane when you think about it ^^')

Good luck to you !

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 22, 2016, 4:17:13 PM
Hinin wrote:

This proposition rocks ^^

More seriously : this proposition is really well-made and makes me think of a good mix between the Sowers and the Amoeba.

You could also try adding more elements related to the GDD (you focus on ES and EL mechanics, and I understand that, but there is so much novelties you could exploit) if you think it gives worth to your faction : for example, you didn't give your base population affinity, which is crucial in the new perception the game has of the different populations in your empire.

Good luck to you !

Thanks for the feedback Hinin, I'll get right on that, much appreciated. 

Thank you :-)

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 3:31:13 PM

I really like this submission, it's like a breath of fresh air after a lot of kinda repetitive entries. I like how you encourage the player to be more pacifistic by making havens. Gives the player something to do instead of waging war.

When it comes to constructive criticism, there are two things about the faction and one about the submission itself.

1. The Havens seem way too strong to me at the moment, especially with the extra bonuses they can get. I'd consider making each district inactive until an entire Haven is constructed and only give a temporary  bonus upon completing a Haven. The bonuses should also be smaller. It's a minor thing though, since Amplitude can balance it all out.
  2. I think that the Havens should not have a static  cost but a scaling one, allowing the players to make their first Haven cheaply but making more than a few a challenge. Sure, doesn't make much sense lore-wise but it would serve the gameplay well.
  3. Your submission is a little long. I mean, details are nice and you clearly worked hard on it but writing something like "Once a complete Haven has been constructed, each sector will gain a bonus" instead of making a new table would save you a lot of space.
Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 3:54:07 PM
PANCZASU wrote:

I really like this submission, it's like a breath of fresh air after a lot of kinda repetitive entries. I like how you encourage the player to be more pacifistic by making havens. Gives the player something to do instead of waging war.

When it comes to constructive criticism, there are two things about the faction and one about the submission itself.

1. The Havens seem way too strong to me at the moment, especially with the extra bonuses they can get. I'd consider making each district inactive until an entire Haven is constructed and only give a temporary  bonus upon completing a Haven. The bonuses should also be smaller. It's a minor thing though, since Amplitude can balance it all out.
  2. I think that the Havens should not have a static  cost but a scaling one, allowing the players to make their first Haven cheaply but making more than a few a challenge. Sure, doesn't make much sense lore-wise but it would serve the gameplay well.
  3. Your submission is a little long. I mean, details are nice and you clearly worked hard on it but writing something like "Once a complete Haven has been constructed, each sector will gain a bonus" instead of making a new table would save you a lot of space.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 3:54:15 PM

Final comment, sorry for being so late in the contest. Maybe make the number of Havens allowed linked to the number of population, similar to Burroughs in EL? Overall though, very great idea and well fleshed out. Lots of thought went into this! I like it!  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 3:55:48 PM
carolean7 wrote:

Final comment, sorry for being so late in the contest. Maybe make the number of Havens allowed linked to the number of population, similar to Burroughs in EL? Overall though, very great idea and well fleshed out. Lots of thought went into this! I like it!  

Once again thanks for the feedback, carolean7, much appreciated.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 4:12:14 PM

I like the idea of the Havens and how they prefer Barren planets in which to construct these planet-cities.  Very Coruscant-y!

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 4:13:56 PM
EndlessCrashes wrote:

I like the idea of the Havens and how they prefer Barren planets in which to construct this planet-cities.  Very Coruscant-y!

That was my exact inspiration for the Havens, Coruscant, I am a massive Star Wars fan

0Send private message
Comment