The Orgenians

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 12:32:20 PM

The Orgenians (meaning "gold creators")

The Orgenian Federation

Home Planet: Pecunia

Gameplay: 

Largely economic. The Orgenian faction benefits from increased trade route yields when at peace with other factions. These yields increase as the depth of the relationship with other factions increase, eg alliances produce yield more money for the faction through trade routes than cold war. These leveled trade routes (those with factions with which the Orgenians are allied, etc.) could also increase the influence of the faction. War has an unhappiness penalty. Science is slower unless it helps the economy. Military units take longer to build.

Description: 

Long ago, the Orgenian peoples formed societies; merchant republics and principalities. Growth led to trade among the societies for resources. With time, these trade networks grew and cooperation between the many states of the planet led to great wealth. This led to the creation of the Orgenian Federation, a loose collection of merchant republics and principalities united in the interest of economic growth and expansion. Long lifespans and long memories make the Orgenian people an ancient race which reproduces slowly, but is very deliberate in its action.

The Orgenian Federation is ruled by a Council of Oligarchs, respected, wealthy, and influential representatives of the states of the Federation. The Council has general functions: regulating tariffs and trade, settling disputes, and enrichment of the states. War is bad for business, and leads to significant discontentment and disruption in trade all over the planet. As such, the Council does absolutely everything it can to settle disputes without the use of violence. Its weapon of choice is the trade sanction.

The goal is trade monopoly. The Orgenian Federation seeks to dominate trade to make its member states rich.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 1:45:39 PM

A fine idea indeed. I've seen a few submissions that have something along the lines of "increased benefits from trade routes during peace". This is actually a part of my submission too, but more as a minor trait than the main feature. Though I like how you propose Influence being tied to trade, something I don't remember seeing yet.

Cool stuff. Good luck!  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 25, 2016, 2:16:28 PM

Thank you very much! I must confess I have not checked out the other submissions yet, beyond your own (which is quite impressive and significantly better!). I only saw the contest this morning, and when I saw the number of other submissions it was a bit overwhelming haha!

I figured that trade would come up in a couple other submissions. As for influence, it seemed to make sense to me in that a trade empire would expand its influence through the establishment of trade depots (sub rosa, so therefore a game mechanic and not a buildable item) in friendly neighboring systems.

0Send private message
Comment